Budgie main dev leaves Solus

2022 seems to be bang for EndeavourOS. We got to major players of a good DE here with us.

Welcome to :enos: and :enos: forums @serebit I welcomed @JoshStrobl yesterday, and it was yesterday I checked your @serebit GitHub. Love your profile picture by the way. Did you make it or did you get it made by someone else?

I personally have not much experience in Budgie but I did give Solus recently during a weekend because I was kind of bored. I have to say Budgie did impress me though (well more than what I expected). Iā€™m a Windows user (still due to my work but use enos on my personal computer). Budgie actually gave me Windows 10 vibs. Felt familiar with the interface and was kind of easier to move around.

Personally, Iā€™m much more of an XFCE fanboy. But compared to what Iā€™ve used I think Budgie would be grate DE for people comping from Windows (I know KDE is there). But for some reason, I was more than home with Budgi than when I use KDE (I hear KDE people angry rumbles. This my expereience)

I used to be a GNOME guy but they lost their way and I donā€™t like what theyā€™re doing nowadays. Anyway, the move to Enlightenment tools as your base is truly an enlightened move. Donā€™t know why that DE is not getting the spotlight itā€™s been around for a while. Anyway, Budgieā€™s move to Enlightenment would give exposure to that project as well.

If you guys need help with anything just let us know weā€™re glad to help out in any way we can. Also, most of us love to test and break things so we can help to make things better. So, welcome again to both of you, and would be waiting to see how I can help out another awesome project.

1 Like

My thoughts of why Enlightenment isnā€™t gaining in popularity (slightly off topicā€¦kindaā€¦maybe, yes) is that A) releases very slow B) limited ecosystem C) (probably extremely important) no one is making attractive themes for it any more.
I think the toolset is a great move for Budgie and I hope to see it take flight on itā€™s own wings and not the massive blob that is Gnome. It would be wonderful if there was synergy between E and Budgie too.

the community is positive until somebody mentions that he/she eats turkey. Thatā€™s when things get ugly >:(

4 Likes

Noted. Is a change of default icon theme in scope? Adwaita isnā€™t really our first choice of recommendation.

1 Like

@JoshStrobl @serebit
Welcome aboard, great to see you here! :rocket: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Not only is it not our first recommendation, but we actually have a theme exclusion list that includes it and many of the GTK-provided theming. Havenā€™t added Adwaita yet to the icon theme exclusion list but it was on the agenda to do that.

3 Likes

I eat turkey. Come at me! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

GOBBLE GOBBLE! Gobble gobble!!!
Ban ban ban >:(

4 Likes

You better listen to himā€¦He is certified turkey, even have special badge! :turkey:

2 Likes

May I suggest that you guys take over our Budgie edition or become the main contributors or the maintainers?

After coming off almost 7 years working on Solus, I mostly wanna chill and focus on Budgie itself, no offense :slight_smile:

Iā€™m happy to work with anyone that wants to work on improving the Budgie edition, provide insights and advise. But maintaining it personally, preferably not.

10 Likes

I know that feeling. :grin:

6 Likes

Unless we added one recently, we donā€™t actually have a ā€œbudgie editionā€ per se. We offer budgie along with a selection of matching packages in itā€™s default form. This is how most of the default DEs are setup.

3 Likes

Non taken. I was just suggesting it. I think we would be able to make our edition better with your guys here anyway.

1 Like

oh ā€¦ online. :man_facepalming: then we might have to pick on that then. Will see.

As we do not add any configuration to it isn`t GTK itself using Adwaita as a fallback?

1 Like

How they should stay ! if follow core idea of Endeavouros . ( that just my opinion ) :innocent:

5 Likes

exactly thatā€¦
only i3 and xfce4 have setups, but can be installed without that too.

5 Likes

If youā€™re considering the Papirus Icon Theme, that would get my vote! (not that votes are required, but still :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I think that considering that we have many community editions as well as xfce4 and i3 setups, it wouldnā€™t hurt to make a minimally themed setup for budgie - nothing much, but we should at least change the gtk and icon theme, because adwaita looks horrible (and is broken!) on budgie.

1 Like