Zoom on Endeavour OS?

Ok, it did still not change the zoom screen share window transparency for full desktop share.

Do you think it’s possible that installing i3wm over the xfce install could have messed up with my compositor or something running in the background? I am just wondering at this point if I should reinstall EOS on this laptop using your new iso for i3wm, or switch to my xfce session for now and see how that goes.

I have a workshop next week Tue/Wed and would love to use i3 as it is very easy to switch and focus windows using my keyboard. Stupid me, I only discovered i3 last weekend…

Edit: can actually confirm that log into my xfce session, sharing screen via zoom works flawlessly. Probably better not to mess around under stress situation.

Did you disable window effects in effects on Cinnamon in the menu? That causes Transparency on the Welcome screen so could be that if you haven’t disabled it.

1 Like

thanks, I will try that on my cinnamon machine and report back, could help someone in the same situation.

xfce is good to go, one win! :grinning:

We use ‘straight’ zoom [ zoom 5.4.54779.1115-1 ] from the AUR.

Lawrence

Sounds like a real reason to use sway/Wayland instead of just i3. . .

You could always add i3 to xfce then. Best of all worlds?

I have both on the same computer but as different login sessions.

Is there another way?

On the laptop with cinnammon… it was disabled already. Tried playing with other settings without luck. Have to troubleshoot the hybrid grafics card issue and post another thread, last system update borked my system due to python upgrade and optimus. :frowning_face: will see if troubleshooting that will fix the flickering screen share on zoom too.

The easiest would be if someone else with cinnamon can test and confirm the zoom screen sharing works flawlessly. Perhaps which install method they used.

Looks like xfce and kde are good to go. Which means zoom should work on both qt and gtk based DE.

I used cinnamon on this laptop because the other DE did not enable me to deal with high dpi screen issues, moved over recently from kde, see my thread.

How do you deal with high dpi on Linux?

Ha, I tried fedora about a month ago, starting zoom refused because I was on wayland and had to switch to xorg. Guess they fixed that. Are you using i3 and wayland, is that possible? Hopefully thats not a dumb question, I am not versed at wm stuff…

Work them together. It’s possible :wink:

I’m on CInnamon w/zoom. Let me see if I can figure it out later today. I need to focus and finish paying bills first.

1 Like

there is sway a fork of i3 to work with wayland :wink:

2 Likes

The default in ~/config/i3/.config is:

#transparency 
exec --no-startup-id xcompmgr -c
#exec --no-startup-id picom -cC

Try commenting out the first entry and change the second like this:

#transparency 
#exec --no-startup-id xcompmgr -c
exec --no-startup-id picom -f

restart i3 mod+shift+r, may require log out and in again.

Then look into picom.conf in ~/config/picom.conf.

Transparency should be off by default (values set at 1=100%-no transparency.

1 Like

I fixed my cinnamon install on my lenovo P1 gen2 with hybrid graphics. Took my a while to read all the infos out there. Now my zoom screen share is back to normal, no more flickering on zoom! Win #2!

If anyone is having some trouble,

Followed this guide on our EOS wiki: https://endeavouros.com/docs/hardware-and-network/graphic-cards-gpu-driver-and-setup/nvidia/nvidia-installer/

Somehow bumblebee worked better and no need to get optimus-manager from AUR…

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer-dkms

reboot

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms -b

then fix screen tearing.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

Hopefully that will last, will have to test connecting/disconnecting external monitor. Also what I learned is that in hybrid mode the laptop basically uses the intel card with lower power consumption, while connecting an external screen directly connects to the nvidia GPU Quadro P2000. One can also decide to switch the bios to only discrete GPU but it would drain more heavily the battery.

3 Likes