Deepin 20 Arrived

Why would you ever want to run a program that behaves like that? :thinking:

Because it looks cool? I mean, why else would you run DDE?

1 Like

I’m just trying to understand how it could go from being pretty good version 15 to this crap!

Well, to be fair, it is still in beta.

Well, I hope they will change this before going live. There is no way I’m going to install it as is.

That’s not arch deepin.

If you post a thread called gnome is great there will be 100 posts in an hour about why it sucks. Post a plasma is great thread there will be 100 posts about why it sucks. Post a deepin is great there will be 500 posts about why it sucks. It’s just the way people are. You will never see someone talk about what deepin does right just what they think it does wrong.

I didn’t mean to bring negativity to the thread. I would just never install another time an app (any app) that is obviously broken. I have no doubt that Deepin is a wonderful DE in its way, even though I’ve never used it and probably never will.

If I had any intention of trying it again, I would investigate whether that deepin-user-experience-daemon is in the setup that an Arch-type system would install. Certainly the update mechanisms aren’t going to phone home from Arch!

Oh - and why not trying it again? I couldn’t even get it to work on such basics as allowing me to login… :grin:

For me it just freezes on V20. It’s left a bad impression. Version 15 at least worked.

I couldn’t even get in to see if it worked on the first try (some customized greeter I think), but the second try seemed to have switched to lightdm, and I could get in, but remained unimpressed - and remained locked out if the screensaver activated (same as first time greeter). Perhaps it is needless to mention that the ‘spot’ on my system is now awaiting something else to install :grin:

I have been desktop hopping and distro hopping. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Did you install deepin extra in your vm?

To recover form this traumatic experience you need the exact opposite of Deepin. dwm :smile: Light, fast and simple. The beautiful thing about it is that if you know C you don’t need anything else.

If I were young enough to remember key sequences, I might consider it! As it is, though… perhaps the DWM means it Deeply Wants Masochists. It certainly is understandable, and even ‘simple’, but I would spend more time bringing conky windows up to see how to do what I want than I would actually doing anything…

I don’t what will replace Deepin, but it was only there because a) EOS featured 8 DEs, and I was doing a mass multi-boot of them all and b) someone was having trouble with a conky on it, so I popped it on again to help. Not my thing otherwise - I seem to have become an XFCE user, now that Unity is problematic :grin: It seems to do most of things I relied on Unity for (like easy zoom and workspace switching) and I only miss the spinning cube and the animations. Yes, I can still have compiz, and I do on Arch and MX, but I don’t really use it that much.

Just one thing (and I’ll stop this off-topic :innocent: ) in case it makes a difference - you can change all the predefined keys and add your own in the config before compiling. And you can use the mouse.
I haven’t been using it for long yet, but it seems to be very sane and (truly) simple WM. I don’t appreciate much its a bit elitist attitude though. But hey, we have pretty much same thing with Arch, which doesn’t make it any worse as a distro.

I like Open Suse Tumbleweed rolling release Plasma much better.
Edit: @Tasia91 It’s a nice green color! :wink:

1 Like

I’m not a distro-hopper… No green for me :slightly_frowning_face:

That’s okay. I like to try other Linux distro’s to compare how they install and how easy they are to set up and how they come pre-configured. There are a lot of distro’s using Calamares installer but it’s more than that for me. I like to have a look at them and i then know if i like them very quickly or not.

2 Likes

As a disclaimer if I came off as a Deepin hater, I should mention that I ran it on a daily driver laptop as DE for more than a year. It looked fantastic more or less out of the box, was easy to get a good workflow on, and most important of all, it did not steal time tempting me to muck about tweaking it for hours, as KDE Plasma does from time to time.

For the time being I personally wouldn’t install it due to breakage and the possible privacy issue but that’s me.