Apple is moving from Intel to ARM

But “the Coca Cola the best drink of the world”. At least that message was also placed on one of Pioneer’s spacecraft.

I use both platforms. I wondered for a long time whether to buy an Apple machine. Then I decided to buy it almost three years ago. Maybe it was easier to get used to a Mac because MacOs is a Unix-based system from which Linux is also derived. However, sometimes there is a lack of freedom. ARM for Microsoft is not very successful I wonder what Apple will bring out of this shift. I still remember the pre-Intel era when, as a person accustomed to a PC, I looked at Powerpc-equipped Macs with admiration. This will be the third shift in Apple’s history.

Some like to be ready, some like to configure a little.

Nor is the dream of administrators a Mac.

Because marketing is marketing. Apple has always been great in this regard.

I use both platforms. I wondered for a long time whether to buy an Apple machine. Then I decided to buy it almost three years ago. Maybe it was easier to get used to a Mac because MacOs is a Unix-based system from which Linux is also derived. However, sometimes there is a lack of freedom. ARM for Microsoft is not very successful I wonder what Apple will bring out of this shift. I still remember the pre-Intel era when, as a person accustomed to a PC, I looked at Powerpc-equipped Macs with admiration. This will be the third shift in Apple’s history.

And Amiga :wink: Too bad they failed since they were on pair with Apple at one point.

They were ahead of their time. I had an Amiga 550, and loved it:
https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1971

The Amiga missed me, as did the OS2 Warp, although I watched it with admiration at a time when Windows 95 32-bit was a big novelty for people accustomed to the PC. Although there was life outside of PCs, this was proven by the Amiga and the Mac.

Yes they were. Windows was like a toy compared to their Workbench. Someone figured out how to make good OS and yet they failed miserably. Just like Symbian OS. Things moving fast in IT. Microsoft made similar mistakes but they had enough money and market share to survive it.

By that, do you mean, including Powerpc, that Apple will be making its own processor for the first time in its history?

ARM has been looked down upon for a long time, though perhaps thanks to Intel.

Not the opposite? Half of the price of the product is advertising. I don’t like that either. Apple and Samsung are at the forefront of this.

1 Like

Not sure but I don’t.

I used to say that Microsoft is in the wrong role. You cannot decide if you are a hardware or software manufacturer. Apple is in an easier position in this regard because they are both in one hand.

That’s what I meant but I didn’t check deepl’s translation. Thanks :slight_smile:

PowerPC was done by IBM, Apple just bought the chips. Just like they do with Intel. as far as I know these A-chips that are at the moment on iPhone and iPad are the first ones that Apple has built themselves. And that will be the case with the ones that will be inside the new arm-Macs

Apple orderedhistory also from other manufactors but current strategie is just the protectiinism made in us.intel is currently also building factorys in us

This change will be a game changer in the entire computer landscape. ARM will be a mature option very soon after Apple has transitioned. The likes as Huawei, Asus and perhaps Lenovo will follow soon and come up with a Windows (and perhaps Linux) counterpart.

4 Likes

I better read up on the Arch ARM forum.

If only my wish would come true…
Imogen_my_lips_are_sealed!!

2 Likes