Ext4 HDD drive speed fall

I’ve tested speed of my ext4 HDD disk and finding this a little weird…
Speed measured with KDiskMark SEQ1M Q8T1 x3 runs of 32 Mb

Clean disk:

Read  196 MB/s
Write 133 MB/s

Filled disk (2,9 TiB out of 3,6 TiB, 87% used):

Read  107 MB/s
Write  88 MB/s

I mean, obviously speed should fall somewhat when disk is filled, but that feels like waaayyy too much.
Any explanations, ideas, suggestions?

• what is the version of kernel linux ?
  • your disk is filled above 87% , it’s write on the end disk , speed is less in this case
3 Likes

Sounds like time to purge! :wink:

@Stephane
LTS Kernel
Less of course, but it’s almost twice including read speed, come on! :exploding_head:

@ricklinux
No way, it’s new disk and perfectly healthy.

You got it almost full already? :thinking:

Sure coz i’ve used this for data i already had, and used previous one exactly same model as backup

I have 4 TB sitting here empty. lol

cat pictures! i warned you!

2 Likes

@Stephane is right, spinning platters have to keep seeking to the end of the data area before they can write. Reading requires inspection of the allocation tables before seek.

2 Likes

Of course, but again almost / 2?
I don’t think i’ve seen such massive reduction before.
Usually it something like 10-30 MB/s difference at worst i believe…

File system vs Disk.

Could well be ext4 journal writing slowing it down as the disk fills?

1 Like

Yeah i’d expect something like that to a degree…

But how to check, fix it then?
To me it looks like some anomaly, buggy behavior perhaps, given amount of decrease.

What i did with this disk was just copy all the data from the other older same model disk, i did this with Dolphin file manager at the time, which was…very long, compared to something like rsync which i’ve recently encountered, thx to @dalto :slight_smile:

Jesus…That guy received question with even more hardcore example :exploding_head:

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdc1

tune2fs 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
Filesystem volume name:   STORAGE 2
Last mounted on:          /run/media/x133/STORAGE 2
Filesystem UUID:          0b6b7c6d-1d51-414c-a103-d911dc51cfee
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent 64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum
Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash 
Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
Filesystem state:         clean
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              244195328
Block count:              976754176
Reserved block count:     48837708
Overhead clusters:        15616772
Free blocks:              112144913
Free inodes:              243873374
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Group descriptor size:    64
Reserved GDT blocks:      1024
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         8192
Inode blocks per group:   512
Flex block group size:    16
Filesystem created:       Sat May  1 15:07:34 2021
Last mount time:          Fri May  7 19:00:49 2021
Last write time:          Fri May  7 19:00:49 2021
Mount count:              4
Maximum mount count:      -1
Last checked:             Sat May  1 15:07:51 2021
Check interval:           0 (<none>)
Lifetime writes:          3299 GB
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:               256
Required extra isize:     32
Desired extra isize:      32
Journal inode:            8
Default directory hash:   half_md4
Directory Hash Seed:      b10db4fc-ca1c-4602-b8df-88db7bf5d983
Journal backup:           inode blocks
Checksum type:            crc32c
Checksum:                 0x3a6445bc

Do you have any extra drives to test with? I would be curious if xfs would perform differently in this context than ext4.

I do have some drives, but none i could use as a test at the moment, maybe in some months later i could use one of my backups for such test, why not :upside_down_face:

If you have a backup and some free time you could try fstransform

1 Like

Ouch…That looks creepy :ghost:

As it may be that your drive is beginning to fail (and it is not a good idea to have a drive filled to such a high percentage - I don’t like to have my drives go above 60% filled) I would suggest that you consider doing what I do: have more than one backup drive of the largest size you can afford.

In my case, to back up my entire computer, I have four (4) 4 TB drives, all containing the same data. They are all only about 11% filled. I update them all daily. Obviously, being filled to such a small amount, they read and write very quickly.

I formerly had 1 TB drives but they filled up too rapidly; I then bought 2 TB drives but they were filling up rapidly as well so I bought the 4 TB drives. These should last for quite some time. (I also have a fifth 4 TB drive which I keep in the safe-deposit box in my bank; I update that one only once every three months so the most I could lose would be three months’ worth of data ]and that would happen only if all 4 of my dives failed - not likely - or if I “goof” - which I did once!]).

I should also mention that I currently use those older smaller drives to store just my music, pictures, and videos (even though they are also stored on my main 4 TB drives). That is a lot of redundancy but I don’t want to take a chance of losing anything, especially those pictures, music, and videos.

These are just my thoughts on reading your posting but I hope that it is of some interest and help to you.

Best of luck.

Lawrence

P.S. My ‘main’ 4 TB drives are formatted as EXT 4 and they are encrypted. The older 1 and 2 TB drives used just for music, pictures, and videos are formatted NTFS and are unencrypted.

any try by defrag ?

1 Like

@lhb1142
While i agree with your strategy overall - it’s a little overkill for me, especially considering drives prices :slight_smile:

Oh and like i’ve said before - i’m 100% certain this drive is not failing or anything like that, it’s perfectly fine, quadruple checked new one.

@Stephane
Like this?

sudo e4defrag -c "/run/media/x133/STORAGE 2/"

Yeah i did, it said something like:

Fragmentation score                            0
 [0-30 no problem: 31-55 a little bit fragmented: 56- needs defrag]
 This directory (/run/media/x133/STORAGE 2/) does not need defragmentation.
 Done.

It would be pretty odd for a drive that you did a mass single copy of data to have heavy fragmentation.

2 Likes