Which DE are you using?

I had my ups and downs with kde plasma. I like xfce but two things bug me a lot, 1) its painfully difficult to resize windows on the corners using a mouse, 2) thunar does not seem to have a proper file search function. I also like i3 wm, to me the usage of the full window space and tiling makes most sense.

Gnome is to me the most well integrated and simple DE, it is very polished nice looking but for me something always breaks or bugs me. Last time I used gnome it locked me out after suspend and did not allow me to log back in with my password (randomly). Full disclosure it was not on EOS. That was a deal breaker else I would perhaps be using it too.

Right know I use kde on work laptop, xfce+ i3wm at home. Used cinnamon for a while as it seems to be the only one dealing well with my high dpi screens.

1 Like

I’ve tried a lot of DE. Currently I am using XFCE. I also like KDE Plasma.
I’d like to try I3 … maybe one day if I have the time. :wink:

Translation with deepl.com

That purple dog toy needs an :enos: logo! :grin:

1 Like

As someone who uses xfce a lot, here’s a passing thought or two…

1. Hold ALT and use R MOUSE to resize - no searching or fussing.
  2. I added Catfish to Thunar - it is so easy to customize in MOST ways…
Add to ~/.config/Thunar/uca.xml
<action>
	<icon>catfish</icon>
	<name>Search with catfish</name>
	<unique-id>1489089852658523-2</unique-id>
	<command>catfish --path=$f$d</command>
	<description></description>
	<patterns>*</patterns>
	<directories/>
</action>
7 Likes

Thanks for this!

You’re welcome - I have LOTS of them added in to Thunar (convert png to jpg, check sha sums, open dir as root, compare files/dirs with meld etc etc). If you want any more of them - just ask!

1 Like

Which I use depends on the computer, main is back to UKUI, though a bit more half-assed than before, as I’d been having problems with Plasma. The media is on Plasma, the bedroom is on… I think UKUI, haven’t used it in a month. And my laptop that no one wanted to buy is now running LeftWM though I need some time to set it up properly.

I didn’t notice. But now that you’re saying it … merci beaucoup

You are opening a whole new world, didnt know that the file manager can be configured in such way.

I may write one to convert mkv to mp4 using ffmpeg if that is possible.

Should be - at worst you can write a script, and have that called by Thunar using the same methods. Lots of info on that at XFCE-docs (or close) when researching…

After abandoning Vista and grabbing a Ubuntu CD to install, I was okay with Gnome until Unity came along. Tried KDE a few times and boy did it suck big-time… And that stupid naming, Konverter instead of Converter… so childish, so ridiculous…

But the surprise is over, after testing KDE 6 months ago it just took over. Mostly what you don’t like can be dumped - so it’s not even a desktop (like Gnome) as much as a children’s LEGO kit with switches to turn bits on and off.

Have you been time travelling?

:wink:

1 Like

What’s there to dump? The Kde Plasma setup on Endeavour is one of the best and I’ve tried them all! I like the plasma parts not so much the kde apps but some of them i do like. Some i don’t and i choose what i want but mostly what is already installed is minimal and okay for me. I just add other stuff. For instance Discover is out! which is good. Vista? I guess you were time travelling. :laughing:

2 Likes

Lolz well yes, mostly I deleted the panel and put in Latte bottom right for my systray, and another on the right edge for the tasks, put kwin-effects-OSD for a clock (shows semi-transparent on top, good for watching Plex fullscreen)…

Just tweaking really, I don’t like panels for some reason. I think from original Gnome I felt it took up vertical screenspace on a widescreen, and stuff like the Event Calendar need horizontal space to look right.

I used to switch between Gnome and Plasma but never could just stay with one or the other now im using Cinnamon and have no desire to swtich

1 Like

It appears there’s a subliminal message in there…

I am maybe the second person who doesn’t like KDE. Its looks like a good customizable DE but probably I’m the one too dumb to config it. Plus it faced severe lags on my PC. I tried it on Fedora, Solus and Arch. On all three it lagged to the extent that I would call it unusable. Interesting fact is that when I run a VM on the same PC and then run KDE inside that, then it works okay.
(No hate intended towards KDE. I’m just sharing my experience.)

Anyways I use i3wm and will probably switch to AwesomeWM. I also keep Xfce installed in case I need to use a traditional style desktop for some reason. Before I started using i3, Xfce was my fav DE. I did use Budgie for few months since I used Solus and they didn’t have Xfce in their repo.

1 Like

No problem with Cinnamon. It’s reliable and i find out of all the desktops it seems to have the least amount of issues with updates. Just keeps ticking.

3 Likes

@flyingcakes

you no alone + no dumb . You like what you like !:wink: :vulcan_salute: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I agree, I’m using Plasma now, but next month it might be Cinnamon lol. :rofl: