Which method to use for preloading apps into RAM?

I have been reading this ArcWiki page about preloading applications into RAM for quicker launch.

The first one seems to use a per-case-basis preloading method which can be specified in some “config” file. The second one runs a daemon and gather statistics about the usage of the apps. Based on these statistics it will preload those apps into RAM.

I wanted to ask if anyone is using preloading and which method? Some pros and cons, etc.

; )

bump2
bump!
:blush:

I’d answer something, but to me programs loading very fast here on KDE, almost like a blink of an eye, so…

No idea :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Jeez, NVME … when do you wan them loaded? Yesterday? lol

2 Likes

I never used that method, at least for me it is not necessary …
In BSD it is used almost permanently, but in Linux I don’t see it as necessary, since the structure of the code is very different. It also produces more heat in laptops and the processor is blown up.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your replies!

I just got curious about it when I read that Wiki page.I can wait some milliseconds more for Firefox. I am not in that much of a hurry. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think your curiosity is perfect, it’s always good to be curious!

:100: :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words! It means a lot!

:maté:

1 Like

You could autostart them at login so they’re ready while you have a sip of coffee, and then use hibernate so they’re always ready thereafter.
I autoload everything I use in KDE (including steam so my steam controller can be used as remote control from the sofa, and Vivaldi), and it’s easy fast enough to have everything running a few seconds after plasma displays the desktop. I used to use hibernate but startup and shutdown is fast enough now that I don’t bother.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good approach. I will try that!

Thanks!
:purple_heart: :enos:

2 Likes