Are Internet and the linux community getting more rude or is it changing?

Let’s hope we will see a positive change. I think Android is a big part of why Linux is getting more popular among the younger generation. And ofc now they see you can actually game on Linux. But Android made Linux truly known.

Systemd haters for example is not the young ones - it’s the older users. “Why change something that works” is the mentality. Evolution is good if it is thought trough and doesn’t happen too fast. YOu also have wayland haters - why fix xorg as long as it works. The problem there though - yes it works and it will stick around for years but it’s far from perfect. After all it was xorg devs that started out with wayland development. Young and old - I think we all have to look around us and treat the one next to us like we ourselves would like to be treated. It boils down to show some basic respect towards other humans - strangers or not.

2 Likes

I also think the Linux world needs to re-examen their message on free, free as in open source is fantastic, free as in not having to pay for software needs rethinking.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have plans for charging money to make use of EndeavourOS.

But if VLC or Inkscape for instance would charge let’s say 10 dollar or euro a year to use their software and you would get professional support and it is still 100% open source, would you pay that?

2 Likes

Ah, systemd haters and init system wars… How many distributions were created for something nobody sees?

Wayland? Well… Its weakness is lack of compatible software, but within 5 to 10 years, xorg only applications will be unavailable.

1 Like

Indeed. But it is the problem of english language with two notions for the same word. Other languages like french, spanish, german (?) or dutch use two words one for free as freedom, the other free as nothing to pay for it.

:joy:

Free Software and open source projects are selling professional online and phone help, like RedHat for example. Correct me, but it is the case for The Document Foundation too?

I’m not using both VLC and Inkscape. But it could be an option for them to get some money to live a little better.

1 Like

A typical mentality from reddit

“Purchase none of termux apps bc it’s open source.”

And I like to discuss with ppl like that so my obvious answer;

“open source doesn’t mean you don’t give a shit about the people who developed your fav program. If it’s something you really like - reward them. Grow up”

edit:
You mentioned inkscape and VLC - but something that have blown my mind is Blender
Alita.Battle Angel a movie by James Cameron himself was partially made by Blender and theres a lot of vids made exclusively by Blender on youtube

2 Likes

There are a lot of great and well established open source projects who deserve more credit in the tech world.

As @anon77235960 said Blender is one of those great projects as well.

Did you know that the BBC series “Peaky Blinders” is post-produced on Linux?

2 Likes

news to me and I follow the show. Cool to know though :+1:

1 Like

That is very true - I don’t think your age have anything to do with it. If it does I’m too old also . We’re all responsible for what we express in writing or spoken form.

tbh I don’t think we disagree very much - it’s just disagreement on how to define moderation and censorship. We share the end goal - a better more respectful internet. You seem like a smart educated man so if we didn’t share the same goal it would make me dumb - which I like to think I’m not lol

1 Like

Specifically about that video i admit i skiped that part, not that i agreed or disagreed with him, but he was reading posts and not talking about the video subject itself so i just jumped to paccache content itself and i liked the video a lot.
So in short i didn’t know what he talked there untill you mentioned :slight_smile:

I try to respect everyone’ opinions, but sometimes we aren’t in a good day, is just nonsense or too toxic to “digest”. Anyway everyone is free to express personal opinion, we had some bad comments in our forum even, we try to give freedom to everyone.

hahah systemd/openrc, xorg/wayland, we’ll need to keep spliting this topic :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

totally agree with you. except the sandwich - i want pasta :laughing:

one of my favorite qoutes is;
" I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It"

everyone have a right to have an opinion but we should all watch how we express ouselves so there’s no misunderstandings and conflicts start with no real reason for it. But then ofc there are dumbasses who just want to stir shit up. the best way to deal with them is to ignore them. dontt answer and don’t let em even know they’ve been heard. I respect all people as a starting point and unless they prove me otherwise - they’ve earned the respect :wink:

1 Like

Agree, but also ~80% of the server share and ~99% of the IoT and appliances share?

Don’t pin me down on the actual numbers, but my point is that Linux is already extremely sucesful in the comercicial space, no matter if FOS or not.

But it’s only successful with the ‘techies’, the 2% tech savy endusers like us, or IOT or embedded devices vendors which hide the complexity behind a simple UI.

And that reflects my experience as well: everyone can use Linux, and if you only need the most simplistic apps like browser and e.g. email, most people will be able to even install the OS.
But the moment one needs a little left and right, a normal user will be lost. Either because the, e.g. Photo book software is not available on Linux or because you need to be an expert to get something equivalent installed.

And this is not at all a problem of Linux as such but rather down to the fact that companies who write software for people with no IT skills write for Windows and Mac, Linux developers write for people like themseleves: “Just go and compile, and if you don’t know how to do this your on the wrong platform…”

Once enduser software companies deem Linux to be a large enough market things could change quickly, like they did server side where it was all proprietary (Unix, Novell, Microsoft) before Linux took it by storm.

2 Likes

General desktop noob needs just a LTS release that can roll from lts to lts… like ubuntu doing, only pinpoint is it pushes now snap, that toxic :slight_smile: calc things to market share is also poisonness… for linux users i always advice, if you use steam… buy es much as possible linux based games not things as proton :slight_smile: if those sails is high enough a market would be better in my opinion. but thats personal… also lot users dualboot is also dificult to pinpoint where the shares are… if you talk about linux you can counts the phones also since it using the linux kernel. but LTS to LTS approach is ok, but more tech people that likes the edge is lts nothing offcourse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great comment :+1:

Tux have been a busy little soldier when it comes to the cloud - he has infiltrated and destroyed windows. Even something like Azure MS own -is noow run by Linux. First the phones and the cloud -then the desktop market. That is Tux’ plan - he told me :wink:

1 Like

In answer to the question i don’t think it’s the Internet or the Linux community getting more rude or that it’s changing. I think it’s people that are getting that way because of what is going on in the world around us. As human beings we need to take a step back sometimes and look at ourselves and our own behavior and how we conduct ourselves both in person and in anonymity such as on the internet. Just because we have opinions doesn’t mean we have the right to make them known to everyone and anyone. Sometimes it’s better to just have our own private thought about how we feel about things. It’s not always necessary to give a difference of opinion just because we have one. Especially in this day and age in the online world. It’s different if you can a have a discussion and be agreeable even though you may be on opposite points of view. We are all in the same Boat. It’s just a different Boat maybe on a different path to get to the same destination. I think the Linux community is great and i hope someday it’s the desktop of choice because it should be! I think we all know that and agree for the most part. I’m happy to be part of it and learn and share what i can. :smile:

4 Likes

Well… Nothing lasts forever.

Free Software needs to talk to the remain 98% to be get more credit and to free for good users from computing issues.

Making this simpler is complex. “That’s been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” (Steve Jobs)

Nothing to add here!

You nailed it again. It hurts!

This is why Microsoft is applying once again its “Extend, Embrace, Extinguish” strategy.

What about hardware not supported by LTS release? Like my Ryzen3 2200G when it was released back in 2017 if I’m right?

If you have no or little market share…

This is not being on the edge. It is just getting working software with your hardware…

1 Like

But general if you got on social media, you will find always people that can be rude. personal i gona laugh at it. on FB there is also a lot grammer nazi’s or if they dont share your opinion they burn you… i think since on twitter it goes much faster it happend also faster.

Most of men are keyboard warrior after all. on linux forum’s is that much less. Because it get moderated and kicked :wink:

But a lot people are also a lot sensitiver then let say 20 years back. But is mayby with the evolution of humanity… 1 part higher sensitivity second part Ruder…

There are a lot of people out there with “hardened” views on “everything” doesn’t matter the subject and they get angry when they reply because someone has a different view. They won’t change, they won’t accept any alternative opinion they just get worked up because they can’t convince you that what they believe is right.

“Without change there is no moving forward”
Otherwise we’d still be using Windows 3.1 lol :rofl:

1 Like

I already got a long text in my mind (really)… but then I thought…

7 Likes

Now this brought a smile and a big laugh. Awesome!

3 Likes

I did not realize this thread was about my video. Sorry for the delay in response. I can handle criticism just fine, if the criticism is intelligent. In the case of someone expressing the view that operating system overviews cannot be done on virtual machines, that statement is factually incorrect. It is not a matter of opinion. I prefer my comment sections are not loaded with baseless opinionated rubbish, so I will delete that type of content.

My channel is not a government entity, so the concept of censorship does not apply. My channel is private property, the same way my lawn is private property and I have every right to decide what signs are posted on my property. Every Youtube channel owner has the right to decide what type of discussion happens on their videos.

I am not preventing someone from opening up their own channel and posting whatever they wish on their own property. If I tried to restrict someone from posting content on their own channel, and I was acting as a representative of a government entity, then that would be censorship.

4 Likes