I use Sakura primarily, although I also use Alacritty on occasion. I honestly can’t remember why I started using Sakura, but I’ve just stuck with it ever since.
Cool Retro Term is pretty slick too. I use that when I want flashbacks of when I used an Amiga.
I find myself putting xfce4-terminal on systems that are not XFCE now - because I like having the preferences so accessible, and the drop-down (and its own preferences) are so useful/easy. I don’t worry about resources, but it isn’t all that heavy anyway…
Does Tilda count? I only use it cause of the drop down functionality which is pretty much a mandatory requirement for my workflow. Other than that, when I am opening up a non drop down terminal I don’t particularly care; whatever comes with the distro is fine.
Since I don’t do Qt environments there are really only two I use:
xfce4 terminal and Tilix. I use either of them in any DE I use (I have ran Cinnamon with Xfce4 terminal as default many times). But since I bought a new computer I almost exclusively use Tilix even as default on Xfce.
I use xterm on first install because it’s always there and works. I then install either Termite or Alacritty. On my minimalist DWM installation (on my Intel NUC), I use only suckless stuff - dwm, dmenu with st, all compiled from the suckless webiste.
They are all good and I think all of these support unicode properly. One odd thing is that I have a clickable widget on Polybar that opens a terminal and runs a Pacman upgrade. It won’t work on Termite but works on the others.
If I’m honest, I would have to say that ST is all I need. With a couple of patches and ZSH, it’s perfect.
I’ve tried several and always come back to urxvt. It’s easy to configure, works well regardless of the wm I’m using and is fast enough for my needs. Unfortunately, I will often forget why I don’t like a particular emulator, try it out again, and then the ball is rolling as I give them all a test drive (again) After reading all of these posts I may be terminal hopping next week…