Which privacy browser?

Ungoogled… I disapprove because they have ripped out too much. The fact that you can’t use the store for exensions is line i don’t want to cross. No sync? I can live with that but is just a sign of what ungoogled chromium really is: the devs have not taken any consideration regarding functionality, and just ripped well… everything out.
Which is fine, if you know that’s what you’re getting.

I never understood the reason for pale moon; it is basically an outdated browser with slow or non-existent security updates for people who hate the new layout of Firefox so much they are willing to trade for it?

2 Likes

Pale Moon is not outdated and it regularly gets security patches. It is not “an outdated Firefox”, but a different browser which uses different rendering engine (derived from Gecko).

Yes, its layout is way more intuitive than that of Firefox, it also works better on older hardware. Lack of common extensions hurts though, that’s why I don’t currently use it.

3 Likes

B

It is derived from Firefox 29 and they only forked completely after Quantum came out, which makes it outdated. Quantum is a significant leap forward and Palemoon never took that step (because it would require a redesign of the entire browser, that’s why they have the other one with a snake icon that is pale moon quantum edition btw (and sorry I can’t remember the name of it right now)).

In short yes, Palemoon is per definition outdated since they opted out of using modern technology and stay with a code base objectively worse.

As for layout… it’s all a matter of taste. Personally I immediately switched to Chrome when it came out because it looked like Chrome. I find the old layout no more intuitive while wasting much more space.

Anyway, since realized who was behind Brave I have now uninstalled it but that means I am using Firefox while looking for another browser. It would be practical to have the same one in Linux and Windows but Chromium is not practical in Windows while Edge isn’t released for Linux yet… I REALLY don’t want to use vanilla Chrome so maybe I try Vivaldi again although it is not open source.

1 Like

My knowledge about Pale Moon is that of just an average user, so no clue about their code base.

Same here. Always looking for that “perfect browser” :sweat_smile: I do realize that Firefox is probably the most portable, secure and flexible option, but still, I don’t like it for several reasons.
Vivaldi is a nice one, light, user-friendly (like other Chromium-based browsers) and it doesn’t track you afaik. Unfortunately it is not ported to freebsd, so for now its Opera and Firefox for me :unamused:

Unless I am missing something, privacy badger does something totally different than decentraleyes. I am not sure that would be an either/or situation.

I don’t use pale moon but not because it is bad. I just don’t like it.

• It a a fork of firefox from a very long time ago and it looks like it.
  • At this point, the availability of extensions has dropped most extensions providers stopped supporting the old standards
  • Because they are fairly militant about both their stance on no changes and their unwillingness to upstream any changes, it isn’t in most distros repos.

I do like ungoogled chromium, but it is time consuming to build. You are left with a choice of waiting for it to build or accepting the risks of using a 3rd party repo.

I use Firefox most of the time because I think that temporary containers is the ultimate privacy related add-on. I wish it was available in Vivaldi as I like that browser too.

You might reconsider using Opera…it was sold to an ultra shady Chinese company. I mean, really, really shady to the point where they will do more or less anything for money. Including offering ultra-high interest rate loans targeting low income individuals and then scaling the interest rates. How high is ultra high? How about 876%.

7 Likes

Yeah, basically if you want Opera, go Vivaldi.

Trying Vivaldi again. I notice the build in adblocker is now active and seems competent enough to block ads on Swedish tabloids.

Do you still use uBlock Origin with that?

Edit: Nevermind, I opted to uninstall it again. There is just so much that irks me with it. Starting with the minor things like it doesn’t take default themes like Chrome / Chromium / Firefox / Brave does. You have to hand craft a theme.
The rest of the UI is also weird to me; apparently people don’t use bookmarks anymore since they are not easily found. It is two clicks just to open the bookmark menu. And so on. Minor things, but a lot.

I hope that soon will be available the new Microsoft browser on Arch linux :smiley: :smiley:
it should be the answer to all these privacy problems :smiley:

5 Likes

I guess I should sue your doc.

1 Like

This the “Temporary Containers” you’re referring to?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/temporary-containers/?src=search

2 Likes

Yes. You can configure to automatically create a separate container for each tab. This makes it so something like a shared cookie is basically useless since no other site you visit can see it. Of course, every tab in it’s own container is probably too extreme a setting but it is highly configurable so you can decide what you want to open in a separate container. Just make sure you enable automatic mode or it doesn’t do much.

2 Likes

Previously, even before Quantum, I used the Palemoon browser. Back then, you could even install Firefox add-ons. He has become very outdated by now.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I don’t know how compatible Basilisk (name corrected) is with Firefox addons; it IS supposedly using the Quantum engine.

In my case only Palemoon supporting Digital Certificate dongle for my official works. Old IE also supports. No other browser at all.(Windows only)

I guess if your choices are IE or PaleMoon, then yeah, I totally can see using PaleMoon.

What is Zephyr? This is it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyr_(operating_system)

No problem.

Sorry my bad. Basilisk. Not sure where I got Zephyr from.

Edit: I see that it too is behind, but not as much. It has no support for modern Firefox addons and is just one generation “newer” than Pale moon (in other words yet another fork to preserve an interface, leading to an inability to adopt modern technology…)

Or just a Ctrl+B :slight_smile:
I don’t remember why did I quit using Vivaldi before, but it feels like a very polished experience now :woman_shrugging: