Epic Games announce full Easy Anti-Cheat support for Linux including Wine & Proton

Today, Easy Anti-Cheat from Epic Games / Epic Online Services has officially announced a full expansion for Linux including native builds and Wine + Proton. This is big for Linux Gaming and the Steam Deck.

For those who don’t know, Epic Games owns Easy Anti-Cheat and earlier this year they made it free for all developers making Windows games. Today this has been expanded to fully support developers doing native Linux games (and macOS too).

Not only that, this is the big one we’ve been waiting for — they’ve also expanded Easy Anti-Cheat support officially for the Wine and Steam Play Proton compatibility layers.

More…

6 Likes

About damn time!

1 Like

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gobble gobble!

1 Like

So now we get to have all the nice rootkits like our windoze friends?

Meh… I think I’ll pass.

Maybe you confuse it with that crap (which you absolutely should NOT ever use or support on any platform)?

P.S. Not that i’ve liked Easy Anti-Sh*t or something :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah, these anti-cheats, they all look the same to me. Epic, Denuvo?

Denuvo is the most malicious, because it requires Kernel mods (both windoze / Linux) to work.

Always check your game for Denuvo Games news - #60 by keybreak.

More on that https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Denuvo#Controversy

3 Likes

That’s usually not the problem with the games I play… :wink:

2 Likes

Pong? :rofl:

3 Likes

Asteroids on Eico Model 460…

2 Likes

Well, how are we gonna make people switch to Linux if we don’t allow anti cheat software in the OS?

Well afaik they would be to a lesser extent. They would have to have some sort of kernel interface to be as bad as Windows. I dont think running in proton they would have the same level of access as the Win counterparts no? Especially if you like to sandbox your steam/proton stuffs.

same, I generally dont deal in Anti Cheat Enabled games, but i have friends that do unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ah yes, finally I can play Apex on linux. Time to remove my last Windows installation (on my gaming PC).

3 Likes

This is excellent news. I see that the possibility of me ditching Windows entirely is coming sooner!

2 Likes

Another one jumps on the anti-cheat bandwagon… :+1:

BattlEye anti-cheat confirms Steam Deck support

BattlEye, which is used in games including Destiny 2 and PUBG, said today that it will run on Proton on Valve’s handheld.

2 Likes