A Trojan in Firefox that I don't use?!

Linux is perfectly safe until the user sits behind the keyboard.

1 Like

Thatā€™s me I can say! :rofl:

No way!
Iā€™ve got the official badge!

pebcak

2 Likes

Are you sure?

I remembered that there were few different vulnerabilities that could be exploited in the past. They are old.

For example:

Of course! I was pretty sure till I had a quick look at the link you posted. But how would "Successful exploitation of this vulnerability allows any unprivileged user to gain root privileges on the vulnerable host. " be done?! I do not know, beyond me! Sorry. I can only think of the user himself giving it the root password!

This is exactly the process of getting root access abusing some programs bugs / unknown zerodays, read it.

Thank you very much @keybreak
I should rethink everything.
But I can still say Linux is very safe. This is what I ā€œlikeā€ to ā€œbelieveā€!!!
Well, in almost quarter of a century with not a single incident is considered bullet proof for me!

1 Like

Of course - relatively to Windoze and MacOS - that is very true and it will always be that way, because of Free & Open-Source nature stuff will get fixed as fast as it possibly can when discovered, however itā€™s very important to know and remember that like any other system itā€™s not absolutely bulletproof (even without user input at all)ā€¦

So far every existing operating system can be vulnerable to viruses, unless you really go out of your way to be on insane level of OpSec like Edward Snowdens of the world or something like thatā€¦Or donā€™t connect to internet at all :upside_down_face:

These are rules of thumb of course. Once even just booted it is somehow vulnerable, insert a flash disk, more vulnerable, connect to a LAN, more, to the Internetā€¦ you are done. I always say, once you are connected to the internet you are visible to anything and vulnerable to anything no matter what!

But still, Linux for me is bullet proof as in quarter of a century I had only one false positive a few days ago! I wouldnā€™t have even noticed without the discussion on the other thread and without installing this antivirus and running it to get this false positive!

To me it is bullet proof!

Something like 499 out of 500. :open_mouth:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.