DistroTube's Top 5 Arch Based Distros

… and the answer is 42

6 Likes

And the problem for us is the computer that solves the question runs debian 42. . .

So we’ve got. . . . Eternity left to go still.

3 Likes

Be gentle with people that need to feed their families doing a job.
Manjaro is a company.
DT is a for-profit Linux Media presenter.
Do the math :man_shrugging:

1 Like

fullyclotheddoom
Go fbm just do it!

4 Likes

Well, I used to think he’s a good Linux YouTuber but most of the things he says are really controversial.

Don’t know what criteria he used to rank the distros but it seemed like he just wanted to say Manjaro good. Manjaro is ok is it good … ehhh. I think he ranked them according to new user-friendliness.

Anyway, DT is not a fan of minimal stuff he loves bloated stuff even his own Arco install. Whatever any YouTuber says we know which distro falls where. I personally have stopped watching him.

2 Likes

Guys starting a hate war here won’t really benefit anyone. Topics like these are highly subjective. For me my top choice is arch+dwm > Manjaro kde > eos i3/xfce. Manjaro has it’s goods and bads and their is a reason why more people stick to manjaro not eos. Also sometime please visit forum.manjaro.org to see how much people are helpful their and not wasting their time on topics like this.

Manjaro number one :partying_face:

In reality distro like eos serves no real purpose as now there is a script to install arch under 5 min built in the iso. eos people just want to talk about having a good community which just a bunch of people sharing memes music and youtube videos to each. most links here come from manjaro foum how to’s

Dt is a highly experienced linux user and I repect his ranking. manjaro is the best arch based distro. eos should have been 2nd.

Manjaro > eos > o > artix > garuda > arco

also him reviewing the lxde version was a little bad

1 Like

and why is that bad. see the benifits:

• enable developers to commit full time to Manjaro and its related projects;
  • interact with other developers in sprints and events around Linux;
  • protect the independence of Manjaro as a community-driven project, as well as protect its brand;
  • provide faster security updates and a more efficient reaction to the needs of users;
  • provide the means to act as a company on a professional level.

The Manjaro team also shed some light on how it’s going to stay committed to the community:

The mission and goals of Manjaro will remain the same as before – to support the collaborative development of Manjaro and its widespread use. This effort will continue to be supported through donations and sponsorship and these will not, under any circumstances, be used by the established company.

if you can’t handle eos to be 4th then better not cry about it

also what will you do if eos meets the same fate as antegros. Fork it haha because that won’t happen with a professional distro like manjaro

Maybe not to you. But still, there are people who wish to use an easier method to install Arch. That script is still not as user-friendly as a GUI-based installer. Until Arch itself get an easier installation system distro like enos will remain relevant.

No one seems to be starting any hate war. They were just commenting on what they thought and felt. But from your comments, it seems you might start one.

Well, I think most links are from Arch Wiki and there’s nothing wrong with using a solution that has been proven regardless of the distribution. And we don’t hate Manjaro.

So what’s wrong with that? That’s what communities do.

Who’s crying we’re just having some fun. But it seems you’re triggered because some people don’t like Manjaro.

There’s always Arch itself or many other Arch-based minimal distributions.

Well, remember Mandriva Linux?

6 Likes

My list is

1. Obarun
  2. Artix
  3. Endeavour
  4. Arco
  5. Manjaro
1 Like

DT generally makes good videos, he has a lot of nice intros to WM and he is using arch, terminal, vim and emacs a lot. He generally knows what he is talking about. No two cents YouTuber and has been around for a while.

3 Likes

Well, it’s just a top five list of one man with a personal preference. So what? :man_shrugging:

When it comes to Linux tubers, DT is one of the least bad in my opinion. And even though I disagree with him on many things, his views on important issues, like Free Software, are almost completely aligned with mine. And he is very opinionated, something I like and respect. That doesn’t mean he is correct most of the time, though, but he is successful at what he does, his channel is quite popular, his clickbait is subtle enough to work, and more often than not, his videos have entertainment value.

I would not recommend anyone using DT’s videos for technical reference or as a learning resource, though, because they are full of incorrect details. If you do on your computer what he does in his videos, you’re probably going to end up in a partial update or something like that. But hey, at least he doesn’t tell you to use BleachBit, lol. Therefore, I would take it all with a grain of salt, and verify everything using the Arch Wiki, especially when it comes to his more technical videos on topics like system maintenance, scripting, etc… As an example, in this video, his description of the Chaotic AUR as a “different kind of AUR” is just downright wrong. It shows the typical lack of research that YouTube is so known for.

That said, Manjaro #1 Arch-based distro? LOL :rofl:

However, the Linux content we are in desperate need of on YouTube is tequila and trash talking other Linux YouTubers. So, @fbodymechanic, get to work!

4 Likes

I agree, and I will sub to him in a heartbeat. Also, if YT doesn’t allow it go with Odessy.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how does this work in practice?

1 Like

Aaaarch…what’s that?

Taylor Swift Linux FTW!

4 Likes

By lagging behind Arch. :rofl:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: :grinning: :smiley: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

I use his videos more as an inspiration to try new things, I generally also start with arch wiki, it’s so well done and one of the reasons I prefer arch based distros.

1 Like

who care! everyone have different opinion ,need+likes . ( that 100% ok )
its alway same " this better, that better " Use what work for you + support it. The world will keep turn. :wink:

( be happy you have different choice other than window or mac )

9 Likes

Opinion is BLOAT! :rofl:

5 Likes