Arch Linux ARM (alarm) installs

Pudge, feel free to ask anything.

System:    Host: raspi Kernel: 5.4.40-1-ARCH armv7l bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
           parameters: coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 
           snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones=1 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1824 
           bcm2708_fb.fbheight=984 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 smsc95xx.macaddr=DC:A6:32:44:92:AD 
           vc_mem.mem_base=0x3ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw 
           rootwait console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1 selinux=0 plymouth.enable=0 
           smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 kgdboc=ttyS0,115200 elevator=noop 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.20 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 
           dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Arch Linux ARM 
Machine:   Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 details: BCM2711 
           rev: c03111 serial: 100000004d61223b 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: ARMv7 v7l variant: cortex-a72 bits: 32 type: MCP 
           arch: v7l family: 7 model-id: N/A stepping: 3 microcode: N/A 
           features: Use -f option to see features bogomips: 432 
           Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 600/1500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 600 2: 600 3: 600 
           4: 600 
           Vulnerabilities: No CPU vulnerability/bugs data available. 
Graphics:  Device-1: bcm2708-fb driver: bcm2708_fb v: kernel bus ID: N/A chip ID: brcm:soc 
           Device-2: bcm2711-hdmi0 driver: N/A bus ID: N/A chip ID: brcm:soc 
           Device-3: bcm2711-hdmi1 driver: N/A bus ID: N/A chip ID: brcm:soc 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: fbturbo display ID: :0.0 screens: 1 
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1824x984 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 483x260mm (19.0x10.2") 
           s-diag: 549mm (21.6")

-> Monitor-1: default res: 1824x984 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.7 
           compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes <-

Network:   Message: No ARM data found for this feature. 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 74.32 GiB used: 25.75 GiB (34.7%) 
Info:      Processes: 189 Uptime: 30m Memory: 3.75 GiB used: 841.0 MiB (21.9%) Init: systemd 
           v: 245 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 clang: 10.0.0 Shell: zsh (sudo) v: 5.8 
           running in: qterminal inxi: 3.1.00 

need to check on the screen resolution :slight_smile:
and the GL driver, will compare this to my Manjaro sd where i use the panfrost driver.
The 2nd Monitor is not connected yet, and my beloved openbox will get plugged soon.

I use the original rpi4 arch but will try the aarch64 later as i get another sd-card.
In future time i could try that on my rockpi 4 as well.
Ach, one thing, screenfetch from EnOS is not implemented, just showing the Arch Logo.

Again, i love playing around on my little friends.

EDIT says, next year i must set up some machines for retro gaming (my GF 60th B-day)
so i will start playing around in a time.

1 Like

One thing i found out today, for RPI4 we need to install firmware to get audio , i suppose;
yay -S raspberrypi-firmware rpi-eeprom

and one thing is making me wonder where it’s coming from

┌─[utz@raspi] - [~] - [Sa Mai 23, 20:00]
└─[$] <> env |grep -i arch             
ARCHFLAGS=-arch armv8-a

┌─[utz@raspi] - [~] - [Sa Mai 23, 20:01]
└─[$] <> grep -i arm /etc/makepkg.conf
CARCH="armv7h"
CHOST="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf"
CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt"

guess i find more as the system becomes more useful.

I am assuming you are wondering about the Arch Linux Arm repositories.

However, in the left most column, the architectures offered are armv6h and armv7h. I will have to check into how to do a firmware update on Arch ARM.

Pudge

Firmware, i guess is just packed into /boot and loaded at startup.
Audio needed activation in /boot/config.txt

#enable sound
dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_drive=1

I just wonder why env says armv8 when actually it is armv7h . (Where does env get the armv8 from?)

Now i try to get bluetooth …

1 Like

Bluetooth not yet starting,
and btw. thanks for the hint with powermanagement.

1 Like

If you have xfce4 for your DE, there are two Bluetooth packages
blueberry
blueman

I have not researched either one or what the differences are between them. I think blueberry is installed as part of the installation. Blueman seems to be the odd man out, but maybe it’s what you need?

Hopefully that will get you going in the right direction.

Arch Wiki for Blueman

Pudge

Just got my Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB yesterday. Had to give it a try out.
LightDM screen

Image removed by Pudge

Desktop with EndeavourOS theming
DeskTop

Works a treat.
Pudge

4 Likes

Very nice. Is this running on your new script to install on Arm? Did you get a whole kit with case and everything?

Edit: What’s the little muscle arm in the Endeavour Icon?

The Raspberry Pi 4b is an ARM device, hence the ARM in the logo. Yeah, I’ll admit it is pretty cheesy, but I am not a graphic artist like @FLVAL It will have to do until something better comes along.

No, I just bought the Raspberry Pi, the “Official” Raspberry Pi power supply, and a new video cord that has micro HDMI connector on one end, and regular HDMI connector on the other end. I have one of these on order after watching this video on Rpi passive cooling

Of course.

Pudge

Nice I thought maybe the Arm was referring to Covid Strong! I didn’t think about the Arm connection. I followed ArmH for years and should have bought a lot of their stock. :wink:

Edit: I was looking at these:

1 Like

Thank you for the hint on enabling sound! Worked perfect. You saved me a ton of research time there. Now to see if I can incorporate that into the script. Don’t have that problem with the Odroids, so it will have to Rpi4 specific. Hmmm

Edit:
Here is the scoop on the audio. Let me guess, you had your HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI furthest away from the USB C power connector, right! That’s what I did! That is HDMI 1, the HDMI closest to the power connector is HDMI 0. Don’t ask me why, but only 1 HDMI connector can have the audio enabled at a time. By default, HDMI 0 has audio enabled. So if we had by chance plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI 0, there would have been audio right out of the box.
When you added
hdmi_drive=1
and rebooted, that switched the audio to HDMI 1. At this point there isn’t any Audio on HDMI 0. If the hdmi_drive= line is not present, it uses default which is 0. If the hdmi_drive= is present, you can manually set which HDMI port has audio enabled. If you change it, a reboot is necessary for it to take effect.

Pudge

Which arch did you install? Is Bluetooth working?
I just managed to run your install script on raspi-64bit inofficial;
Have you seen https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14096 ?

Pudge,

I followed the guidelines here to add the ARM logo :

Then it’s necessary to check if Eos belong to : * You are a charity or other not-for-profit organisation that is being supported by Arm to not need to seek permission to ARM ???

If not, there is an ask permission form here :

In waiting an answer from decision maker to use them, below the minimum size for respect the ARM guidelines :

• horizontal 400px to get an arm logo at least 60px
  • vertical 250px to get an arm logo at least 60px

loginscreen_Pudge_horiz_arm loginscreen_Pudge_verti_arm

logo-EOS-arm-hori-400px

logo-EOS-arm-verti-250px

Is there a way to put files to download on discourse ? to not change the names of files when downloaded…

1 Like

Wow, thanks for covering my back. I didn’t realize the legalities involved in using the word arm.
I hope I don’t have to cut my arms off to avoid prosecution!

Thank you for jumping through the hoops.

The best place to put any files would be on github
https://github.com/pudges-place/EndeavourOS-ARM

I am going to replace the lightdm background to one without any arm references. I was going to have a different background for each DE with arm references. I have decided to use the EndeavourOS DE backgrounds as obviously you have already got them approved.

EDIT:
Ok now you got me curious. Where did you get a clean copy of the blue-mystic.png? I got blue-mystic from one of the Distributions as part of their included backgrounds. So since they used it, I assume it is OK for us to use blue-mystic?
EDIT2:
Oh great. I searched for blue-mystic on duckduckgo and numerous urls came up citing blue mystic as a very popular strain of marijuana! :grimacing: Never did find anything on blue-mystic.png

EDIT3:
removed all modified EndeavourOS backgrounds and will use standard EndeavourOS backgrounds. Also removed the lightdm background and replaced it with a Photo I personally shot with no arm references. I think everything is OK now.

Pudge

1 Like

If you cut your arms off, you would never play on the guitar brothers in arms… :guitar:

I don’t know what is the blue-mystic.png you are speaking ? is it the background picture ? I took it from you here on the site and clean it and add the Eos arm logo that you see how it could be…

For Arm, it seems Arch announced them on their Arch arm website as partners…

Would be possible to add arm on the DE background approuved also when the permission is resolved.

Yes, blue-mystic is the lightdm background picture. I added the arm and the EndeavourOS logo as layers in GIMP. So, you were able to delete layers to get rid of the arm and the EndeavourOS logo? I like both of the examples you gave, but the horizontal just a little better.

That would be great if you have the time. Turn your skills loose, then we can run it by @Bryanpwo.

I could have 3 arms and I would still not be able to play the guitar. Many years ago I did give it a real good try, but I was terrible.

Pudge

So, you were able to delete layers to get rid of the arm and the EndeavourOS logo?

Yep but when I downloaded your picture from here, there is no layers !
I rebuilt the part of the picture to cover your layers, then on cloud part it works very well…

I could have 3 arms and I would still not be able to play the guitar. Many years ago I did give it a real good try, but I was terrible.

Maybe you could try to play guitar like Hendrix in playing with your tongue ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You can always call Endeavouros Portable :sweat_smile::rofl:

1 Like

Using the script described above, I installed EndeavourOS Gnome on an Odroid N2 ARM device, with a USB NVME external enclosure and made the external NVME the /home partition. It now has 433.9 GiB available for /home.
Screenshot from 2020-06-19 13-33-22
Pudge

EDIT: @joekamprad @fernandomaroto @manuel
In the upper Right of the right hand hardinfo window, it lists the Opeationg System as ArchLinux.
On the x86_64 version of Gnome, hardinfo lists the Operating System as EndeavourOS Linux.
Can you point me in the right direction to change this? Thanks.

3 Likes

Could be from one of files /etc/*-release.

2 Likes