Apple is moving from Intel to ARM

No problem. I understood that too. :slight_smile: By the way, what you wrote is already starting to be typical of Huawei. Samsung has long since entered this river.

1 Like

If Apple can also design and build an Intel-based processor, why does it need ARM? The switch from Powerpc to Intel was a different situation at the time. as now

It’s more power efficient, so longer battery life.

In my humble opinion, the development of ARM has been about that so far.

I wonder how this will affect AMD and Intel. Poor AMD, they just started pulling their sh*t together :slight_smile:

Please don’t bring politics to this discussion. Has nothing to do with “made in us” stuff.

I don’t really understand what you are trying to say. Apple can’t and doesn’t build Intel chips as it hasn’t got the license or anything else for it. They basically can’t build anything on x86

X86 isn’t just as scalable as ARM architecture is. It’s also way more power efficient.

I don’t see any politics. The fact is Apples decision is based on a number of things such being able to have more control and ARM based processor is being designed for their hardware to be more efficient and better performance.

I mean, in many places you can read that Apple is going to make its own processor for its Macs.

Only one reason, other reason is that Intel can’t provide what apple needs/wants. And AMD can’t either.

And that is the reason they do it with ARM instruction set. As there is not really other options than intel,amd and arm. And only the last on provides easy way to build own custom chips.

1 Like

Maybe I am old but did everyone forget that apple wasn’t originally intel based :grinning: they are not imho switching from intel to arm they are switching back

1 Like

I’ve never owned an Apple product. I have all my own built pc’s as i am a desktop user. I have a problem first off with the prices and where they are made. Secondly if i was going to buy an Apple it would be the Imac. They are supposedly bringing back the 24" which is most likely what i would buy.

1 Like

Don’t forget that this switch was already heavily speculated through this past decade by the Apple community. The iPad and the iPhone were Apples testing ground for the ARM chip and when Apple released the ultra-thin and small Macbook ( not the Air and also not the white original Macbooks) the entire Apple community and myself thought it would ship with ARM.

I personally am looking forward to this first Macbook ARM and I’ve never been so excited for an Apple product launch since the first iMac, the Cube and the iMac G4 (the one with the screen attached to a moveable arm) As @BONK already said, I’m probably getting old, but those PowerPC days were the most exciting period in Apple history, for me. So ARM, bring it on.

4 Likes

Arm has about 95 % of the smart phone market.

1 Like

Apple has never been particularly wedded to ANY particular processor. They started with the 6502 chip (like Commodore’s 6510, but fewer features), switched to Motorola with the 680x0 family, jumped to PowerPC because of it’s relative capability and similarity in programming, and then to Intel (despite the programming problems) because of the hardware ubiquity - and that they only needed better software to stand out from Microsoft…

Not exactly a track record to show fidelity to a standard (other than their own, of course!). If they think that ARM is a better way forward, it may well be. Certainly it has a chance to be an improvement - as any attempt by Intel to ‘power up’ their chips has led to high power usage and lots of heat!

Of more importance (I submit) is that Linux (and Arch!) will be able to go where it leads without major issues - and we can Endeavour to follow :grin:

3 Likes

Imogen_my_lips_are_sealed!!

2 Likes

Why does only ARM provide an easy way to make your own custom chips? Why couldn’t Intel or AMD provide that?

Is this very true even though the Powerpc was not developed by Motorola?