A Trojan in Firefox that I don't use?!

Remove your anti-virus for good and don’t install something like that again. They are all snake-oil! - I.e. multiplying any attack-surface on your machine.

Instead (if in fear of viruses, trojans, etc.) discipline your surfing behavior and avoid any “shady” websites. Learn, not to click on something that might just tempt your “inner scavenger”. :wink:

:v:

1 Like

limotux, long time no see (or read):slightly_smiling_face:

If something like this happens again: Do not panic! If there’s indeed maleware on your system it either already has done what it’s supposed to do - or it’s inactive for some reason.
So instead of immediately deleting things, you keep it, so you can find out more about it.
If, like in your case, you already have a CVE number (CVE stands for " Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures", see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures ) you just search for it on the net or go straight to https://www.cve.org and put it in there. What you will find is something like https://www.cve.org/CVERecord?id=CVE-2013-0030

And there you already find everything you need to know. It’s a old vulnerability (hence “Legacy”) that affects IE 6-10, so Windows only.
As for WINE: I don’t know what exactly they used but I’m very confident it’s not based on code from 2012 :wink:

If you wanna know even more you can then try to find the file on your system, upload to virustotal or something similar.

But never panic! Always keep in mind that it’s very unlikely to get malware on Linux overall. And if you use common sense and some precautions (for example: a DNS which blocks ads, trackers and sites known to have malware, is very useful!) and don’t open attachments on emails from african princes, you’re probably 99% safe.

3 Likes

I never thought I would ever need it. It just came out of the discussion at the other thread I mentioned in first post!
I will uninstall it now

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t seem to find that in the other thread. Maybe, only in your head?!

:exploding_head:

On Linux since 2000 till now I remember I once installed an AV just out of curiosity. I strongly believe it is no such thing is needed for any Linux. I just installed it as a result of the discussion at the other thread in my 1st post.
I just uninstalled clamav by the way

It is there at Non Existent App Showing in Tool Bar and Running! - #7 by limotux

Just remember, any AV (snake-oil) multiplies a potential attack-surface on your system for potential attackers coming from outside, i.e. the web. :wink:

1 Like

I strongly believe any antivirus or so is not needed for any Linux as by design it is safe! So, I just uninstalled it.

Thanks @NX-01
I just got busy over the past period, that’s all. But I was coming almost daily to read here in the forum and to be updated.

You too, you’ve been away, I see your last post was 6 months ago.

Welcome back.

honka_memes-128px-50

P.S. Any :clown_face: is fun!

2 Likes

Thx! But I wasn’t really away. I’m reading, it’s just that I don’t feel like posting most times.

Same here. Visiting this wonderful forum daily, at least once a day to be updated and learn more perhaps. I won’t post as well unless I really have a serious problem or I have something to contribute I hope would be of value.

Clamav is mostly focused on scanning mail contents, I don’t see how it increases potential attacks from outside.

It is only safe because of the small number of Linux users, for attackers it’s not worth the effort.

2 Likes

I guess that’s correct! Almost nobody puts a virus for Linux “in the wild”. Not worth the effort. And there’s also the fragmentation. A virus that works on a server running Red Hat or a PC running Debian won’t necessarly work on a laptop running Arch.
Ofc that doesn’t mean that Linux is more secure than other OSes overall.

honka_memes-128px-50

You do realize that absolute most of the internet servers runs Linux? :laughing:
Who could possibly want to hit those… :rofl:

2 Likes

You won’t hit those by putting a virus somewhere on the net. You need a virus tailored for the system and you need to make sure the virus gets on the server.

Sure, that’s why social engineering and zero-days are still a thing…

Plus, if you think that all Linux admins are opsec geniuses - i bet you they’re not, and there are still a lot of stuff you can attack through simple automated script-kiddie tools from Kali Linux :laughing:

Sure, of course! There are always ways, no system is safe and yes, there are ppl working in IT that don’t know their job. I even have to deal with ppl like this from time to time​:wink:

We were talking about an antivirus on a Linux Desktop, for example, the number of virus signatures for maldet is :

maldet(9745): {scan} signatures loaded: 17637

It’s far from what you have for Windows.

1 Like

But as far as I know, any virus or malware cannot really affect a Linux system unless it gets the Admin (root) password! It can only affect user data (though to get installed it still needs root password).

In my almost quarter of a century on Linux never really had a virus or any malware that does (or did) anything. Even this what I found recently which appears to be a false positive, did nothing.