Windows tearing/artifacts during minimizing/maximizing window (GNOME)

yes you have hybrid graphics lol, no worries

I think the issue is you need to use the --prime option for nvidia-inst

nvidia-inst --prime itll likely get you running properly

if you cant reach an alternative terminal you may need to… reinstall :expressionless: (you can chroot too but youre on a fresh system so it doesnt matter)

you can run the nvidia-inst with prime enabled to get your hybrid graphics going

with prime im hoping your tearing issues should resolved

@dreamer_nn found a similar issue with the same model laptop from 2021

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=270062

Sad to tell, but tearing still is here, will be checking the thread you sent me

That thread didnt really resolve

I wonder whats going on?

@dreamer_nn this github is specifically for your laptop https://github.com/antony-jr/lenovo-legion5-15arh05-scripts

seems you need to disable hybrid graphics, but in general graphics appear to be a problem point for this laptop on linux

try doing this

change the graphic option from Switchable graphics to Discrete in the UEFI / BIOS

How do i disable the hybrid graphics?

looks to be a bios option, check my previous post, where it might be in the bios im not sure but it should be there

@dreamer_nn idk if this model has similar bios but this might help

Sadly that’s probably not the case since

Well crap…Im at a loss

Idk why youre having such bad tearing and cant run wayland without freezing :pensive:

Thats really strange and you have it all setup as it should be from what i can find online for that model

Forcing Full Composition pipeline doesnt help either which is also odd

You said it works fine on XFCE but not GNOME in OP right? I might suggest using XFCE instead if GNOME doesnt work for some reason. Maybe something is broken in GNOME compositor in this case and XFCE behaves better, you may also try KDE Plasma instead

I will try to install kde just to get a better undestanding of the problem, but i dont think i will stay on it even if everything is fine, since im not a big fan of kde

Fair enough, but yeah i really dont know at this point Im sorry to say.

You have taken all the right steps for disabling hybrid graphics, trying force full comp, even attempted wayland with the proper steps. Considering you didnt have hybrid enabled you didnt need --prime so it wasnt an install issue either.

The only other conclusion i can have is that its a GNOME issue if the problem doesnt persist to other DEs. You may also give the lts kernel a try and see if that helps if you want to but thats just a shot in the dark at this point

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

So sad to tell that, but seems like that’s a gnome issue, endeavour plasma works perfectly, everything is smooth and nice, where it is better to write about my issue?

I’m guessing it has to do with mutter so likely the best place to report an issue would be

Thanks for your help, at least we figured out where the issue is, I’m already sleepy, so will report that tomorrow. If I will be able to solve the issue in the end I’ll comment the solution here

1 Like

Hi, I was finally able to install wayland and the problem was solved, BUT, do you know why I can’t edit my nvidia settings now? :smiley:

Wayland doesnt have an Xorg conf for Nvidia Settings to edit, you will only have the thermal/overclock, and applications settings

What are you looking to change?

Digital vibrance, can’t live with the default colors

You might be SOL, you can try running it with sudo from terminal to see if that changes anything but i dont think so.

Wayland doesnt yet have color protocols for that sort of thing, its a WIP

I see, thanks for explaining that.
By the way, the fact I use wayland and I don’t have the issue still means it’s mutter’s fault I had it?
Because I’ve created an issue on their gitlab and doesn’t seem they are planning to do something: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2596