A little warning for new users who installed Deepin

I thought clear linux had announced they were moving away from desktop support to focus on servers and iot?

2 Likes

Were the problems fixed? Because it seems to be running fine in qemu on EOS, I mean I don’t know what to look for, but no freezes or any horrible things are happening so far.

2020-05-26-234135_1918x1058_scrot

1 Like

It won’t work on my Ryzen with Radeon. Freezes almost instantly after loading. It’s extremely disappointing!

I am able to install and run Deepin v20 beta no problems on v-box on my hardware. Just the Arch downloads no good and i have no idea what the problem is.

Screen Capture_20200526215446

Screen Capture_20200526221924

:confused: Ahh, that’s a shame. I ran it for about an hour yesterday and didn’t encounter any issues… That laptop has Ryzen 7 with Radeon too (although an older one), I may re-install it tonight passing host cpu and 2G of RAM, but it was running so smoothly I doubt there going to be problems with that either.
Are you sure it’s not vBox that is causing it? And how did you install it on Arch/EOS?

I don’t know what the issue is as it freezes the whole computer or sometimes it can be just inside vbox temporarily but mostly it freezes everything. My only option is to tty and reboot or hard shutdown. I thought it was maybe vbox but i have tried it on vmware and i can get it to freeze also but seems to take longer. I also tried it on qemu but i just can’t remember anymore as i have tried so many different things trying to figure it out. It freezes in the file browser sometimes and other times it just freezes everything which is most of the time.
I installed it on EOS via online install in v-box. Nothing different than anything else. :disappointed:

Yes, that’s how I installed it as well. I intentionally left the file browser open the whole time and it never froze… No idea why it’s like that for you, hope it will be fixed with time :worried:

It is super odd that only you seem to have these freezing issues and you have them on both bare metal and when running virtualized. I am not even sure how to troubleshoot that. Are you overclocking?

1 Like

No I’m not overclocking i just have a new system that is AMD X570 motherboard with Ryzen 3800X and Radeon RX590. I have no issues with anything other than the Arch Deepin version. At first I’m thinking it’s v-box then I’m thinking it’s the RX590 Radeon card but i have no issues on anything else. I don’t know how to diagnose it either. It freezes within a minute or less or more after booting to the desktop. Sometimes i can get a couple of minutes of time browsing files or opening programs trying to test it. Then it locks solid the whole computer. I just don’t have it in me to start ripping two computers apart and trying my Nvidia card from the other computer to determine if it’s the RX590. Personally i think it’s a software issue. Somethings not playing nice in the Linux sandbox! :rofl:

Okay so i finally have figured out the problem with Deepin Freezing! It literally freezes after it’s launched soon after it hits the desktop. I have been messing with this for a while.

So it is the Window Effects setting which is not on by default when installed. Normally it is the opposite case that you need to turn it off when you get freezing! This is really strange to me. :thinking:

So i just hit super+shift+tab when i booted to the desktop quickly which enables Windows Effects. No more freezing although in the file browser sometimes i notice the minimize icon doesn’t react when clicking on it. But i can click on the file browser icon in the dock and it works. Htop still doesn’t work but no freezing.

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20200527122418

Edit: Right after posting this it did freeze as i was trying to open albums. So it definitely has something to do with the graphics. (compositor?) :astonished: But it is at least 99% better!

Edit: For the most part now is working but I know i can probably have it freeze as it has happened once. But it’s been running for 20 minutes using it. So that’s a good sign. I also bumped up the video memory to 256 MB.

3 Likes

Oh ya! 28 minutes and counting!

DeepinScreenshot_dde-desktop_20200527130619

That is rather bizarre… :thinking:

1 Like

That is what i say. It doesn’t make any sense! But if i turn window effects on it’s good. I did make it freeze once. But i bumped up the video memory to max in v-box. It’s very strange to me. I don’t understand why?

So i think problem is solved as i installed all software and have it running for almost 40 minutes.

It sounds as a workaround at best… How long would it normally take before it freezes with Window Effect off?

It’s trying to launch gnome-terminal (I think somebody already said that). I am watching the logs with journalctl -f for weird behavior. It looks normal even with Window Effect off…

If it’s a fresh install on v-box maybe 30 seconds or less maybe more. But once it freezes if i reboot and start vbox again and open deepin it will freeze almost immediately every time. But if i hit super+shift+tab on a fresh install it turns on window effects and it’s good. I can’t turn window effects on once it’s freezing as it freezes instantly. So i have to get it on right away on a fresh install.This should work also on bare metal as i have the same issue there when i tried it. I just need to get Htop to launch now!

How do i make htop work?

By installing gnome-terminal or messing with its .desktop file I think…

The easiest way would be to just launch it in terminal though

I’m letting it run as i mess around with it. I made it to 45 minutes but restarted it so i’m going to keep it going this time.

[ricklinux@rick-virtualbox ~]$ uptime
 13:35:53 up 24 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.33, 0.58, 0.37
[ricklinux@rick-virtualbox ~]$ 

Screen Capture_20200527133744

1 Like

Yeah, it does that when Terminal=true is set in the .desktop. I keep meaning to report that but I always forget once I have time.

1 Like

Okay …so i have it freezing in the file browser window only trying to edit the htop file. But it’s not freeezing the whole computer yet and i can force quit the file browser. But i am not able to maneuver inside the folders. :rage:

Edit: So it freezes inside this window and i can’t click on anything or scroll or nothing! I’m wondering if it’s a QT5 issue?

Screen Capture_20200527134634