Why use EndeavourOS now that Arch has an installer?

No i mean i use the shortest method to install Arch the “other” way!

Edit: I still prefer to Endeavour!

4 Likes

Long time ago, Arch had an installer, which they scrapped. Later, Carl Duff recreated it and made Architect Linux. He also had a distro called Pacbang Linux. You can find that installer script, somewhat modified in Archcraft called abif. It installs really well. You can see it here. He had done an excellent how-to. I have tested it on bare metal. The installer reminded me of the olden days.

Anyway, I prefer Endeavour OS, for one good reason – the community!
I don’t have to re-install.

The last Carl Duff distros.

EDIT: It would be interesting, if Endeavour can implement Carl Duff’s script as an additional installer, for those users to feel the step by step installation, the old fashioned way.

4 Likes

This is basically what Manjaro Architect installer is. Not sure if it is still being maintained, but if anything should be forked for Arch / EndeavourOS it should probably be that.

It is originally Carl Duff’s, Manjaro forked it. Carl Duff went away, but the script works, I saw that in Archcraft and it works. If you run Archcraft live, you can find it. Forking it must be a simple thing for Endeavour devs.

Oh, I see a thread here.

1 Like

Personally I think Archfi/Archdi is a better script option. The last time i used the Carl Duff installer it had issues dealing with NVME drives since they don’t follow the /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdx naming standard. Was that addressed at some point?

5 Likes

I only know that Archcraft got installed in my nvme drive. I did that few weeks ago. Wanted to find out, if the old installer works. And it did, nicely. I don’t have Archcraft anymore. The script is there.

This is the beginning of that script,

# Arch Base Installation Framework (version 2.2.3 - 26-Mar-2016)
#
# Written by Carl Duff for PacBang Linux
#
# This program is free software, provided under the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation. So feel free to copy, distribute,
# or modify it as you wish.
#

## Changes by me
# 1. run_mkinitcpio funct
# 2. vmlinuz-linux
# 3. grub theme

You can download the abif script here. I uploaded it. It’ll be there for a week.

1 Like

Agree.

Haven’t used it in a while so thought I’d see what has changed, but cannot get it to work in Vbox.

Launching the script from the Arch ISO

curl -L archfi.sf.net/archfi > archfi
sh archfi

it always assumes a Saudi locale

archfi

I have no idea what is going on.

3 Likes

Thats weird try pulling it from mat moul’s github.

curl -L matmoul.github.io/archfi > archfi
3 Likes

Good idea, that works.

archfi2

I’ll change my notes to avoid the sf.net domain.

EDIT :

Still screwed. A Vbox issue. Hitting return on Language just plows through the script, like Return is repeating. This chooses first language, Arabic, and eventually causes the VBox guest to hang completely.

Just hanged again without running the script, it was just the download command that triggered the hang.

archfi-hang

Weird.

Just running basic pacman commands on the Arch ISO Vbox guest hangs it, must have something to do with guest additions not being on the Arch ISO.

archfi works fine from EndOS ISO, problem is with the Arch ISO and my guest VM setup.

3 Likes

I choose to use EndeavourOS to install. Tried these scripts and that’s what i get too.

2 Likes

Here is the original Carl Duff installer script. It’ll be there for one week.

1 Like

I downloaded the script just to look at it but, i won’t be using it. I use EndeavourOS because i don’t want to use a script! EndeavourOS is the best setup. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

I agree with @ricklinux EndeavourOS installer is the easiest. few clicks and you’re at your chosen DE desktop. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Sure is! “Friends don’t let friends get scripted!” :rofl:

3 Likes

It was just info, about the olden days. I have Endeavour Plasma, and would not be reinstalling or changing it. But, I like to have a look, so have a free partition (nvme) for that. I have a feeling that Pacbang of 2016 can be installed with today’s Arch updates.

This is the correct answer for all of us that want Arch. Maybe we’re lazy but I don’t care what anyone thinks.

2 Likes

The answer for me is Endeavour forever! :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ll continue to use endeavor for testing/playing with other DEs. Unless the Arch install gets as easy as EOS ( I actually hope it’s never this easy). I like to see what’s happening in the world of gnome/xfce/other DEs since I use plasma normally.

It’s a great fast easy way to learn/break things and not touch my daily computer. It’s my test system so to speak. I also just quite like (most of) the community here, and the overall helpfulness here even if I do think sometimes we have a little too much hand holding (for beginners) for my personal taste. We are supposed to be an intermediate distro. But for the foreseeable future, for my needs from this distro, the current Arch installer isn’t sending me packing.

2 Likes

I found the new Arch installer very primitive. For everything but my laptop, I have used EndeavourOS. On my laptop, I had to use archfi + archdi. My laptop, an Asus FX-504GD, has an ACPI table that is not even close to standard. This causes Calamares to crash every time. It does not matter what distro it is. When I was on Manjaro, I had to use their set of scripts called Manjaro Architect. That all being said, EnOS offers a gateway to Arch that will always be needed.

2 Likes

It is interesting that Carl Duff’s Architect script is still working with adaptations to present environment. Too bad the guy always went away in a huff.

2 Likes