Arch Linux ARM (alarm) installs

Hi Pudge,
you fixed that one quick, but i have a next problem on raspi4

Setting Time Zone   OK
       Server: 80.151.151.109 (0.arch.pool.ntp.org)
Poll interval: 4min 16s (min: 32s; max 34min 8s)   
         Leap: normal                              
      Version: 4                                   
      Stratum: 1                                   
    Reference: DCFa                                
    Precision: 1us (-22)                           
Root distance: 1.037ms (max: 5s)                   
       Offset: -9.402ms                            
        Delay: 42.098ms                            
       Jitter: 3.396ms                             
 Packet count: 4                                   

Enabling NTP    OK

Setting locale  OK

Setting hostname  OK

Configuring /etc/hosts  OK
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
cp: cannot stat '(builtin)': No such file or directory
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

Running mkinitcpio  FAILED

and some suggestions :blush:
it would be handy to have a btrfs driver in the kernel, itā€™s not in the vanilla aarch64.

Thank you for this piece of nice work so far
Utz

1 Like

This is a known issue. According to this bug report and this later bug report this isnā€™t a problem They suggested that

And they closed the bug reports. Also, this is a Warning not an Error. This applies to x86_64 Arch and Arch ARM.

After running mkinitcpio I check the return error code and if the return error code is anything besides 0 then the script calls it a failure and bombs out.
I guess I will grudgingly have to make allowances for this. I hate to fudge things for this kind of stuff.

I will get back to you on the fix. Thanks again for the support and testing on the Raspberry Pi 4. It saves me from having to purchase one myself. Your help is appreciated.

Pudge

EDIT
I have a fix in place. Ready when and if you are.

Your script running nicely now.
But after rebooot I have run into the the next showstopper :wink:
You might not realize that on Odroid, but here after reboot, the login prompt leaving me alone without keyboard and mouse. Weird, havenā€™t seen this in years.

[     7.984] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Gaming Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[     7.984] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[     7.984] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

cheers
Utz

Iā€™m interested on adding pacman/aur to raspbian. Donā€™t have time for it though.
The implication is nice, could install raspbian easilly and then just add extra packages from AUR to my installs.

EDIT: More specifically adding makepkg to raspbianā€¦

Is this what you got a similar set up?

@ricklinux
Not quite sure what you are asking, but Utzinger has a ARM based Raspberry Pi 4 (aarch64) and I have an Odroid XU4 (armv7) and an Odroid N2 (aarch64).

In theory, the script should work on any Arch Linux base install that is flashed from the Arch Arm web site. However, only a handful of devices will do well on a full blown install with a DE.

Pudge

I am thinking of two possible problems here or a combination of both.
Are the mouse and keyboard connected to a USB hub?
I have my keyboard and mouse connected to a USB hub. That only takes one USB connector on the device instead of two, plus it is a convenient way to plug in a USB thumb drive. However, I have been experiencing intermittent problems with that. Sometimes after boot up the keyboard is dead. I unplug the keyboard from the USB hub and plug directly to the Odroid. Keyboard then works. I have a new and better (better = more $) USB hub on the way, and I hope to fix the problem. We will see.

The other thing is I noticed, the mouse was a gaming mouse. Usually that involves extra buttons and other stuff requiring extra drivers. Asking an ARM device to use a gaming mouse might be like asking me to explain Einsteinā€™s Theory of Relativity! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I am using an optical 3 button plain Jane mouse that cost me $8 at Wal-Mart. Works great. Can you try a different mouse?

Thanks for the feedback.
Pudge

1 Like

I was just wondering what you have for a setup? I know some about Arm and Raspberry Pi.

Within the last 3 weeks, I bought this set up
Odroid N2 package plus CoreELEC media center OS
I also bought a RTC battery for the hardware clock on the board, plus a micro SD card to install Arch linux ARM on. Didnā€™t want to overwrite the Kodi media center OS.

The unit is about the same size as a Roku box.

The accompanying Kodi setup looked good. Although I didnā€™t spend much time looking at it.

EndeavourOS/Arch runs well on this unit. About the same performance as a medium level laptop.

Pudge

Thatā€™s cool. What are you using it for?

Right now, I am using it for testing the ARM installer. Later, I might use it as a low power (power as in watts) daily driver for web serfing, office tasks, etc. I am considering making a VESA bracket and mounting it on the back of my TV monitor.

I also will put the Kodi uSD card back in and play around with Kodi some more.

It would not be good for something real CPU intensive like handbrake, but I have the Ryzen 7 2700 for things like that.

Pudge

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint, on manjaro it all worked ootb.
Well, i thought it might al least use a generic thing.
After trying other mice and keyboards with the same result, I must figure out what is causing this problem.
At the moment bi am short of time, :frowning:

1 Like

Actually, there is a new version coming which might fix the problem

2 Likes

The new version of the EndeavourOS ARM install script is here. It offers seven DEs to install.
The instructions how to get the files using git are in the middle of page 5.

All installed DEs are vanilla. I have tried to duplicate a EndeavourOS x86_64 install to the ARM version. Itā€™s not quite package for package, but it is close.

Any one interested in ARM devices might find this a good way to kill some lock down time.
Any feedback, bugs, comments, etc are appreciated.

@Utzinger
I want to thank you for your help testing on Raspberry Pi 4b. I hope this will be a better experience for you.

EDIT:
I had the Odroid XU4 hooked up to the Kill-A-Watt meter, and the XU4 was using six Watts at the outlet at idle, and flickering between six and seven Watts under load.

Pudge

4 Likes

No worries, i like to test a little,
now ready for the new setup.

EDIT
says on plain arch-rpi4 no network :frowning:
will try to fix tomorrow

1 Like

I was doing a little testing for the devs today on my Ryzen 5 3400G (65 watt TDP) machine, so I hooked it up to the Kill_A_Watt meter. In comparison, the Ryzen was using 30 Watts at idle, and bouncing around at 58 to 60 watts during a EndeavourOS installation. The installation is not even at full CPU usage. Who knows how high that would go using Prime95 stress test.

When the Ryzen machine was powered off, the standby Wattage was 2 Watts. When the ARM Odroid XU4 was powered down, 0 Watts.

Pudge

Answer(Note) to self; for testing different installs on a machine, it is useful to have the pihole running on a separate.
After setting up a pihole/nas on a Thinclient it works.

@Pudge ; your script works like charm :+1:
all went so smooth.
but i have a suggestion, the keyboard setting would be nice to have.

cheers
Utz

1 Like

Kudos must also go to the EndeavourOS devs. I just copied the immense amount of work they have done over the last year. :+1: :beer:

Pudge

This is exactly how we all can build more and more useful stuff! :smile:

1 Like

If I am not being too forward, may I ask a couple of questions for my curiosity.
I assume you have the Raspberry Pi 4 model B, but I was curious if it was 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB of RAM
Just curious, which DE did you use so I can check it off the Rpi 4 list as working.

One more request, and I will stop pestering you.
After you have used this for a while, would you consider rating EndeavourOS ARM on a Raspberry Pi 4 as a viable platform for use as a daily driver to replace a Desktop or Laptop.
I realize that it will not be for modern gaming, although I have read they are great for retro or legacy gaming. Anyway just a general opinion on itā€™s viability.

Tip: I believe ARM devices do not have the hardware/firmware to support sleep mode or hibernation. So you must go into power management and disable sleep and hibernation by setting everything to never, and if the DE supports it, disable them. Otherwise, after the time out period of non use, at least on the Odroids, the keyboard will stop working. You can move the mouse anywhere on the screen, but clicking on an icon does nothing. I have to Ctrl-Alt-F2 and log in as root and reboot or poweroff. After doing this, I have left the Odroid powered up and idle overnight and in the morning it is OK.

Thanks again for your help. You discovered two problems with Rpi and I appreciate it.

Pudge