What is the best CD ripper for Linux?

I am asking for a friend who is an audio enthusiast still using Windows OS to rip his CDs. He can not let loose of “DBPowerAmp CD Ripper”. He did not find a good alternative on Linux.

Is that true? Do you know a good alternative for Linux? I assume minimum requirement is: FLAC support, cover art support and paranoia mode.

Personally i’d try to be KISS
Anything goes, you can create simple scripts to automate routines etc…

.flac, paranoia - whatever :upside_down_face:

P.S. I assume you can do all that stuff in k3b, but i haven’t

abcde

https://abcde.einval.com/wiki/

RubyRipper has been recommended in many forum threads and seems to be one of Linux’s best ripping solutions. Also, many feel the closest to EAC in quality of rips.

1 Like

There appear to be a few easily found - but I never had any problem with anything I used (mostly to OGG) so far. Here’s a few to investigate:

┌07:29:59 WD= [/usr/share/conkywx]
└───freebird@nest ─▶$ yay audio ripper
6 aur/gnormalize 0.63-7 (+0 0.00) (Orphaned) 
    Audio normalizer, converter, encoder/decoder, ripper, tagger and player
5 aur/freac-git 1.1.5.r1.613b5731-1 (+3 0.15) 
    Audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders.
4 aur/rip 1.07-3 (+5 0.00) 
    A command-line based audio CD track ripper and MP3, FLAC, or Ogg Vorbis encoder
3 aur/freac 1.1.5-1 (+9 0.39) 
    Audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders.
2 aur/rubyripper 0.8.0rc3-2 (+13 0.00) 
    Secure audiodisc ripper
1 aur/morituri-git 0.2.3.r17.g135b2f7-1 (+18 0.00) 
    a CD ripper aiming for accuracy over speed, modelled after Exact Audio Copy
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 

There are undoubtedly more :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know “What is the best CD ripper for Linux” for the requirements of someone

but I have used Asunder before and I recall it worked rather well.
:cd:

2 Likes

I personally use either soundConverter [soundConverter] or soundKonverter [soundKonverter]. Both of these programs are very good and are easy to use.

soundKonverter is more configurable (more complex) yet it is not difficult to use.

Both of these programs can ‘rip’ a CD to whatever music format you desire and at whatever quality level you wish.

I hope that this is of some interest to your friend.

Lawrence

1 Like

If you are using KDE the best choice is K3b , better choice is rubyripper will give you the same features as DBPowerAmp, one is based on the other i think.

2 Likes

I would go for fre:ac (Gui : AUR, Snap) or whipper (fork of morituri which seems to be discontinued; console : official repos, Snap).
If you want something in the quality of ExactAudioCopy for Windows (as far as I know the reference tool) you should go for whipper.
Another great Tool is soundKonverter (Gui : official repos). It’s not only a ripper, but also a whole suite for audio conversion. I’ve been using it for a long time.Supports nearly all formats you can think of (input and output).

Formate

1 Like

It’s k3b :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s K3b
Linux → case sensitive, you know

:wink:

2 Likes

I think everybody has their favourite cd-ripper for linux. What you prefer to use most is the best. To me K3b is overkill so I prefer to use Audex. It’s simple and it’s a KDE app also… :wink:

I use asunder. Basic, simple and works just fine.

1 Like

Asunder is one the best.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your suggestions. It looks like my friend will stay with DBPowerAmp CD Ripper on Windows.

Main reasons for him to stay with DBPowerAmp CD Ripper:

• it supports the Discogs metadata service instead of gnudb.gnudb.org
  • easy tagging (single file, bulk file) is included
  • cover art is downloaded as well
  • ripped songs get a checksum and are compared with a remote database to verify accuracy. They call this “Accurate Rip”
1 Like

Well that is their choice but Ruby ripper does the most important, Accurate Rip if you they change their mind, also DBPowerAmp CD Ripper works with wine as far as I know, To me looks more like excuses to stay using windows but what do i know anwway :wink: