Anyone else uses LTS kernel instead?

I’ve been using Endeavour OS for about two weeks now and I’m absolutely in love, however one of the first things I did was to switch to LTS kernel instead, I’m just used to always using LTS kernels with pure Arch and Manjaro.

I used:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts
sudo pacman install linux-lts-headers

So my question is, anyone else using LTS kernels instead? Any improvements with stability?

3 Likes

There are people who are, but my systems don’t benefit.

I still keep a couple of alternatives installed, though (e.g. linux + linux-zen/linuz-ck).

1 Like

I have used it once for a couple of days until I found out what the real problem was (screen tear after an update). It is good to have a backup (plan b actually) if something goes wrong - but I’m still waiting for anything that isn’t in the fix queue by the time I hear of/experience the ‘problem’

2 Likes

@plgonzalezrx8
Don’t forget there is a kernel manager package on EndeavourOS.

akm

8 Likes

Oh that is good to know! I’m just used to “The old fashioned way”, but I will give akm a try now. Thanks a lot Rick.

1 Like

Yes it is very handy. It installs the kernels and required headers automatically.

3 Likes

Do you use the arch rolling kernel, or do you go with LTS? What is your preference?

I use the Rolling Kernel and actually this is the first time that i have seen any issues. The 5.8 Kernel was very large and the only issue i have is virtual-box not working installing Arch. It does seem to work installing other Linux distros but not Arch based currently for me anyway. I just switched for now to virt-manager Qemu.

1 Like

I also wanted to go to the LTS kernel first, since I had done it that way before. But the 5.8 works so well for me that I installed the LTS only as a fallback.

On one of my laptops because of a bizarre external monitor issue that required having the monitor plugged in even if not in use (having a lot of external monitor problems the last few months). Switching to the LTS kernel seems to have solved that.

I’ve always tended to be more of an LTS kernel user. I also use mainline on a couple of computers and I rarely see anything noticeably different in performance or stability.

I’ve started using the linux-ck kernel on my daily driver; I definitely see a performance increase with that kernel on that machine.

2 Likes

I have a laptop that works well with kernel version 4.19, but with any version 5 kernel it has terrible performance. For now, it’s fine to keep it on 4.19, but I’m a bit worried about the future.

2 Likes

On my main laptop I have 3 kernel installed with AKM : the last 5.8, the LTS and the Zen. I switch from one to the other from time to time, just to see if I see a difference but it is more or less the same on this hardware.
It depends a lot of the way you use your hardware, and of the hardware itself.
Today I have boot with the Zen… tomorrow ?

I always use LTS unless hardware is too new and requires latest or there is some feature i can’t live witthouth not available yet (rare) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve heard of the Zen kernel, but I don’t understand why people use it instead of the LTS OR mainline kernels?

This is a rather old thread but can give you some ideas:

Also:
https://liquorix.net/

1 Like

I use zen and have LTS as backup.

1 Like

I run Arch on a couple of my servers and I use the LTS kernels on them, on my other machines not really. Gimme all those new features :slight_smile:

I have seen in a post (don’t remember from who) that the Zen kernel is sometimes more “crispy”, so I installed it to try. I don’t see real difference (but it’s all subjective, I did not run any benchmark) but I like to have more than 1 kernel installed. So I keep it… and use it.

4 Likes

Normally I don’t see any noticeable difference when running a custom/AUR kernel. Only when having a closer look at it and paying close attention do I see differences. Also depends a lot on the hardware and the kernel configuration.

But it’s always a good idea to have more than just one kernel installed, be it Zen or LTS or whatever, gives you an alternative if something breaks on mainline kernel.

3 Likes