4 Likes

I use KDE on Arch. It’s like…EndeavourOS? :joy:

Well, around 99% of it.

6 Likes

I would react with :100: but that would be a tiny bit too much. :wink:

6 Likes

It doesn’t bother me. :wink:

2 Likes

It depends how you use your computer and how much you care to dive into changing settings to suit your needs. If you’re afraid of the terminal, I would strongly urge against this.

I would probably just put it on a liveUSB and try out the WM’s before paving the way if you want to try them out.

If you just want a usable, stable computer that just works and is simple - I always suggest Cinnamon.

3 Likes

I can already tell I’m going to love it here! Everyone has been so awesome so far!

8 Likes

I think the words gotten out …we’re AWESOME! 2021 We’re the one! EndeavourOS! We strive…we survive…we Endeavour on…we Roll! :grinning:

4 Likes

Using non-terminal stuff isn’t a problem (at least on bspwm). You can either use the program full screen, or use some of the floating window options to make it the size and position you want. Defaults can be set for programs you want to use that way frequently, but if you have some very specific 7 window set up you want to recreate, it’s going to be a bit of a pain. But honestly, if you want to have 7 windows open at the same time, then the tiling feature of things will handle that pretty well and use all of the screen real estate.

Overall, I think things depend some on where you are coming from and how much time/energy you want to put into a new set up. There are a lot of very good out of the box set ups you can leverage already (EOS themed xfce, for example) to get things set up and running very stable. Later maybe give a WM a spin in a VM and see what you think.

2 Likes

welcome @bryankentwrites, have a nice stay at EOS :grinning:

2 Likes

that’s exactly how i do it as well.

@bryankentwrites
If you like a full DE but a keyboard centric workflow is attracting you as well, then maybe GNOME is worth a try…come to the dark side! :smiling_imp:

Oh, and welcome aboard!

2 Likes

GNOME at least already runs very well with Wayland, especially with your RX 480 and the amdgpu drivers. It’s completely different from the look of it, but that’s what I like about GNOME these days.

btw: welcome to our institution!

1 Like

I do really enjoy XFCE and I don’t mind putting in the time. Honestly, that might be a good thing since it might help me from distro hopping. I’ve heard AwesomeWM and i3 are pretty beginner-friendly, thoughts?

I have used GNOME before and I think it’s a pretty slick DE, though I feel like I don’t have as much info or control with GNOME. I do like the extensions and whatnot. I also tried Budgie, which was a pretty fantastic DE…very smooth and a nice mix of GNOME and Cinnamon.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the voice!
Okay…now it’s time! Who do you pick to be your desktop? :rofl:

4 Likes

You have to go through … it can hardly be avoided :wink:

2 Likes

welcome @bryankentwrites

why not try all :wink: in vm and get feel for one .

Hope you enjoy time at Endeavour OS

3 Likes

Once the shortcuts and the config files are setup, it’s all the same really. I3 documentation is so good that I think makes it more beginner friendly.

If you’d like to try the endeavor spin, it’s already pre config for you.

2 Likes

Has anyone used Budgie or Deepin on EOS?

2 Likes

Budgie is fine, but please don’t use Deepin if you value your sanity and don’t want to live on their bug-tracker 24/7 - it is extremely buggy :woozy_face:

4 Likes