Wine, Lutris and Protón prefix folders, and other questions

It’s great idea to read it all, Wine portion is as important to understand the idea.
In fact i recommend to do it all manually (i gave simple script examples to understand the process and not trust Lutris scripts or depend on it…Personally i use it simply as game launcher.

I’m using PlayOnLinux directory (now it’s pointless because Lutris doesn’t auto-link to it anymore so i need to rewrite that part when i’ll got more time, but still basic idea doesn’t change):

It’s just an example of structure:

.PlayOnLinux
├── wine
│   ├── linux-amd64
│   └── linux-x86
└── wineprefix

Example of created portable WINEPREFIX (think of it as if it was a PC or VM with separate Windows installed in it - all that you want to do there should stay inside, hence use C: and not Z: which is your Linux root, not great idea):

~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Crysis

Therefore in your example what i offer you should end up with is:

~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Dark_Souls/drive_c/Games/Dark Souls

What that allows you:
Have an ability to copy / move / change / backup such WINEPREFIX Windows installation(s) whenever you want in the future, and use it with any Wine version in the future, if you need so.

Hopefully that makes sense, it’s all there with simple scripts example so anyone would understand it.

I’ve written that guide couple of years afters switching to Linux, so don’t worry, you’ll learn if you want! :joy:

1 Like