After latest update screen goes black when loging in

@marcelicious
Normally the first boot order has to be the drive that has EndeavourOS installed on. That may have changed when you flashed a new UEFI Bios. Check that the first boot order in UEFI is the drive EndeavourOS is installed to. I use rEFInd which has a separate entry in UEFI to boot from when it’s installed. Every time i flash a new UEFI Bios i have to reinstall rEFInd and reset it again to boot from that entry. So it is possible it cleared that info from the UEFI Firmware.

Edit: I guess you have a couple of choices you could try. Maybe arch-chroot from the live ISO and reinstall grub would be my thought on that. It hasn’t hurt anything reverting to your previous Bios entry and back but i wouldn’t continue that path back & forth. I have done this enough times that i know it can lose that entry in the UEFI. There is only so many entries it can hold. Everytime you boot on something new that wasn’t there previously it adds the entry in UEFI. So once it’s full it probably overwrites what ever entry? Usually when ever i do a Bios update i always on first boot load the defaults and then i go through all the settings to check and change those that need to be set. i.e secure boot, csm and other pertinent settings that need changing depending on your hardware.

Edit2: As @pebcak has said would be good to see the output of efibootmgr -v to see if the entry is there first.

Edit3: The other option you mentioned earlier was to reinstall with the latest ISO. I would keep the latest Bios if you are doing that as you don’t want to be flashing it again after.

This is after the update to the latest BIOS version:
https://clbin.com/CoI1w

I did the same yesterday after switching back to the older BIOS version and that one definitely had an entry for EnOS as well (sorry I didn’t create a link for that).

I am fine reinstalling from the new ISO if it means that I don’t have to deal with these black screen issues anymore afterwards. I think this is the 3rd time I’ve an issue that prevents me from getting into my desktop after I did an update (which also never seems to affect your nvidia setup, @ricklinux).
As long as my .ssh/ and .configs/ folders in my home directory keep their content if I create the same user again, I am fine with it.
I could probably reinstall all the tools/software I need and recreate my previous work setup over the weekend.
I’ll maybe just scp my home dir to my laptop for good measures and then try the fresh install.

Unless there are any better and more promising ideas still out there…

Edit: Btw, this eos-sendlog tool is a really nice idea/feature!

The entry isn’t there so obviously it didn’t keep it or erased it with the flashing procedure. I’m not 100% sure about the configs you have for ssh and all that as i don’t do any of that stuff much. I honestly don’t know why the issue with the black screen on Nvidia. Ive just not had many problems with it. I did have it set up with all the enhancements before. Recently i reinstalled on that system when i tested the new ISO before it was released and i haven’t touched it yet. It’s a dual boot Windows, EOS with Nvidia.

Edit: On my MSI board it doesn’t seem to make any difference whether i have CSM enabled or not. But i usually have it set as UEFI only. It’s there for legacy support i guess to be able to boot on MBR. Some motherboards are different and they have enabled, disabled , auto etc. Mine specifies CSM mode or UEFI only and maybe auto? I’d have to look again.

OK, thanks again for your input, @ricklinux.

I had CMS on and set to UEFI only before and tried turning it off as well. No changes in behavior with any of these settings.

I’ll just tar gzip my home dir and scp it to my laptop.
After that I’ll do the reinstall from the new ISO.
I’ll post back here if having /home on a different partition and recreating the same user keeps the settings and files intact.

I just realized that I can’t boot into the tty anymore with the new BIOS.
Is there a way to access gzip the partition/home dir from within the live ISO or do I need to flash the BIOS back again first?

In the live iso, just mount the partition from within Thunar and copy your whole home directory to another storage medium.

Sorry you are having these issues. Just take your time and review your steps as you go so you don’t miss anything. Not sure how you are setting it up. Obviously you must have done manual partitions before?

No need to be sorry. It’s not your fault, @ricklinux ! :slight_smile:
Yes, I did the manual partitions before (laptop and desktop).

Thanks for the Thunar tip, @pebcak.
I am doing it now via the command line and sudo, since I got permission problems via Thunar. But it gave me an easy way to mount the partition and get the filepaths.
The copy will probably take a while now, since it’s close to 60GB with many, many small files.
I’ll report back here once I am done with the whole exercise.

1 Like

Just reinstalled the new system and it’s doing exactly the same thing again.
Once I put in my password the screen goes black.
Maybe it’s some config in my home dir that’s causing this?! The data in my home dir is definitely all still there.

I guess I’ll try the install again now and this time also wipe my home dir to see if that makes any difference…

Edit: I’ll actually try the free entry (no nvidia) first with keeping the home and see if that changes anything. I’ll report back afterwards.

I’ve installed the nvidia drivers yesterday and was having the same issue. Can you log in to TTY (ctrl+alt+f6) and post inxi -Gx ? (just to verify if it’s the same issue)

Hi @Dev0ut,
I just re-installed the system with the non-nvidia entry (I guess that means the nouveau drivers).
It didn’t change anything and the screen goes still blank after the login.
Here’s the output of the command (but as mentioned it’s not with the nvidia drivers this time):
https://clbin.com/wWKJm

I was also wondering if I should try to install a different desktop and see if that changes anything before actually wiping my home dir.
Comments?

That shows nividia drivers installed?

What was your issue. Nvidia didn’t configure correctly?

It was loading modesetting (the fallback), I’ve solved by deleting all the xorg.conf files (I had one for intel iGPU) then I created a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf with the proper parameters and added nvidia to the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf modules, rebuild it, and finally nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to grub

My suggestion is installing with Nvidia and before booting into it to add all the enhancements from the wiki updating via tty following the wiki page. Then reboot into the installed system.

That’s weird, because I used the default menu entry this time.

With ‘before booting into it’ do you mean before logging into it or before restarting after install and do it via the tty from the live ISO?

No reboot but get into a TTY before trying to log in.

Edit: There is another option

Are you familiar with the user_pkgslist on the live ISO?
Edit: This is used to install any software you want when the system gets installed.

No, I am not familiar with it.
But I am happy to learn about it if it might help!