Which privacy browser?

I prefer Firefox for browsing (using the strict setting) with :duck::duck::walking_man: privacy add-on. I use Chromium for development tasks.

Even if you are sneaking through the forest or the neighborhood - you leave traces (browserleaks.com) - so in the end it is a matter of habits.

I have 5 basic rules of engagement when dealing with the internet.

1. Different browsers for different tasks
    • Firefox
    • Chromium
    • Vivaldi
  2. Use alternative search engines
    • duckduckgo
    • startpage
  3. Use only one good privacy plugin
    • duckduckgo
    • ublockorigin
    • adblockplus
  4. Never browse sites with questionable content (warez, torrents, pr*n)
    • if you must - use VPN
  5. To obfuscate the trail use a serious VPN provider
    • mullvad
    • protonvpn
    • nordvpn
12 Likes

linux-aarhus Your post would be better as a DO NOT DO LIST !
It did cross my Mind that my previous Post might be a threat to avert companies . Shame Shame Shame !

I was hoping not posting a detailed post on how to secure your browser would not attrack the Wolves from the Forest . I was wrong !

Although I’m temped to write a detailed post on this topic , I have learned my lesson . My intent was to help , not offend . Sorry !
I will now refrain from any related security topic’s ! Bye !

How do you use this file? Is it just to put it in the profile folder? And another question: It looks quite comprehensive, will it not break many sites, how is your experience of it?

Does anyone use/know this one for Android?

It is recommended at

2 Likes

I would like to try it, but I have not yet :see_no_evil:
I suppose that it’s the best option for android, privacy and usability

1 Like

That would be great! I haven’t tried it. Yet. Just wanted to ask here firs to see if anyone had any experience with it. If it is considered safe/secure/legit.

Last I heard, vivaldi (or was it opera?) was bought by a Chinese company.
If my data is going to leak, I prefer it is Westward.If.

:bowl_with_spoon::rice: :chopsticks:

On 10 February 2016, a group of Chinese investors offered US$1.2 billion ($8.31 per share) to buy Opera Software ASA,[note 1][33] though the deal reportedly did not meet regulatory approval.[34] On 18 July 2016, Opera Software ASA announced it had sold its browser, privacy and performance apps, and the Opera brand to Golden Brick Capital Private Equity Fund I Limited Partnership (a consortium of Chinese investors led by Beijing Kunlun Tech Co and Qihoo 360) for an amount of US$600 million.[34] The transaction for sale of Opera’s consumer business was approved on 31 October 2016 by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States.[35] On 4 November 2016, Golden Brick Capital Private Equity Fund I L.P. completed the acquisition

1 Like

That was opera. The company/person who now controls opera is beyond shady. Stay away at all costs.

6 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/d3r9up/is_bromite_browser_safe/

1 Like

sorry, I’ve forgot an alternative to bromite :slight_smile:
on firefox for mobile you can use some add-ons, and are available ublock origin, privacy badger and Decentraleyes

1 Like

I just read some news about Vivaldi-Snapshot. It’s not really security oriented, but rather a handy reminder if you want to keep your browser history to yourself.

1 Like

Thank you @cipolla!
Nice that you mention it. Just yesterday, I installed Firefox on my Android phone after a good while of not using it. The reason was that it felt heavy and sluggish at the time. I can’t feel that is much snappier now but I thing for privacy it is still the better choice.

1 Like

This is not so much about privacy browsers but rather about privacy and browser history. Not a new subject but the results from a new study.

TL;DR

Mozilla published the results of a recent study in the research paper “Replication: Why We Still Can’t Browse in Peace: On the Uniqueness and Reidentifiability of Web Browsing Histories” [PDF link] which it presented at the USENIX security conference earlier this month.

50% of users could be identified using the top 10,000 websites if the users visited at least 50 distinct websites in the period. If users visited 150 or more sites, the probability of identification increased to 80% using the top 10,000 websites as the data pool.

1 Like

I think among the popular browsers, Firefox is still the one that pays the most attention to security.

6 Likes

Thoughts / experiences on LibreWolf ?

P.S. In case you don’t want to compile for hours use -bin https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/librewolf-bin/

1 Like

Extensions do not install from about:addons, but from the web site they do.
UI looks slightly different; not obeying the gtk theme?
Screenshot_20210110_183335

So far, so good. : )

1 Like

I think it’s very good so far as well, need to test more, and i’ve just seen this:

I’ve just typed several confused paragraphs, only to realize that what you mean might be: the way you’re reading it, this blog post might be taken as Mozilla saying they intend to deplatform/“censor” by changing code in the browser?
Please, correct me if I’m wrong!

Assuming that’s what you meant: Even though I do not understand the post in the same way (and would carefully add that the basic debate behind it is a hugely complex topic which I intentionally wouldn’t want to even begin to tackle here and now), we would, of course, try to mitigate any such changes, should we become aware of them or be made aware of them. I would not assume this to be a realistic threat, but I would assume that it would not go unnoticed, should it turn out to be one contrary to my assumption.

Which means that by far it’s only Firefox based browser which acts against any code / algorhythmical censorship if there will be any inside Firefox browser, guess i’m switching to LibreWolf! :penguin:

UI looks slightly different; not obeying the gtk theme?

Not sure yet, to me it looks pretty similar, colors seems to follow theme on KDE when used with GTK Breeze

P.S. Don’t forget to upvote it in AUR if you like. hopefully one day it will be in arch repo -well deserved :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yes, i like it so far, guess i’ll stick with it. I feel bad using FF now, so it’s a no-brainer.
UI: It’s the tab bar on top, it’s almost gnome-like clunkyphat. I use breeze as gtk theme too. I’ll figure it out sooner or later.

Next to ditch is Thunderbird. : )

The forum sees me on Windows now:
what

2 Likes

Security by user agent obscurity :wink: