Anyone able to identify what has happened to my TV?

I was watching Dune, and noticed the picture was extremely dark. At first I thought it was a result of HDR, but eventually I could barely see the characters so I quit the film and the picture was still dark with a now notable green tint, and as I navigated through the menus there was a previously nonexistent fps lag. A few restarts later and now all I can see is this

enos

This TV is less than five years old, and at the time it cost me around €1000. I’m assuming the panel is done and I’ll have to replace the TV, but I know almost nothing about display hardware and was hoping perhaps someone here has a better understanding of what has happened to it.

To be honest I would have expected it to at least hold on for another five years. I have a similar Samsung TV in the other room which I’ve had for 8+ years and it’s running fine. Baffling, seeing as this one cost me twice as much. I don’t know if I’m unlucky or if television sets have become substantially worse…

Just to be sure, try a new cable, get from the other TV you mentioned that is working

1 Like

I could replace the power cable I suppose. It is not connected to a hdmi device, but it does have a stupid propriertary samsung-hub cable which is of course unique to the model and therefore I don’t have a second one. I’m not sure it would impact the picture, I think it just provides additional ports, but I’m not sure. Could be worth looking into.

It depends on the usage and many other factors also as you said luck as well. If it’s not your cable then to me it seems like your board is done. It used to be an IC’s but I think new smart TVs come with a processor. But either way, your color side seems to have gone bye-bye. If the TV is under warranty get it changed if not then repair or get a new one. From what I see it’s not the panel.

I thought that the problem could be with the HDMI cable, not the power adapter…
In case you want to test the power adapter, make sure it has the same power output and specifications ok?

It’s a bedroom TV, it is almost never used (~6-8 hours a month perhaps). Unfortunately warranty on tech in EU is 2 years, and this one is at least 4 years old. Curious if it’d be cheaper to replace or repair - I don’t think there’s a repair center around here, so odds are I’d have to package and ship it. Interesting to hear about the processor, it had not occurred to me.

Well, the first link that came up on a search https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/Re-KS8000-Vertical-Lines-in-all-inputs/td-p/1346810/page/4.

Seems like it’s a common problem…

1 Like

As an IT guy and person who handles repairs, my advice is to get a new one if possible. Repairing this new electronic equipment is kind of a waste of money and time. Plus you get a warranty with the new item repaired not sure.

Planned obsolescence?

3 Likes

Really common for modern electronics to utilise cheap capacitors, that die early, resulting in rapid turnover of product, making you the “perfect member of society”; consume consume consume.
If you have the ability you could dismantle the tv, find the main PCB, and check the capacitors. They look like tiny grain siloes. If the top of them is not perfectly flat, or there is fluid leaking around the base, then the capacitor is bad. Desoldering these is usually possible, replace with one of the same markings, from your local electronics part supplier. Oh, and be careful; you never want to short capacitors or anything else on the PCB.

3 Likes

I’ve never liked Samsung. I have an LG.

2 Likes

I agree with you…
The Samsung quality control is far from good…
Did you see what happened with the Samsung G series monitors? I mean, the flickering issue?

Edit: This is affecting all the Odyssey models, not only the Odyssey Neo

1 Like

I would buy an LG maybe an MSI or even Benq has some new ones here for computer Monitors. Tv it would be an LG for sure.

1 Like

Usually I check these review sites, rtings.com, hardware unboxed and techtesters

Me too

1 Like

I do agree with everyone when it comes to consumer electronics Samsung is :poop: in my country, no one likes Samsung as an electronic brand. It always had a bad reputation except for the phones. Old days we loved to buy a brand named Singer but now they have converted them selfs into a supermarket chain electronic brand died. Now it’s LG or a sub-brand from LG other than that we’re reluctant to buy Samsung.

I feel like a hypocrite right now because I’m using a Samsung monitor. But this model is very old 5+ years. It’s a bit bulky and not IPS LED LCD this seems to be a good old LCD with LED backlight. But their newer models seems suck peepee.

I hope you will take this into consideration for your future purchases.

Jeez… :exploding_head:

Yes. The unfortunate situation over here is that Samsung is far cheaper than its competitors (minus a few Chinese brands). An LG model of similar specifications is about 30% more expensive and that’s quite a bit when we’re talking about something over €1000.

I think I’ll spend the extra sum on an LG or Sony model next time. It is a bit insane to me now, that TVs fall under the ‘electronics’ 2 year warranty in the EU. On most things I feel like 2 years is acceptable, and it has on multiple occasions saved me a decent sum, but something which costs this much and should last 10+ years, should be covered for a minimum of five. What, other than risking a bit of a brand reputation, is stopping manufacturers from planned obsolescence? Seems like the perfect product to fuck you over with considering that most people own one. This must be what it feels like to be an American.

For reference, this port labeled one connect is what I’m talking about. The TV will not function if the box is not connected. I am assuming it is their own invention, because I have never seen it elsewhere before, and a replacement cable + box costs around €200.

edit: picture of the Samsung Connect hub/box.

1 Like

Here in Germany you can extend the warranty time span by paying some more money. If you don’t need it, it’s a waste of money, but if you need it, it’s well worth paying, especially if you pay four digit sums for a product.
One really could get the impression, that products nowadays are designed to quit working exactly the moment, guarantee expires.

This is often an option here as well, however, I have never had a problem with a TV before and did not expect it to die within three years. In hindsight I should’ve taken the option to extend it, and yes, sometimes I wonder if products are indeed made to stop working soon thereafter. In particular in cases like this, where if you’re to believe what’s said in the Samsung thread, cheap parts are used which are bound to burn up not too long after purchase.

I found the receipt. It’s three years old and cost me €1100. For that kind of sum, I’d have expected the TV to last at least 7 years to be honest.

1 Like