Call me crazy... but

Pretty much this.

I am not opposed to learning why a browser is more superior over another. But I am not going to lose sleep over if Microsoft or Google want to try and sell me something or sell my browsing habits to a company somewhere. My choice to ditch and dive at the drop of a hat is suitable for me.

I admire (as I said before) those who have roots in their beliefs on either side of this fence. And I did (although humorously so) expect flaming… so go for it. No harm done.

1 Like

The issue isnt it being FOSS or not, the issue is it being Chromium. People are free to use any software they wish, but right now when it comes to browsers using a chromium based browser is actively shooting the web/yourself in the foot.

Right now Chromium is nearly 90% of web based interactions, Safari/Webkit has now surpassed Firefox in user base as Firefox is slowly but surely digging its grave. The fact that people dont see the issue or have a real problem with it is incredibly strange.

3 Likes

I kind of agree about the freedom of choice, but the problem may go deeper. What happens when we start moving things too much into the proprietary realm, could that be bad for linux or open source adoption in the long run? I guess it is more philosophical, and also a fine line with pragmatism, as we need some drivers to run wifi, etc.

If I have a choice of open source alternative and it gets things done, I personally choose that one.

1 Like

I think also if mozilla wants to survive it needs user adoption. We may effectively shoot ourself in the foot by using chromium.

1 Like

I think the problem is they arent considering users like they should anymore among other issues but thats an entirely different topic

1 Like

And short of selling your personal data to advertisers. . .

What would you suggest? Users aren’t going to pay for it so they need to sell something to someone other than the user. . . That’s why and how Google is killing it.

4 Likes

@anon42914143
Don’t take any offence to anything. Just so you know I’m just toying with you having a little fun. Firefox is my browser but anyone can use what ever they want. I just like Firefox because it’s simple. I never have any issues with anything video or music or websites. I have used it for years and don’t plan on changing unless it don’t exist anymore.

1 Like

I use Google Chrome. Exclusively.

I use Google as my search engine. Exclusively.

I can tell you this - in real life, face-to-face, no one would ever try telling me what I should or should not use on my own computers.

Not more than once, anyway :smiling_imp:.

My grandfather uses Edge on Fedora since i switched him. It was the browser hes use to so i installed it to make his transition easier. Im not going to hate anyone for using closed software or a specific browser and I use and love plenty of close source software.

That said people should be aware of the consequences of those decisions and the sort of world theyre walking towards through indifference

youve never met me then

It’s annoying, but it isn’t strange. Everyone’s first experience on a computer and the internet was with either Microsoft, Apple or Google. Those services are really intertwined in society, you can’t blame the individual for using them.

I think a lot of people are aware of the downsides, but when your company, schools, sports teams, shops etc. uses teams, MS Office, FaceBook and Whatsapp to connect with you, it is hard to let go of those services.

I don’t how it is in your country, but I have to use quite some proprietary software/hardware to run daily life, even if I don’t want to use those services, I simply have to. That is the main issue that is going on.
We can see the advantages of it but as long as those services are used by the major providers in society (health care, banks, governments) You simply can’t blame the individual for not using the other choice.

4 Likes

I’m just happy we are all talking.
Finally.

1 Like

Thats really thinking highly of people, i can tell you from ALOT of experience talking to regular folks about these issues that they in fact dont know. While my sample size is small realistically, people mostly dont know or care as long as its “free”.

EDIT: I do understand that in corporate settings what can you do? but at home in your own life you always have a choice. Picking the easy road isnt always the best idea and to say you cant fault people i think is a bad train of thought. You can and you should raise awareness in a way so as to not alienate yourself or other but to shrug the issue off i think is disingenuous.

2 Likes

Just to prove you wrong, my FIRST experience on the inernet was with Netscape. HAH!!!

1 Like

I think you’re not giving them enough credit, it really has to do with convenience. when you use jitsi but your friends and family uses Whatsapp, you’re going to cave in eventually.

That is what is happening they’re not stupid, or ignorant, they simply don’t want to be left behind.

1 Like

And on which OS was it running on?, Mine ran on MacOS 9… :wink:

1 Like

Windows 3.1. I wouldn’t get tired of Windows until 95’s release. And I wasn’t able to get ONLINE with linux (winmodem) until NEARLY 2000.

1 Like

We can agree to disagree on this i suppose as this is something im very vocal on with people.

Keeping up with the Joneses is a terrible way to make decisions and imo this is excusing that sort of behavior. Freedom doesnt die with a bang, it dies with a whimper and applause from the masses as they handcuff themselves with a smile.

:point_up_2:t2:

I respect your strong beliefs, but if you want to convince them to see it otherwise, just show them casually that it works. When you do that, people are more inclined to take a closer look. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way. :wink:

1 Like