EOS LiveCD Add Timeshift Application Request

Today I had to revert my system back to my last backup in Timeshift. It was my first time doing so under EOS, but unfortunately, I hit a brick wall. The LiveCD does not include Timeshift, which normally is fine as I could usually add it via terminal, except that I could not. There were lots of errors that prevented me from adding Timeshift in the LiveCD environment. I am assuming its because the system needed to be updated, probably something conflicting??

I had to then download an Ubuntu livecd, run it and add Timeshift, which worked and revert my EOS to a working system.

Is there anyway to get Timeshift added to the EOS LiveCD for reasons stated above?

3 Likes

hello, a software that is on aur

2 Likes

Please do sudo pacman -Sy before trying to install packages. Refreshing mirrors on live iso is also favorable.

Hi, a software that EOS promotes on their own wiki?

Link here.

1 Like

fwiw, Timeshift comes with Mint’s and Manjaro’s iso. I used Manjaro’s just the other day to restore a system.

2 Likes

While we suggest it, we obviously have no control over AUR packages as we are not the maintainers. That being said you need to refresh the repositories.

Unfortunately, that usually doesn’t work out well on a livecd environment, at least from my experience. It would be easier to just include the app EOS promotes to use for backup, link above, on the LiveCD.

2 Likes

I had to do the same with a Manjaro stick because Timeshift could not be installed in the EOS live session. When I suggested to put Timeshift into the ISO I was just dumped.

1 Like

Works as suggested every time I have tried it. This is really a non issue but let us see what others have to say.

2 Likes

I think a good argument could be made for inclusion of Timeshift into the endeavouros repo, just like yay is included.

Though, personally, I have no problem using the AUR version and a good argument can also be made against including it into endeavouros repo. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

This is about the Live-ISO, especially for the case of a quick restore when the system can no longer be booted. What is the problem?

1 Like

From live ISO…

Screenshot_2020-09-12_14-33-43

2 Likes

Well, although myself i don’t really use it, but only good argument for it would be - it being offline for offline .iso

Sometimes you just don’t have internet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good point. Also, I was lucky to have my original EOS install usb handy. If you can’t boot into your PC and can’t download and install an updated EOS iso/usb, which is what @BONK is using, then you are stuck. The best solution is to include Timeshift on the LiveCD.

Maybe it’s just me but what exactly happened to this theoretical system that caused it to need timeshift if it didn’t have internet acess?

Even if it was included you would still need to update the repositories :yum:

1 Like

Furthermore, the timeshift installed with yay required cronie to start, which could not be installed in my live session.

1 Like

That’s really not an issue, though :smiley: You wouldn’t use it to schedule taking snapshots on a live image anyway.

All endeavouros install iso’s and installed systems require cronie to be installed for the AUR package timeshift to work.

but if you from iso and chroot in, isn’t not possible that you do just timeshift --restore ?

im a sucker on this… always naive to think they have mayby a grub option for that ?

3 Likes

No @ringo that absolutely works as well we are debating the lazy way to do things :yum:

3 Likes