FOSS screen space ray tracing with any game and GPU

Keep experimenting with older games - some are just blast!

GTA San Andreas for example (as always - watch fullscreen!)

Before:
Screenshot_20210220_001048

After:
Screenshot_20210220_001058

• All those previously disjointed simple surfaces are now realistically blending
  • Objects which had no shadows now have them
  • Smaller light / shadow details coming…

Magic.

P.S. Forgot to mask the radar which have low-bit transparency artifact :sweat_smile:

What’s with that light blue window frame? :rofl:

Well, that’s question for GTA SA devs :rofl:
this static lighting sometimes is…well…maybe they’re having party, specifically on a frame?! :partying_face:

Shader somewhat mitigates that though, spreading that light just a liiiiiiitle bit to window itself :laughing:

So…DirectX ray tracing as a tech still requires hardware to support it? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is an excellent guide, even for people who are using other distros. Thank you.

I have two questions I keep asking everywhere possible, maybe here I can find the answer for.

1. Is there anyway to install Reshade on native Vulkan games like Doom or RDR 2? Installer completes successfully but the overlay never shows, even after Registry edits. Kevinlekiller, who is the creator of Reshade-Steam-Proton script also tried a few things but never got it working.

2. Only up to Reshade 4.9.1 versions can be installed to DirectX 12 games. Newer Reshade 5.x.x versions don’t work, even though the installation process completes successfully. This is not a big problem for now, as many shaders still work with Reshade 4.x.x but they are slowly mandating Reshade 5 versions as a requirement, beginning with the famous RTGI shader.

If these two problems can be solved, I strongly believe many showcase videos of newer games will come and it’ll be a good presentation for Linux gaming. I personally can not wait to brag about my RDR 2 and AC: Valhalla videos with Ray Tracing and other color corrections.

1 Like
  1. Yes, it should work with native vulkan perfectly fine (not native Linux games though), i don’t have Vulkan game at hand now to re-test it quickly.

No comments on

Reshade-Steam-Proton script

As i’m not familiar with it and prefer manual approach anyway :space_invader:

2. Any v5 ReShade version works perfectly fine with DirectX 12 as well (unless some specific game have problem)
    Have you read the guide btw? :upside_down_face:
    You don’t need to “install”, just unzip and copy .dlls

unzip "ReShade_Setup.exe" -d "./ReShade" 

Thank you for the quick response. I have followed the guide to the letter, and even tried the dll overriding. None worked.

Back in the day, Reshade 4.x.x versions had a non-installation method. You could enable it globally for Vulkan, or you could simply leave the setup.exe open in the background. I tried that for Vulkan games as well, but it didn’t work either.

Summary of it:

1. Open GL and DirectX up to 11: newest Reshade works and problem-free.

2. DirectX 12: Reshade works only up to 4.9.1

3. Vulkan games: nothing works. Log file says it can hook to the game process but no overlay.

That’s weird, something is wrong here… :thinking:
Have you tried to ask ReShade forum / devs?

I have tried again with Cyberpunk 2077, AC: Valhalla and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. None works. There is a file named Reshade.log is created, though.

I did ask this in Reshade Discord forums, BTW. They said they didn’t support Linux and didn’t know why it didn’t work. They also added, they couldn’t think of any reason for newer versions to not work because there isn’t any difference between V5 and V4 as for the hooking part.

On Reshade forums, other people have also asked the same questions, none got a solution.

1 Like

Well, their changelog sounded like “we’ve rewritten everything!”, so who knows… :rofl:
But if it’s true, then next logical candidate for change could be dxvk

P.S. I mean VKD3D, or whatever current dx12 layer is called, try to ask here https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton

1 Like

Good news for fans of something other than proprietary Nvidia RTX as “official” hardware based solution, since i’ve written this article other big boys like AMD and Intel started to implement their own Ray tracing solutions, they may have less performance here and there and still have some of those questionable aspects defined in this article…but hey - progress and competition is a good thing!

https://youtu.be/kANMoO-TvDs

One more reason to drop NoVidya :rofl:

2 Likes

There were many interesting changes in recent version, i have no time right now to finish the guide and correct some missing spots, so enjoy his new site meanwhile:
https://www.martysmods.com/rtgi/

The team now called MartysMods, and suite iMMERSE / iMMERSE pro
This site full of very cool guides as well.