Call me crazy... but

Very true. There is a benefit lol

Thats not much of an argument/evidence statement. I genuinely want to know why people gush over Firefox.

Look at the little guy! Aint he cute! :fox_face:

3 Likes

Now you’ve got an argument.

I mean, that is true.

But also I really like the fact that you don’t have to install 3rd party plugins to (actually) clear history/cookies upon close. And it you can disable media autoplay, not just sound but video, this is HUGE for a few sites that love to put autoplay videos into EVERY F’ING ARTICLE (Anandtech/Toms Hardware).

1 Like

I use its sync feature, its working, never crashed on me, it looks decent and has all the features I need like add-ons. I guess I was in the firefox ecosystem for a long time and have everything synced. To lazy to move my things over to another browser. Else I would probably use chrome/chromium.

I have one windows install I use rarely and tried edge on there, it certainly looks nice!

1 Like

I get that. I dont see moving to a new browser as too intense. The one issue I have with Edge right now, is that I cannot sign in with my work Office365 email address to enable sync. I would need to setup a new account as a consumer just to have sync. That part blows. Buuuut… might try it.

Firefox is simple. Install it change some settings. Use it! No issues!

It is not my default browser, but I also have it installed and it does look and feel good.
I use it for a couple of websites I need to visit that don’t display or function properly in Fifefox.

2 Likes

it use to be the only competition for a chromium based browser world but these days seems to be dying a slow death.

The problem with Edge/Chrome/Etc. is by using it youre actively contributing to allowing Google to dictate how the web should work and not to mention Microsoft,Google,Etc. data collection practices. The mindset of “im not concerned with privacy because they can get it anyway” is terrible, thats like not being concerned with your rights because a dictator could come along and take them anyway or not charging your phone because eventually the battery will die anyway right?

Those are extreme examples to illustrate the train of thought that is, its a logical fallacy that can be applied to any scenario and simply doesnt hold water under scrutiny. Allowing chromium to become the de facto Web experience will actively hurt the Web and us as users in the long run. Thats why i use Firefox and Epiphany/webkit based browsers. You have more control, it doesnt contribute to a web monopoly, and in the long run i can at least somewhat continue to contribute to an open web.

6 Likes

OK, then I suggest you email Bill Gates or that Nadella guy your sudo password right now. That simplifies things considerably.

2 Likes

Amazed this hasn’t been done yet.

You’re crazy.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

I agree totally. These big players have too much of a monopoly and dictate where the standards go. They push their own agenda for pure profit at the expense of the user and their data.

4 Likes

Done

I think it’s sudo su! :laughing:

Actually, @fbodymechanic beat you to it :grin::

3 Likes

Darnit. I read the thread pretty closely too… :sweat:

Ho hum.

3 Likes

Probably rather naive and carefree, as it benefits the corporations.

But that’s not his fault.

Not naive. Just realistic. Carefree? Perhaps. Where I keep the real important data is encrypted and secure… but on this linux box? Pff never. I could lose this OS and not give a care. So yes carefree. I don’t sweat over it.

1 Like

I understand both views but the Linux community is boasting of the freedom of choice you have in the Linux world. So what is wrong when a user doesn’t use FOSS exclusively.

Before you get on your high horse, let me just give you this example.
when somebody decides to eat vegetarian for 70% of the week and eat fish and meat for the remaining 30% and say it is working for them, and a vegan gives this person a lecture about it, a lot of people wouldn’t accept it. I think they would call this particular vegan annoying.

So, if we have the choice and a certain mix works for an individual, why do I always see these kinds of reactions?
We don’t burn other users down for having an Nvidia card, so this is an aspect I really don’t understand.

You might burn me down for saying this, but the software is there and everybody has the choice to choose which ones they want to use.

8 Likes