Can't boot the live environment

Hello folks,

I’m trying to get into Linux (from Windows 10) and wanted to try out Endeavouros but can’t actually make it into the live enviroment.

I have set up a machine in Virutal Box following the installation guide on the official homepage but I’m stuck at this screen all the time: https://imgur.com/dznubMb

I already redownloaded the image thinking that it might me broken but it doesn’t help.

Can someone please assist me?

Have you tried to disable 3D acceleration?

I don’t use virtualbox but it’s the only issue that I see in the original post.

1 Like

Welcome to EndeavourOS @0x0001

The solution for the VirtualBox 6.1 to get 256Mo with VboxSVGA is here, we will update the Wiki in 2020 :

That indeed did it…damn I wasn’t thinking of that!

Thank you so much.

Now I have a problem with the desktop resolution… :smiley:

I updated the post to make it clearer, I will create a Post for it before an update on the Wiki…
What is your resolution problem ? Which graphic card do you use ?

Give me the first line result from this command in the Terminal :

xrandr

The resolution problem is “simply” that I can’t select 1920x1080 because it is not in the list of available resolutions.

I can selext 1920x1200 or x1440 though.

The result is: Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 960, maximum 8192 x 8192

My graphics card is a GTX 680

But it isn’t Endeavouros related, I have the same problem with Debian and MX Linux.

Welcome! I never use virtualbox for testing, but you can burn the iso on stick and testing on “real” live… because isn’t the same like in virtualbox.:wink:

I need the line with the star * this is your active resolution, first one.

If you don’t have the resolution you would like on the list, it’s certainly because you didn’t install the driver of your graphic card.

Which graphic card do you use ?

This is the whole output: https://imgur.com/6kgEVFe

Yes I could but I don’t won’t to because I’m looking at many different distros to find a one suting me the most.

So I have a lot of VMs at the moment with distros installed but want to go through them first.

I understand, but will not be the same… because in live session will be more fast than in Virtualbox…

1 Like

The setup available in this list is 1280x960 where you see the *

Read this first that you see the possiblities to setup your resolution :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

From there you could also setup resolution that are not detected :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr#Adding_undetected_resolutions

@0x0001If you are using virtual box and it is set on default VMSVGA you will not have any settings in virtual box to change to. It basically opens in a window and will only go to a certain window size and resolution. If you set the settings as @FLVAL has given in his tutorial and use VBoxSVGA with 3D you will be able to set full screen and proper resolution.

No I wont! I did follow the tutorial on the official site and it brought me to that error so I came here.

I was able to set the proper resolution with the help from @FLVAL, thanks a lot again.

I know that but it is still more unpractical than creating a live medium for each distro I’m looking into right now.

That there is of course downside to it when tested in a virtual environment is in my mind.

1 Like

Therefore also your statement regarding booting from a stick. You should look into virtualization. You can use it for something like this.

@0x0001, you don’t need 3D, you don’t need 256 MiB. For simple 2D output without hardware acceleration (2D acc doesn’t work in VBox for Linux VMs anyway) not even 128 MiB. The native GPU is also unimportant without passthrough. The GPU is virtualized no matter how fat the native GPU is.

These are the kind of basics one should have.

1920 x 1080 x 24 bit = 6075 KiB ≈ 6 MiB

Choose VBoxSVGA, not VMSVGA!

Here I have booted endeavouros 2019-12-22 live in a VBox 6.1.1-135531 VM. VBoxSVGA, 128 MiB (default) video mem. 1920x985 (view in a window) has been set automatically, I could also set FHD.

Apart from that, you should not worry too much about resolutions for such a live test in a VM. When endeavouros is installed in the VM, you install the guest additions (drivers for virtualized devices GPU, SPU, NIC etc.) and that’s it.