Which privacy browser?

But that’s so awful. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is still the SeaMonkey project, for a good old Netscape experience.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

It does do a bit for obscurity at least.

1 Like

What they are saying is they want transparency in social media platforms. It’s not censorship. But, anyone can do what they want there are lots of browsers out there. I’m sticking with Firefox because it is a better browser than most. They believe in and support open source software and privacy more so than most. It’s my browser of choice.

3 Likes

Degoogle your phone and use FF

1 Like

I deeply disagree, since it’s hard to see any other browser explicitly crying in the woods directly against free internet.

That’s little insane for business, i even think it’s likely Google’s part of their stakeholders speaking (most of it anyways) in order to kill Firefox as Google’s competitor and make it more marginal.

Don’t get me wrong, i loved Firefox too, but for me it’s just too much, regardless of what action they’ll take or if there will be code inject with censorship on by default (which they suggest in general there in blog post, so it’s not hard to assume they’d do same in some time for browser, we’ll see)

Yep :+1:

But i suggest you should try LibreWolf sometime anyway, coz now it’s just debloated Firefox with cut off telemetry, better privacy settings by default and pre-installed u-block origin so it’s better than stock Firefox anyway, looking fun :wink:

1 Like

If Firefox is so bad why would anyone want to fork it? I can think of many worse companies out there than Mozillla. M?

1 Like

Sure, as long as it’s open-source - it’s fine, i just point out that for privacy / freedom it’s better to support forks, which is up to anyone.

In my mind now all of browser companies is really bad, so it’s up to preferneces

1 Like

Well i agree they could be a lot better! The Internet for me should be private and no tracking, no ads, nothing! I don’t want to be an AI specimen! :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t think anybody said that.

They will probably introduce even more obnoxious defaults, like Google being the default search engine, but I doubt it will be anything that the end user won’t be able to change.

But even if they do, it’s a free and open source browser. Making a fork that removes those unwanted “features” like censorship is a matter of minutes. If anything, having more browsers based on Firefox is an excellent thing. Personally, I’m sick of all the Chromium-based browsers and as long as the alternative exists, I do not plan to use one.

1 Like

Let’s not mix the two topics here.
The OP is about browser security. Censorship is another topic.
Is Firefox endangering privacy now? If so how/why? I’m not very up to date with the news I must confess.

Remember that i initially just posted new browser i’ve found:

Rest is live discussion.

But privacy - depends on who you ask (compared to TOR, LibreWolf, GNU IceCat :laughing: ), default settings are not best possible at all, but it’s solvable with config or a good fork.

This is a good way to check most of privacy stuff:

Might be too hardcore for some, but it’s up for each one of us to choose :slight_smile:
Default Firefox is like swiss cheese :rofl:

1 Like

Hmm - as I suspected - Brave is not bad. I like Firefox, but there is so much to setup to get as basic level of ‘hard-to-track’, so I end up with Brave for casual browsing… Here’s (part of) the report from the above site:

scn-browse

No one can know enough (and it constantly changes) so some of us are lazy enough to ‘let it go’… :grin:

1 Like

I just adopt a wait-and-see posture regarding this by-some-users-deplored-supposed “censorship” supposedly-will-be-introduced by Mozilla through injecting code that by some users is supposed to be “closed source”.

Things get blown out of proportions very easily these days. I try not to get blown away by each and every outcry supposing this and that before actually having the hard facts of the matter.

So for the time being, I will

keep-calm-and-browse-on

:love_you_gesture:t6:

4 Likes

This has been interesting, I totally missed the news of Mozilla spitting out their dummy with regard to free speech. I’m up and running on LibreWolf (after a 5hr 30min build time on my wee x230), I’ll use it until the next update and if it’s another extended build time I may move on to something else Mozilla based but community maintained…

There’s a binary package if compile time is an issue.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/librewolf-bin/

3 Likes

Sorry for not mentioning it, i’ve thought it’s common knowledge that compiling stuff like Firefox source or Wine is NOT fun :sweat_smile:

Oh yeah, well aware. I used to build ungoogled-chromium from source on my last install. That was 18hrs everytime… :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t believe that is the case.I have read their statements and that is not what i am seeing at all. I use Firefox and i will continue to do so even with all it’s flaws which all browsers have because i do believe they are truly interested in promoting privacy to the best of their ability and are a huge supporter of open source software. Browse on Foxes! :fox_face:

3 Likes

Here is a good list of links for testing Privacy / Security / Fingerprint of your browser

2 Likes