Which music player do you run under Linux?

Unfortunately, if you have a library of classical music in which much of the music is divided into sections which should be played continuously (for example, several tracks within a single movement), VLC will not play this music “gapless.” This is a major flaw in VLC and I wish it could be corrected. (I have read several explanations as to why it cannot but I believe that if the developers would just put their minds to it, “gapless” music playback could be achieved; certainly other players, including Audacious and some others, do it.) This has been a problem for many years.

However, as you mention, VLC is fine for Internet Radio and, as for videos, I personally have not run across anything that could not be played full-screen (I use primarily MKV video files).

I wish that VLC could be made to play music “gapless;” at that point I would need only one universal player.

Lawrence

Thank you for your detailed information, I learned a lot of things I didn’t know so far. I think it can be said that there is no perfect player capable of anything.

2 Likes

mpd with ncmpcpp as frontend

2020-09-22-221811_891x649_scrot

5 Likes

[quote=“anon9173994, post:1, topic:8314”]![2020-09-22_23-31|294x362]
AIMP
[/quote]

Hello @anon9173994,

I use qmmp, which looks like winamp from the 1990s:

2020-09-22_23-31

4 Likes

I have all my music in my Plex server. Allows me to play my music anywhere. Plex has apps for just about every platform, plus web browser.

I use Kodi for most media. Love the available plugins :grinning:

3 Likes

if anyone is interested in trying nmd + ncmpcpp - i have a script that’s set it up for you - you just have to answer one question . path to music folder and the script does the rest. work only on Arch distros tho. many have complained it’s hard to set up so just lemme know I’ll share the script

4 Likes

I ran foobar2000 a few years ago:

Old looking, but worked well. Homemade!

Thanks to everyone who wrote :heart: Got some tips! Will test some of them.

1 Like

For the fellow MPD users who like a GUI check out Ymuse. It’s very nice. I still prefer ncmpcpp but when I am in the mood for a GUI (which is rare) I use Ymuse.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear :confused: I think I’ve been running VLC for 15 years. Must have seen several thousand movies and series on VLC. Can’t remember any time it didn’t work. I have run everything from avi, mp4, mkv and more. I may have been lucky!

2 Likes

so dissapointed right now

At what?

I’d love to see that script. I’ve set it up before (using it right now). but I curse every time I want to set it up on a new machine and have to actually remember how to do it.

posted it on pastebin
run the script BEFORE you try to start ncmpcpp or mpd

edit:
@anon61101858 was just jk

3 Likes

I really like cmus. Other music players always are overloaded with many function I never use anyway. Can’t get much simpler than cmus.

2 Likes

DeaDBeef for sound quality and it’s Graphic EQ (I used to be a Sound Engineer so I like having a decent EQ if needed) and also Strawberry which also sounds great but is more fully featured. I used to use Clementine but that project seems be running out of steam. Strawberry is a newer and more active fork of that.
Another reason I like these two is that they allow you to keep your own file structure for your music files instead of building “libraries” like iTunes and some other applications. I hate it when apps do that: they’re my files and I want them my way! :lion: :laughing:

2 Likes

I am now testing Sayonara Player 1.6.0-beta6. AppImage!

I think I like it! Thanks to everyone who gave tips on it!

5 Likes

I’ve found some things with Sayonara Player that I do not like. I do not know if it has to do with running a beta. But it does not remember where you were in the list if you minimize the player.

For example, if I go to an artist and an album then minimizes the window, it does not remember where it was and starts everything from the beginning with the first artist instead.

Otherwise I like it!

1 Like

Now Lollypop died for me. Just got an update. 1.4.0-1. Now I know why I like AppImage so much :wink:

1 Like

Up and running again.

This is how I fixed it:

[sg@Lenovo-TC-M710q pkg]$ sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/.all/lollypop-1.3.6-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
lollypop-1.3.6-1-any 466,2 KiB 2,85 MiB/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
lollypop-1.3.6-1… 310,0 B 0,00 B/s 00:00 [----------------------] 100%
loading packages…
warning: downgrading package lollypop (1.4.0-1 => 1.3.6-1)
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) lollypop-1.3.6-1

Total Installed Size: 2,46 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: -0,06 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [----------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes…
(1/1) downgrading lollypop [----------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
(2/4) Compiling GSettings XML schema files…
(3/4) Updating icon theme caches…
(4/4) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache…
[sg@Lenovo-TC-M710q pkg]$

No idea if that’s how you should do. But it worked! :wink:

1 Like