Better NTFS Support

Original article: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NTFS3-For-Linux-5.15

3 Likes

NTFS

That’s about as useful to me as better support for Visual Basic for Applications in Linux.

Why are they bloating up the kernel with garbage like this is beyond me. Well, I know why… But it’s not making Linux any better.

1 Like

Cool.
Although i’ve solved this problem more elegantly - stopped using this crap of a file system :laughing:

Actually my hatred for Windows file systems was one of the biggest reasons i’ve migrated in the first place…

2 Likes

WSL.

No need for a Linux filesystem for running under Windows any more means Linux is even more of a Windows application.

Yes, of course. It’s all because of $$$ from Microsoft.

I’m really thinking about distrohopping to Gentoo and building the kernel for myself without all that bloat, but I’m not that desperate yet.

Frankly, I can’t wait for Linus to retire and the kernel to become unmaintainable. Then this Linux nightmare will finally be over an we can move on to some less crappy OS.

1 Like

GNU/Hurd FTW!

3 Likes

Hopefully we can live up to invention of time-machine, to travel 1000 years into the future… :rofl:

2 Likes

You think developing a time machine would be a faster way to get the Hurd, than to develop the Hurd?

Very interdasting!
frog_thinking_72

3 Likes

Affirmative :alien:

1 Like

This is the only Hurd you’re ever going to see. :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :water_buffalo: :rofl:

2 Likes

DO you think the Hurd has gotten as far as 1996 yet? It would be progress…

My new book.

Hurd: The Kernel that was not.

The GNU project has not released a version of [GNU/Hurd] that is suitable for production environments since the commencement of the GNU/Hurd project over 30 years ago.

The End!
:rofl:

2 Likes

One might say it’s THAT good…:rofl:

Updates are bloat.

1 Like

They’re keeping it to themselves. It’s not really free! :wink:

This actually makes my crusade of converting as many people as i can to linux even easier. I had a friend that one of the only reasons theyre on linux 90% of the time now is that i was able to create a shared drive of data/games between windows and their linux install. This new driver means the performance will now be much better and itll be a little less annoying to setup. This is great as a way to convert some people that will still be using windows sometimes so as to make the transition easier.

2 Likes

There really isn’t all that much difference between building a kernel on Arch and building a kernel on gentoo. The difference with gentoo is that you have to build everything else too. :exploding_head:

Building a kernel is one of those things that sounds way harder than it actually is. You can just start with the Arch config and remove the stuff you don’t want.

5 Likes

I think @Kresimir is talking about potentially removing a large chunk of “superfluous” source code before compiling, not just altering kernel settings in a PKGBUILD, which is a different kettle of fish.

Unless I am misunderstanding.

Which would probably be similarly difficult in Gentoo / Arch / any distro.

1 Like

The primary driver for what ends up in the compiled kernel is the kernel config file which has seemingly endless options for what is included in the kernel, built as a module or not included at all. Altering that is typically all that is needed.

If you actually want to strip the source out of the kernel before building that would definitely be a more complicated task.

1 Like

I was thinking about nice scripts that Gentoo provides to choose what to include in a kernel. Of course, one could try to get that working on Arch, too.

At the moment these things are a bit unfamiliar to me.

What nice scripts are you referring to? The gentoo documentation recommends you run make menuconfig which is part of the kernel itself.

The output of make menuconfig is a .config file which can use to build the kernel. You should be able to replace that file with the one that is included in the Arch package and then just use the Arch PKGBUILD.

You should try it. It is much easier than you might think it is.

1 Like