Are Internet and the linux community getting more rude or is it changing?

everyone have a right to have an opinion but we should all watch how we express ouselves so there’s no misunderstandings and conflicts start with no real reason for it. But then ofc there are dumbasses who just want to stir shit up. the best way to deal with them is to ignore them. dontt answer and don’t let em even know they’ve been heard. I respect all people as a starting point and unless they prove me otherwise - they’ve earned the respect

Everyone has the right to hold their own opinion, BUT, some opinions are just factually incorrect and should be refuted when possible. Each Youtube content creator “owns” their channel and is responsible for the content on that channel, including the comment sections. If I let some idiot make comments I know are just plain wrong, I will post a correction to the information. If someone continues to post garbage, I will delete the comments. This is not some public free speech space, it is my Youtube channel. Anyone is capable of creating their own and posting whatever they wish, so no one is “censored.”

3 Likes

Do you have any examples? I have been using Linux for long time, both on hardware and VM, and I have not encountered a package manager that behaves differently when it is run on hardware as opposed to inside a virtualbox. I am curious to know.

Btw, I wish I knew French because I would have loved to enjoy your videos. :-):smiley:

1 Like

This thread wasn’t about your video, but it opened a general discussion about the behaviour on internet.
I split the discussion, because the topic was well worth to discuss.

Actually I think they are. You can defend it how much you want - I just can’t agree with your view. Even morons have a right to voice their views. As long as you post stuff on an open public place you’re censoring everyone who’s comment you delete. You are deciding their voice is not worth listening to. If you posted on your own homepage with acess for only subscribers - I would be in an agreement with you - but that’s not the case here. You post videos on YT with free access for everyone to watch - I presume you want viewers - and then you sit and decide which comments should be removed. Not a team of moderators - but you. On this subject we just have to agree to disagree.

Just like @Bryanpwo just wrote - this was never about your video specific. I started watching and some things you said started an (IMO) interesting discussion.

Let’s keep it civil, please.

1 Like

I’m civil - it wasn’t meant towards anyone specific - but more a general term for those people who just can’t behave like “normal” people and/or just want to start conflicts. Some users on Reddit - 4chan -YT - and especially 8chan comes to mind. If you feel you can’t visit a site because comments make you uncomfortable - something is wrong. I will still defend their right to “speak” though.

I was just adressing the highlighted sentence. Not the discussion itself.

1 Like

There is no package manager that will act differently. It was humour. The only part that will behave diffently is graphical or sound one. If you want to test a distribution behaviour to see if you like it, VM are a great way to do so.

Well… Don’t be so sure about my videos :smiley:

2 Likes

This:

and this:

are two different things.
In #1 you’re censoring
In #2 you’re opening discussion by posting correction

I agree with @anon77235960 that it may lead to censorship and it is not good. I believe we’ve all more or less faced haters, but we all react different to them. I for example on my former YT channel wasn’t responding to aggressive nor stupid comments, most likely I was laughing of them with my wife. On the other hand I was answering those which made sense.

This is very slippery topic, because as you’ve said

is depending on POV. How do you know they are wrong? Who or what gave you the authority to decide? flatearth movement people they KNOW we are wrong, and we know they are wrong. That doesn’t mean that we all have to delete someones comments with other POV. Let them be, the less attention you pay to them the less headache for you, and less motivation for those guys to act.

1 Like

:+1: It’s like you’re in my head :wink:

1 Like

This is not the case with a Youtube channel. My analogy of Youtube to my own front yard is quite accurate. The yard is visible to the public and I can post whatever I want on my yard. I can also limit what others post to my yard. But no one but the owner of the yard has any expectation that they have a “right” to post on some else’s yard. The same holds true for any privately owned publication. The owners and publisher has a right to decide what gets published in their publication. As long as the publication is a private entity, they can refuse to publish any material they choose. They are not censoring in doing so because they are not prohibiting others from publishing their own publication.

1 Like

OK, in the case of being able to install and use Linux distros inside a VM, it is certainly possible and the demonstration is valid because the VM approximates hardware well enough to make the running of operating systems possible. I do it all the time, hundreds or thousands of people do it all the time, many companies run their entire operations inside VM’s all the time. To suggest that demonstrating software inside a VM is not valid is evidently wrong. It is not a matter of opinion that something that is possible and is accomplished all the time is not valid.

As to the next question “who gave me the authority?” I did. I have the authority to determine what is right and wrong. Logic, reason, analytical thinking, however you wish to call it. Hopefully we all have that ability. When I see and produced demonstrable evidence to refute some one’s opinion, I can justifiably claim that opinion to be wrong. People have the right to hold opinions, but truth does exist and some opinions can be proven wrong.

1 Like

Thanks. The sarcasm flew right over my head. :wink:

1 Like

Firts of all (and I should have mention it earlier) my opion wasn’t regarding to specifig video nor comment/topic/case.

And that is correct. And, by deleting posts you’re not proving truth, but leaving someone confused or keeping him/her stick to their wrong opinions. What we do here is trying to prove which pov is more or less correct by discussion. And as far as I can see, there has been no deletion of posts, despite the fact that I allowed flatearth believers to believe in their stuff even if we know they are wrong :wink:
Anyway, like I wrote before, imho there’s no need to spend too much cpu(brain)cycles for hate that make no sense. Life has way more to offer.

I’m curious how this forum is moderated… Would any of moderators delete my post when I will say that EOS is just stupid? Without explaining why? Or if I’d say that earth is flat? @Bryanpwo

Sorry for typos, I hate touch keyboards.

As in the case with my example in my own video, I did not immediately delete the offending post, I answered it. I stated that IF people continue to post content that I know to be incorrect, I will delete those posts. I have no desire to tolerate repeated abuse of some one’s misguided sense of entitlement to post opinions on another person’s channel. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, what if all dns providers will say that their DNS servers are their yard, so they can ban websites that are proven wrong, and with that authority arguments you mentioned earlier they would start to ban websites? They’d prove that EOS autoinstaller isn’t the arch way, so it has to be banned for spreading wrong sense that it is still arch. How would you name it?

I am no expert in contract law and I know nothing of the agreements involved in operating a DNS server. That being said, if DNS server providers are private entities, they have every right to control the traffic that passes through their servers. That is not censorship. The likelihood that ALL DNS server providers would be of one mind on any topic is pretty far-fetched. The option to open and run your own DNS server is certainly available, so censorship is still not invoked. If all DNS server providers were mandated by government regulation or laws to filter and block certain content, that would be censorship.

Like I said - we have to agree to disagree on this one :wink:
But ok - I’ll bite and play along.
I don’t see it as “your lawn” - where is the fence surrounding it? Like I mentioned earlier - if it was on your own home page with limited access only for subsciibers I would agree. Your lawn is your property - and if you don’t want anyone to walk over it you set up a fence. I’m not sure if you can set up YT with limited access only for subsrcibers - but I think it is possible one way or another. What you are doing is inviting the whole neighbourhood to a party on your lawn - and when you see the new guy - who supports another football team - and is impossible to reason with -you tell him he’s wrong and then kick him out the backdoor.

I do agree with you on the truth part - there is ofc one objectively truth - but that doesn’t change the fact that I strongly believe also those who are “wrong” have the right to be so. You invited them - now you pay the price :slight_smile:

Our end goal is obviously the same - a more “tolerable” internet - it’s just how we get there - we disagree on. I think one just should ignore certain people - don’t let them know they’ve been heard. Haters will be haters - we can just try to educate them and if that is impossilbe - just ignore them.

And this view is partially why I strongly feel differently about this subject. Please - don’t misunderstand this - but tyrants have thought so too - they wre right and anyone who said otherwise - just “disappeared” I’m not in any way or form comparing you to a tyrant just trying to explain why I believe differently.

Now - all that being said - I can also say I strongly believe you should continue to make videos. Don’t ever let the haters win by giving up. Too many have closed their YT channels because of abuse - which I think is sad. I can understand it - and I respect it - but it feels like a loss every time. Close comments for everyone - whatever - I don’t have the answers to the problem - but I think it’s sad when good youtubers give up. And it is fuel for the haters out there ofc.

1 Like

Really? This is almost too easy to refute. If I let someone post bigoted or sexist comments I am supposed to “just deal with it?” Are you serious? No, my Youtube channel is my channel. If some one wants to post rubbish, let them do it on their own channel. If I throw a party and invite people over, and someone shows up with a Swastika T-shirt I am asking them to leave, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I am using more extreme examples than just posting ignorant comments, but the principle is exactly the same.

1 Like

Holy crud! Not comparing me to a tyrant? I am talking of MY OWN channel, not the entire internet. Everyone is free to control their own space. If I had my own web page, most likely it would be hosted on some one else’s server, same difference. The beauty of having your own channel is posting only what you want.

1 Like