Does Librewolf have any unique settings?

I only discovered Librewolf a few minutes ago from reading the Yandex thread, so I installed it and I’m testing it now

It seems great but all I see is Firefox with some default settings changed and Ublock installed.
Is there anything that makes it different than Firefox other than changing a few settings? I know it’s based on Firefox but is there anything new added like how Brave has all the extra settings Chromium doesn’t have?

It is Firefox without some things. It is supposed to be more private and more secure

2 Likes

I suppose the purpose of these FF based browsers like Waterfox, Librewolf is to remove features rather than adding. Eg. Waterfox removes Pocket support by default.
Librewolf includes these two user.js files

From https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/docs/

Features

• Latest Firefox — LibreWolf is compiled directly from the latest build of Firefox Stable. You will have the the latest features, and security updates.
  • Independent Build — LibreWolf uses a build independent of Firefox and has its own settings, profile folder and installation path. As a result, it can be installed alongside Firefox or any other browser.
  • No phoning home — Embedded server links and other calling home functions are removed. In other words, minimal background connections by default.
  • User settings updates — We keep up with gHacks-user.js and pyllyukko’s user.js
  • Extensions firewall: limit internet access for extensions.
  • Multi-platform
  • Community-Driven
2 Likes

Thanks for the answers guys

It seems like a good fork, hopefully it doesn’t get abandoned

1 Like

Hope Mozilla doesn’t take away the possibility of user.js. So nice to just throw in a user.js in the profile and all settings are in place!

1 Like

I can’t help myself, but this word “pyllyukko” makes me laugh. I’m not sure if you know this, but “pyllyukko” is Finnish word and in English it is something like “buttman”… :joy:

4 Likes

Wish I knew that before I posted it :laughing:
I hope its not an offensive word. Because then I’ll edit my post.

What’s offensive in butt? We all have it… :grin:

2 Likes

I want to present my point but that will derail the discussion :rofl:

1 Like

inb4 someone gets offended on behalf of the buttless people. Not someone without a butt, of course, but someone perfectly able-bodied who wants to signal to us how virtuous he is. :rofl:

1 Like

Librewolf was presented in a DistroTube video.
He praised the Firefox base without the telemetry and some other stuff.
I have it installed in two computers, so far so good.
Only that when I run the update, the Librewolf aur package was flagged as out of date or orphaned.
Didn’t had much time to learn what is all about, maybe this weekend will solve this.

2 Likes

Let’s keep this thread on its initial track. A bit of fun here and there isn’t harmful, but for the sake of clarity and focus let’s keep it on track.
Thanks

It’s no longer flagged out-of-date on the AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/librewolf-bin/

Just update, and all will be well (hopefully).

1 Like

Here’s the reason (it was 3-4 days delay after Firefox update):

This delay will be resolved, and even then it’s very fast compared to other hardened browsers like GNU IceCat :upside_down_face:

Where to add a user.js to Firefox?

Go to about:profiles and Root Directory on the profile you want use. Just put it in there.

1 Like

For those of you who want to test user.js in Firefox. Create your own profile for it. It changes a lot so all web pages may not work properly.

Have a regular profile and one that has extra protection with user.js and all other settings. Have a different theme on them and it’s easy to see which one you’re on. For example, one with a bright theme for regular use and one with black theme when you want to be a little more secret! :wink:

^^
You mean 2 user.js files? Will you explain this bit more?

No, 2 different profiles. One regular and one with user.js.

Edit:

All profiles in Firefox can have different settings.

^^
What are the things you block with your user.fs? What are the useful ones to block as you see it?