Firefox 115: some add-ons may be blocked from running on certain sites 😮

TL;DR

Firefox users who run add-ons that are not monitored by Mozilla may notice a new notification in Firefox when they visit certain sites. The notification informs them that “some extensions are not allowed” and were blocked from running on that site.

Mozilla writes on a support page: “As of Firefox version 115, we have introduced a new back-end feature to only allow some extensions monitored by Mozilla to run on specific websites for various reasons, including security concerns”.

Mozilla makes no mention of the scope of this and the support article is extremely vague. The change is called Quarantined Domains by Mozilla.

There is however a way of reverting this (for now?):

1. Load about:config in the Firefox address bar.
  2. Click Accept the Risk and Continue, if the prompt appears.
  3. Search for extensions.quarantinedDomains.enabled.
  4. Set it to FALSE.
  5. Restart Firefox.
5 Likes

I like this part!

No shady privacy policies or back doors for advertisers. Just a lightning fast browser that doesn’t sell you out.

Edit:

Do what you do online.

Firefox Browser isn’t watching.

We block the ad trackers. You explore the internet faster.

1 Like

What the…?!

honka_animated-128px-14

1 Like

That is called “marketing spin”

4 Likes

I like it and i do believe they are still better than most other browsers. :wink:

1 Like

3 Likes

I do like it! It’s the best…est!

1 Like

It seems intrusive to me, like if I were a child that needed help about my plugins.
But I don’t have a complete understanding or formed opinion about it yet…

4 Likes

I personally don’t have a problem with some add ons not running on certain sites as long as it’s not my ad blocker. :rofl:

2 Likes

hm, strange…
Now in Gnome, if I search for something, my browser history pops up in the search.

1 Like

I just got Firefox 115 also.

1 Like

Have you already made the change to false ?

1 Like

For the new feature? Blocking some addons on certain sites? No i haven’t. I’m going to run with it. I probably won’t have any issues. I don’t go to that many sites and the sites i do go to are probably not the ones referred to. :wink:

Edit: I only use 3 add ons

ublock origin
video downloader helper
youtube video & audio downloader

Guess well see. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

privacy redirect and skip redirect It is not actively monitored by Mozilla for security

I use
UBlock origin
Canvas Blocker
Dark Reader
and the two listet above

let’s see what happens.

1 Like

In case you’ve missed it, it’s just how Rick rolls… :rofl:
If things that he likes and has no problem with will throw h-bomb on his city - he’ll still love it! :rofl:

I think it should be fine. Especially if you are using ones that are recommended by Firefox.

1 Like

I only use stuff that works! Otherwise it goes in the waste basket! :rofl:

1 Like

hmm, now there is a profile manager built in…

1 Like

It’s a Gnome issue. :rofl:

What? Gnome is problems free… :sweat_smile: