Emojis missing in title bars

When I first installed EOS, I had missing emojis in Discord. So I installed the noto-fonts-emoji package and got back emojis in channel names:

However they’re still missing in title bars:

What font package(s) do I need to fix this?

Does this also occur on Linux-lts? It could be a 5.14 issue.

1 Like

This has been occuring before the upgrade to 5.14 still.

Have you tried this?

2 Likes

Untitled

As you can see, I got a little carried away with the blur and smudge tool :stuck_out_tongue: I always see people blur out various parts of their Discord, so I just gave it a try. Trying to respect peoples privacy of course!

But as you can see from my screenshot above, I’m able to see emojis in the top and bottom of my Discord. I’m on Gnome 40 btw, using the ttf-ubuntu-font-family package from the Community Repos, since it was the closest thing I could use that resemble the fonts that I previously had on Pop!_OS. Maybe give that font a try and see how things go?

Screenshot from 2021-09-11 07-21-56

1 Like

btw, as a side note - if you’re serious about censoring sensitive info from screenshots - don’t use blur or smudge edits, better just pure colors.

There are deep learning (CUDA / OpenCL) hacker scripts publicly available, which can de-blur all that stuff very accurately…:male_detective:

1 Like

Yes I am aware of that, I just considered this a low risk, as it’s a public Discord server and I barely even use Discord myself, so I’m not too worried even if that screenshot was unblurred, it wouldn’t really reveal anything that isn’t public already, but I understand what you mean. Had it been a screenshot of something sensitive like a bank statement, I’d had blocked it out with giant black blocks for sure :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, I tried both @Scotty_Trees and @Kresimir font suggestions, not sure which one fixed it, but it works.

Love ya guys. Gonna go ahead and add these fonts & fontconfig steps to my personal Arch guide :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.