Why is this distro called Endeavour?

This is a great article,
I had to say very inspirational one.

@Bryanpwo you should put it on website somewhere like,
You could name it our journey

1 Like

When I first saw the name of the distro I immediately thought of HMS Endeavour the ship James Cook sailed to Australia. The logo reminds me of sails.

4 Likes

I originally thought of NASA and…

3 Likes

Neat story! Really glad I read this post. But when do we get turkey wallpapers in the community endeavouros wallpapers?

2 Likes

Probably right after good ones are submitted for the purpose. I feel sure they will be gobbled up when available!

3 Likes

Well. In case you are looking for one, this is my favorite! https://forum.endeavouros.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/d/6/d6d034f98c50a849182b6d809bb62e9d89475ff0_2_666x500.jpeg

1 Like

Wattle you do if it catches on, though? Also - more variety is needed to make the EnOS community wallpaper stash, I suspect.

Yes, I am passing up any number of avian word misuse here - and I intend to continue that…

1 Like

and what about the logo style?

The original EndeavourOS logo was a variant of the Arch Linux logo shaped like a sail. In my opinion, that was a very beautiful and elegant logo.

sail

It was quickly replaced with the current abstract sail design, supposedly due to concerns about trademark infringement.

15 Likes

That is 100% correct, but it was a very beautiful logo.

8 Likes

Having seen the preponderance of ‘similar to Arch’ logos in various spins, I wonder if it would have been a problem. Was there correspondence on the subject with Arch? I miss the look, even if it never happened :grin:

3 Likes

No, there wasn’t any reaction from Arch, because we used the logo for two weeks, or something?!? It never was displayed on the first launch of the websites.

We were advised that it was better to create our own look, that’s why we ultimately went for @nate’s logo.

5 Likes

I like the look as it gives me nostalgia of growing up in the 80s pop culture.

• Neon colour - Purple, Green, Yellow in wallpapers collection
  • SciFi/Cyberpunk colours theme in windows and terminal
  • Just feel like setting up login synthwave sounds
  • The future/space idea of discovery

It is not just a distro. It is an adventure. Reminds me of last 10-15 secs of this movie clip :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, how long has it been since EndeavourOS was launched, two years ago. Back then, many of us thought Antergos would have no sequel. The Manjaro is also a great distribution, but there were a lot of bugs in it, but the Antergos was much more flexible and configurable. At first I thought only a forum community would be created, but a new distribution would not. Then the “big journey” was born

3 Likes

Indeed. Here are a few logos of Arch-based distributions:

arch-based

All of these distributions (and many more, of course) are listed on the Arch Wiki, strongly suggesting that there is no ill will from the Arch devs towards any of them.

Therefore, I am of the opinion that the concern about trademark infringement was wholly unwarranted. However, the old adage “better safe than sorry” certainly holds – if the relationship with the upstream became sour for whatever reason, there would always exist a risk of having to rebrand.

As a matter of personal opinion, I think that the original EndeavourOS sail is more beautiful than any logo shown in the image above.

10 Likes

Arcolinux did have another name and logo initially and they had to change both logo and name. This happened just months before we started.

So, yes we were very careful back then.

3 Likes

Ah Yes Arco. Another close to vanilla favourite. Crazy how Erik there literally seems to upload multiple videos per day! Sometimes 1 and sometimes 4-5 a day.

2 Likes

Btw. I also think there is a difference between Arch distro devs that are known by Arch, because they were active communitymembers and the ones they don’t know.

But this is just my feeling on it.

1 Like

Don’t forget that he is also a teacher, so he is comfortable in that role. Perhaps he uses these vids also as a recommendation for his students?

1 Like

adventure

2 Likes