EOS LiveCD Add Timeshift Application Request

It is is just YOU. Does it matter what happened? No. I am not sure why you are so against this it, but regardless, we have heard your opinion. You don’t want it. Got it, message received, but there seems to be others that do want it.

No you would not. It if it is on the Live environment, I would just use Timeshift. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Right, but Timeshift will not start if cronie cannot find it.

1 Like

Because it does not come without a price. It is yet another thing to maintain when building an ISO image. We don’t want the Antergos situation to happen again, where it became too difficult to maintain.

Now, I don’t think including Timeshift is that big of a deal, but add one thing and another and another and soon it will be.

It most certainly will. Just don’t use the GUI. You don’t need the GUI to restore a snapshot, just run sudo timeshift --restore.

5 Likes

Apparently you are getting agitated so I will leave it at this. You are requesting the dev’s time for a feature that is easily done in under ten minutes with the live ISO.

I get the weighty decision against adding to many apps to the LiveCD, but this app, which again, EOS promotes as a backup solution, can only function as a ‘restore’ if it is included on a Live CD. It doesn’t make sense not to include it. That is just my opinion.

1 Like

A dev’s time, not a forum moderator. You and I have had our issues in the past, and you seem to jump all over any post I create. Lets just part ways with a :wave:t2:

That’s not really true, as shown above. It is certainly much more convenient if it is on the live ISO, of course, but you don’t really need it to restore a snapshot. In 99% of cases you can just chroot and run it from the terminal.

4 Likes

How about say a page added to the helper app that launches when one first lands on the desktop in live. Just press the appropriate button and a list of apps one may need to get back into their installed OS, maybe with brief instruction on installing them in the live? I’m with you on not adding too much. I really enjoyed not having too much installed out of the gate. Didn’t have to remove a bunch of items I just don’t use.

1 Like

or mainline is also nothing from aur. :slight_smile:

in repo there are also like borg…mayby can write something usefull… my friend got some hooks and makes with borg his snapshots. but have to ask im…

since i am a backupless user.

2 Likes

Yes true, command line away, but I am a GUI guy and commands make me twitchy. :crazy_face: :laughing:

1 Like

chrooting is not so dificult most do with arch-chroot…

im used to systemd-nspawn since its always there…

mount needed volumes to /mnt , then systemd-nspawn /mnt

chrooted :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, why are you using EndeavourOS, which is marketed as “a terminal-centric distro”?

It you are a “GUI guy” and choose to use a terminal-centric distro, that’s a bit like saying: “I like warm weather” and moving to Antarctica. :wink:

Of course, a necessary disclaimer, since this is a FRIENDLY forum: please note, this is not meant to sound like: “get out, we don’t want your kind here” at all, or to imply that there is something wrong with being a “GUI guy”. Not at all! Please do not interpret it that way. It is just a question out of curiosity. To other FRIENDLY people here, here is no need to remind me, again, that being friendly is important for the community. I’m VERY FRIENDLY, trust me.

5 Likes

No it is an honest question, and one I have posted about in another thread. I find that tagline misleading, greatly. I have installed and used EOS basically using GUI’s. In fact, I find that tagline, “…a terminal-centric distro” confusing and misleading when EOS includes a LiveCD GUI with all the automated tools, including picking a desktop environment.

Upon boot, you are presented with more EOS automated GUI tools, kernel chooser, the Welcome app, etc. There is really no need for a terminal, nor did I ever use one, except for maybe installing pamac, but after that, adios terminal.

I think you terminal geeks just want to believe it is a terminal centric distro, when it is actually a GUI centric one. :rofl: #flipthescript

5 Likes

Fair enough :joy:

4 Likes

I’ll answer your question from my point of view. The big plus for me even though I’m mainly a GUI person is the fact as I stated above is I can install the OS and have little to nothing to have to remove once I’m on the desktop. I don’t get a message telling me if I remove something something else that I do want will also be remove even though the two items should have nothing to do with each other.

3 Likes

In a nutshell EOS is just simply easy to use rather you’re terminal or gui centric.

2 Likes

You beat me to it! Just choot and restore!

3 Likes

Just my 2 cents Why is not having timeshift such a problem,
Learn to do things the Arch way it is so simple, Instead of relying on a program that is not ever needed in reality, If users bothered to learn how to maintain their system, You the user break the system, But really you don’t as it can be fixed easy.
Update causes you a problem use the Arch rollback repros, mess up grub Arch chroot, Back ups of your system you don’t need the all the data is their to be up and running in mins.

The only important data is your personal data music films etc they should not be in your home partition,
The correct way is /boot / everything else should be on another partition all personal files etc.

Some arch users install once and forget many users have the same install for 5,10,15 + years and never reinstalled.

And there we are talking of hrs if a install is successful then blaming Arch Linux Does not make sense to me not to learn.

4 Likes

but if grub is dualble you can always this in the line : of the kernels : systemd.unit=multi-user.target

it goes directly to tty. if that works you able to chroot in…

3 Likes

Or just type 3 after quiet in grub then F10

3 Likes