Do you guys use EndeavourOS as your main system for work?

Cinnamon FTW!

EnOS is my main systen now.
It used to be Debian Stablet

1 Like

I use Arch (btw.), but am hanging around here anyway. :wink:

I have to use Windows 10 for work. Crucial, given that installing, packaging, deploying and upgrading the OS is actually my job :joy:

But I’ve used Linux full time at home for about 18 months now, through various distros. I still distro hop from time to time, as I’ve got a handful of SSDs on my desk which I can swap in and out very easily, but I use Endeavour as my main OS.

Yes, I still have a drive with Win10 on it, just for emergencies, but I try to stick to Linux where possible, and get fidgety and frustrated now when I can’t use it :smiley:

As a developer having a Linux environment makes my life easier. All my code is backed up and my tooling is easy enough to set up. I’m never more than 20mins away from having a completely reusable (for work) system again so it’s very low risk for me to run any distro. That said, to avoid any potential complications on my desktop PC I won’t run updates during work hours.

3 Likes

Still at schoool, so my main laptop runs EOS. No breaks and not even snapshots

1 Like

Yes, I’m using EndeavourOS as my main system, BUT after years of using any digital (non-analog) system, I have learned to make multiple backups regularly. That way, whatever happens to my main OS, I know that I have the same backup stored in different places.

Hah, I learned this the hard way. The way frequent updates pop up in Arch one is tempted to update during work hours too. I had issues with a time critical project because of an update once (I didn’t notice that one of the package being updated was mariadb).

1 Like

Ironically, I learned this from Windows. In a similar situation I had a mandatory restart to apply updates enforced by company policy, and rather than wait until the time it was due to run I decided to “get it out of the way” when I went off to lunch. Completely borked my system and spent the next few hours setting everything up again.

4 Likes

I really want to try it out , but having to configure everything again stops me from it ;at least for now

2 Likes

I have been running EOS for the last two weeks on 2 laptops. One is the main workstation with a big 32in monitor attached and used for remote login to work, zoom, etc. The other is to figure things out :slight_smile:

1 Like

i use mij enos As my main system :slight_smile: and pitty me no backups :stuck_out_tongue:

this runs round a year =-) is good :slight_smile:

I am surprised at how many people run with no backups. Even if you have full confidence in your OS and/or your ability to fix problems or issues… there is no ‘fix’ to catastrophic hardware failures. I didn’t bother with backups until I had a hard drive fail and I lost some photos and videos of my deceased parents and my kids when they little - neither of which could be recovered or replaced.

I get the idea that not everyone wants/need TimeShift snapshots - since many can rebuild OS and applications from new almost as quickly (or quicker than?) restoring from a snapshot … but I’d ask everyone to make sure they are at least making a conscious decision to about backing up or not backing up at least some of your data.

Sorry if I got a little too preachy there, but I’ve suffered through this one and am just hoping to maybe help some others avoid any future heartache.

8 Likes

yeah, I think it’s important to get out of the “it won’t happen to me” mindset if you’ve got important data you don’t want lost. I don’t have anything that I’d be absolutely devastated if I lost (more just sorely inconvenienced) and that’s reason enough for me to have syncthing on several different devices so I won’t lose that data + having a server backup.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but what I rely on mostly is redundant copies. All my data is separate from my /home - and on data drives on different systems. Timeshift is there for time-saving… but I’ve had terrible luck with backup systems! (right back to when tape drives were a thing) - quite often I had them - and couldn’t use them! (due to ageing out in some cases). Wish me luck! and good ssh’ing :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, when my team was taken over by another more open company, I switched over to using EndeavourOS on my work box (from Ubuntu). Of course I have to provide my own support ;-), that is where this forum shines in making this possible.
One my colleagues has recently switched over to using EndeavourOS as well.

4 Likes

some documents are on external some data can be removed if failed,

i have always a updated usb :slight_smile: i just chroot in eventually fix or downgrade if needed.

i try to backupn but is not for the whole system :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use EndeavourOS on my work machines and so far have had no issues other than what I have self created, and with help from the support team been able to resolve. I’m very happy with it and don’t see anything changing anytime soon. I havent needed frequent help, but I have to say when I did, they were right there, ya cant ask for more!

5 Likes

Good nights sometime ago about more than 10 years starts to know about the Linux in my first Distribution I see Suse and imagine the future of this systems and now see the effects in this nice distribution.
I probe and test more than 115 distributions and never see a high performance in a netbook Intel Atom N455 whith 2 GB RAM.
Use in my home and work too I be a WordPress Designer in Blogs and SEO have my own Blog speaks about Linux and have another Proyect a University of Linux.
Congratulations to all staff God Bless you.

6 Likes

Welcome! :pray:

1 Like