Anyone else uses LTS kernel instead?

Linux 4.19 seems to be at .140 (released just yesterday) at:
https://www.kernel.org/
So the AUR package needs to catch up.

4 Likes

I use a LTS kernel only for backup if there is a problem with current stable kernel. But i have not any problem with current kernel :wink:

I use LTS kernels unless there is a specific reason not to. Unless you have specific hardware that isn’t supported by the LTS kernel, it isn’t that common for there to be a tremendous advantage in running the latest kernel. Conversely, shortly after the release of a brand-new kernel, it is fairly common for there to be issues.

6 Likes

Now the code is split. The akm app can be used without welcome after updating all.
Actually the code and work was easier than I remembered. Hopefully every bit is now in order! :wink:

EDIT: sorry about this offtopic! Should be in another thread…

10 Likes

I was by accident for about a month. I got my laptop plugged in to the TV so I don’t see much of grub at start up. I installed lts and forgot to change boot order. :slight_smile:

Apart from that once during a log in problem on KDE.

I see, everyone but me is on zen :thinking:
Think I need to change that asap…need to read up on it now… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I believe that it is because it needs to be updated in AUR.

There is a newer version available yet the AUR package build is still in an older version. That is normal to happen when a new update to the kernel just happened. I think .140 was recently released so give it a day or so.

linux-lts419 is already updated in AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-lts419/

2 Likes

Yup, I’m using LTS kernels. I don’t feel the need to be on the mainline kernels in all honesty.

Plus, the laptop I have Endeavour installed on is my sister’s. So thought its better to be safe than sorry, so would rather stick with LTS in case any mainline updates break the system.

1 Like

Never used Zen before until now, giving it a try. I usually use LTS but just read a little bit about Zen and I figured, why not.

2 Likes

Dont worry about use or not LTS Kernel because install the last Kernel 5.8 in my Intel Atom N455 and be all good fast and all functional thanks to the staff

2 Likes

I couldn’t find much about the Zen kernel, looks like all I need to do is to install Zen kernel and headers and that’s it?

extra/linux-zen 5.8.1.zen1-1
extra/linux-zen-headers 5.8.1.zen1-1

And in case I want to roll back I would just install the regular kernel package + headers again?

core/linux 5.8.1.arch1-1
core/linux-headers 5.8.1.arch1-1

You don’t need to uninstall your current kernel. You could choose the one or the other from grub menu. And it’s good to have one kernel as backup in case something goes wrong.

3 Likes

Zen would be my third kernel, I always have LTS as a backup kernel on my machines. But you raise a good question, will Zen replace the current one or do I need to make space first by removing 5.8.1?

2 Likes

No @TomZ it will install alongside so you will have three to choose from. It is based on current but a completely different kernel.

3 Likes

Even better! Thanks for confirming @BONK …I will report back…

1 Like

Not to hijack this but Zen is not… noticeable faster normally. It is just better optimized than the standard kernels for workstation (in opposition to Server) use. Basically it has a more “windows like” approach to what, and how, it prioritizes if you do many things at once.
So if you just run a browser and say Liberoffice you might not actually notice a difference at all.

4 Likes

Then what should I run ? Just curious !

Whatever works best for your use case. It’s the beauty of Linux. It is yours to do with as you please.

1 Like

Installation worked like a breeze. The only thing I had to do was to create a new conf file in /boot/loader/entries/ and I was in business. I am running systemd-boot…

2 Likes