What does future hold for EnOS

Come on guys, chill out… :peace_symbol:

@Bryanpwo
Where can one find a list of what’s needed help with in Calamares?

I believe what @jonathon initially wanted to say that it’s not very clear what exactly is needed to be done, so it would be easier for potential contributors to follow

7 Likes

I second that, and it made me think:

I just had to search for the donate link and found it in the menu under “Websites”. I know it’s not good to make it the first and largest thing the visitor sees on the site, but it should stand out better and be visible on every page. Even better, if it had an animated widget, it would draw more attention. Not that it has to scream at people and annoy them, but it is important for all FOSS developers who do what they do, and they should never be afraid to ask, or even push it when times get tough.

I may be broke right now (my life’s story), but on occasion when times are good and I am very pleased about some FOSS project because it helped me do things that would otherwise be expensive, I donate a few bucks. It really is the most important thing to make FOSS able to give corporations a run for their money. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

I wanted to make a donation but when I went onto the donation site I found that Open Collective takes only bank transfers or credit cards.

I do not wish to donate via either of those two methods as I do not feel comfortable putting my information into such a site which is not known to me.

Can you (would you) set up PayPal option within the Open Collective page or, even better, just a straight PayPal link within the donation page (in addition to Open Collective)?

I’m sorry to “be this way” but, with all of the unfortunate financial incidents taking place at the present time, I will donate only through PayPal.

Thank you for considering my request.

Lawrence

you can do by paypall also ?

edit: paypal is also a digital form of a creditcard .

If i remember correctly PayPal had a huge data breach a while back. So they aren’t 100% secure either.

There is NO type of finance which has not had some sort of data breach in the last number of years.

But my PayPal account is linked only to one credit card and, if either that credit card or PayPal itself were to be breached, there would be no financial loss to me (per United States regulations and our credit card companies’ policies).

I have been using PayPal where appropriate and where is is accepted and I have never had any problem whatsoever with the service itself or the credit card to which it is linked. (I have had other credit cards, which I use in person, compromised but, again as per our laws, I had no financial loss at all.)

My PayPal account is NOT linked to my bank account (nothing is!) and I do not have a debit card.

I use PayPal exclusively for making transactions in other countries. In other words, if a non-U.S. site does not accept PayPal as a form of payment, I do not deal with that site.

So I hope that EndeavourOS can make donation by PayPal possible. If PayPal does become an option, I shall gladly make a donation.

Lawrence

1 Like

Monero, if we count cripto :upside_down_face:

How have you done that?
I’d like to know

Oh geez…I am having Manjaro PTSD reading this thread. :grimacing:

6 Likes

The os is free the servers not so much.

4 Likes

@jonathon is right, project is suffering from scope creep, which is creating unnecessary workloads. Brain drain and burn out is part and parcel of all FOSS projects, failing to plan for this eventuality is why most FOSS projects end.

Bottom line is to keep the project as focussed and simple as possible, vanilla Arch systems with a graphical networked installer. If this is too much then I fear for the long term viability of the project, which would be a shame.

11 Likes

There is an incredibly easy way around that: fosshost.org

You see, I sometimes spend time on things other than programming.

9 Likes

:astonished: :scream: :scream_cat:

heretic.

4 Likes

If something is good then it becomes popular. With popularity comes expectation. With expectation comes pressure. Sub Pop and the Grunge scene was fairly underground until Nirvana released Smells Like Teen Spirit. That song was what everyone wanted to hear but it made Grunge so mainstream by it’s success that it destroyed Grunge. Endeavour is becoming popular because it’s good. If Endeavour is about community then we need to stay strong to our beliefs and maintain it’s integrity. I would like to point out that Endeavour is not just a nice idea. Servers need paying and the Devs need a hand obviously. I have no idea what I can offer but I’m up for it in my own limited way. As Aragorn said before the gates of Mordor: “What say you?”. Don’t let this special place burn out like another lost firework in the face of corporate greed and hunger for power! :metal:

2 Likes

The future is bright! We just have to Endeavour without expectations. Keep rolling! Arch on! Give a little. Be happy! Maybe try a different desktop? :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve given up trying different desktops. Pacman is my my belief. Whether that plays out to be Arch or not I do not know. All I know is that Arch and Endeavour are the best thing I have found so far. I was a huge Manjaro fan for so long and I still maintain one PC with that distro running but honestly I have found no issues with running Arch or EnOS regarding stability. You now what? I’ll just carry on doing my own sweet thing learning Linux as a whole. All I know is this place (Endeavour) is a place where we are free to express our own opinions. Long may this corner of the computing internet remain. Freedom!

6 Likes

Make Arch Great Again :smiley:

make-arch-great-again-new

Sorry @c00ter :smiley: I changed it to new Garuda logo :wink:

6 Likes

this going offtopic, i think is said enough also :slight_smile:

i gona close this topic

7 Likes