What AUR packages are you using?

Inspired by the thread about “Would you use Arch without the AUR”:

How many, and which AUR packages are you using?

To make it easier, count them with pacman -Qmq | wc -l. Drop the | wc -l for a short list.

To make it easier, count them with pacman -Qm | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l. Drop the | wc -l for a short list.

I have 13 AUR packages installed.

AUR packages:

Get a simple list for copy&paste with expac -Q "**%n**\n%d" $(pacman -Qmq).

If you want to use this just in your terminal, better to use expac -Q "\e[1m%n\e[0m\n%d" $(pacman -Qmq).

Get a simple list for copy&paste with while read -r line; do echo -e '**'$line'**'; LANG=C pacman -Qi $line | grep --color=never -Po '^Description\s*: \K.+'; done < <(pacman -Qm | awk '{print $1}').

If you want to use this just in your terminal, better to use while read -r line; do echo -e '\033[1m'$line'\033[0m'; LANG=C pacman -Qi $line | grep --color=never -Po '^Description\s*: \K.+'; done < <(pacman -Qm | awk '{print $1}').

My AUR packages:

7-zip-full
File archiver with a high compression ratio (full package to replace p7zip)
bc-gh
Implementation of dc and POSIX bc with GNU extensions
btrfs-assistant
An application for managing BTRFS subvolumes and Snapper snapshots
fast_float
Fast and exact implementation of the C++ from_chars functions:4x faster than strtod
hstr
Bash and Zsh shell history suggest box - easily view, navigate, search and manage your command history.
neovim-symlinks
Runs neovim if vi or vim is called
nnn-nerd
The fastest terminal file manager ever written (with icon support using a patched nerd font).
ntfsprogs-ntfs3
NTFS filesystem utilities without NTFS-3G driver. For system with kernel >= 5.15
paps
Converts Unicode text to postscript and pdf using pango
rate-mirrors-bin
Everyday-use client-side map-aware mirror ranking tool - pre-built with musl
turbo-base64
Fastest Base64 SIMD Encoding library
ueberzugpp
Command line util which allows to display images in combination with X11 written in C++
wsdd2
WSD/LLMNR Discovery/Name Service Daemon. Install it to make Samba shares discoverable on Windows hosts.

Looking forward to your answers! I think it can be more insightful to see what active EnOS users from the forum have, than just looking at the popularity numbers from the AUR database.

EDIT to optimize the commands a lot, thanks to @manuel.

There is also this thread:

This didn’t show up as a suggestion while I was writing mine… :sweat_smile:

Also, I think my post adds a little to the discussion. I am not going to put every name posted there in the AUR database to see what it is for. Maybe dxvk-bin is of interest, but it’s just too much to follow up with only the names.

Oh I thought I installed more packages from the AUR. :open_mouth:

azure-cli
Command-line tools for Azure.
intellij-idea-ultimate-edition
An intelligent IDE for Java, Groovy and other programming languages with advanced refactoring features intensely focused on developer productivity.
intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre
An intelligent IDE for Java, Groovy and other programming languages with advanced refactoring features intensely focused on developer productivity.

Looks like I have quite a few:

alpm_octopi_utils
Alpm utils for Octopi
bindtointerface
With this program you can bind applications to a specific network interface / network adapter.
catt
Cast All The Things - Send videos from many, many online sources to your Chromecast.
catt-qt
A control GUI for Chromecasts written using python3, catt api, pychromecast and PyQt5.
crow-translate
A simple and lightweight translator that allows you to translate and speak text using Google, Yandex Bing, LibreTranslate and Lingva
deemix
A barebone deezer downloader library
dxvk-bin
A Vulkan-based compatibility layer for Direct3D 9/10/11 which allows running 3D applications on Linux using Wine (Windows DLL binary files)
filebot
The ultimate TV and Movie Renamer
firefox-profile-switcher-connector-bin
Native connector software for the ‘Profile Switcher for Firefox’ extension.
gede
Graphical frontend (GUI) to GDB written in Qt.
gwe
A system utility for controlling NVIDIA GPUs
ipscan
Angry IP Scanner (or simply ipscan) is an open-source and cross-platform network scanner designed to be fast and simple to use. It scans IP addresses and ports as well as has many other features.
jdownloader2
Download manager, written in Java, for one-click hosting sites like Rapidshare and Megaupload. Uses its own updater.
libgbinder
GLib-style interface to binder
libglibutil
Library of glib utilities
libva-nvidia-driver
VA-API implementation that uses NVDEC as a backend
makemkv
DVD and Blu-ray to MKV converter
megasync-bin
Easy automated syncing between your computers and your MEGA cloud drive
mullvad-vpn-bin
The Mullvad VPN client app for desktop
octopi
This is Octopi, a powerful Pacman frontend using Qt libs
oneko
A cat that chases around your cursor
pandoc-bin
Pandoc - executable only, without 750MB Haskell depends/makedepends
plex-media-server-plexpass
The back-end media server component of Plex.
protonhax
Program to help executing outside programs in proton
protonmail-bridge-bin
Integrate ProtonMail paid account with any program that supports IMAP and SMTP
protonup-qt-bin
Install and manage Proton-GE for Steam and Wine-GE for Lutris with this graphical user interface.
pup
Command line tool for processing HTML
python-casttube
YouTube Chromecast API
python-deezer-py
A wrapper for all Deezer’s APIs
python-gbinder
Python bindings for libgbinder
python-injector
Python dependency injection framework, inspired by Guice.
python-py3nvml
Bindings for NVML library.
python-pychromecast
Library for Python 3 to communicate with the Google Chromecast
rig
Random Identity Generator
sc-controller
User-mode driver and GTK3 based GUI for Steam Controller
sunshine-bin
A self-hosted game stream host for Moonlight.
system-monitoring-center
Multi-featured system monitor.
systemd-kcm
Systemd control module for KDE
typora
A minimal markdown editor and reader.
ventoy-bin
A new bootable USB solution
vkd3d-proton-bin
Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation library (Windows DLL binary files)
vlc-bittorrent
A bittorrent plugin for VLC.
vorta
A GUI for BorgBackup
waydroid
A container-based approach to boot a full Android system on a regular Linux system
waydroid-image
LineageOS-based Android images for Waydroid
waypipe
A proxy for Wayland protocol applications; like ssh -X
whatip
Info on your IP
xcowsay
a program based on cowsay that displays a cute cow and message on your desktop
xwaylandvideobridge-bin
A tool to make it easy to stream wayland windows and screens to Xwayland applicatons that don’t have native pipewire support.

1 Like

If you only post the names, this thread will turn into a repeat from the earlier thread…

Edited to include descriptions.

$ expac -Q "%n§%v§%d" $(pacman -Qmq) | column -t -s'§'
pandoc-bin             3.1.8-1         Pandoc - executable only, without 750MB Haskell depends/makedepends
shellcheck-bin         0.9.0-1         Shell script analysis tool (binary release, static)
virtualbox-ext-oracle  7.0.12-1        Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
vscodium-insiders-bin  1.84.0.23283-1  Binary releases of Code Insiders without branding/telemetry/licensing (binary release)

Let’s see here:

btrfs-assistant
An application for managing BTRFS subvolumes and Snapper snapshots
btrfsmaintenance
btrfs maintenance scripts
grass
Geospatial data management and analysis, image processing, graphics/maps production, spatial modeling and visualization
kvantum-theme-nordic-git
Nordic theme for KDE Plasma 5
nord-konsole
An arctic, north-bluish clean and elegant Konsole color scheme
nordic-kde-git
Theme for KDE Plasma 5 using the awesome Nord color pallete
nordic-theme-git
Nord-derived themes for GTK and other platforms
nordzy-cursors
Cursor theme using the Nord color palette and based on Vimix and cz-Viator
pcloud-drive
pCloud drive. Electron edition.
sddm-nordic-theme-git
Nordic theme for SDDM
vi-vim-symlink
Replace vi with vim
zoho-mail-desktop
The desktop version of your favorite mailsuite!
zplug
A next-generation plugin manager for zsh

1 Like

zoho has a desktop mail? what it that like. standalone? more efficient that browser (I’ve had a Z acct fo a long time).

arch-silence-grub-theme-git
Arch Silence - GRUB2 theme - GIT version
autofs
A kernel-based automounter for Linux
cpu-x
A Free software that gathers information on CPU, motherboard and more
edid-decode-git
EDID decoder and conformance tester
f3
Simple tool that tests flash cards capacity and performance to see if they live up to claimed specif
ications
freeoffice
A complete, reliable, lightning-fast and Microsoft Office-compatible office suite with a word proces
sor, spreadsheet, and presentation graphics software.
hw-probe
Tool to probe for hardware, check its operability and upload result to the Linux hardware DB: http:/
/linux-hardware.org
masterpdfeditor
A complete solution for viewing, creating and editing PDF files
mawk
An interpreter for the AWK Programming Language
microsoft-edge-stable-bin
A browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer
, and easier
nestopia
An NES emulator featuring cycle exact emulation, a ridiculous number of mappers, and lots of custom
sound chips.
onlyoffice-bin
An office suite that combines text, spreadsheet and presentation editors
usbimager-bin
Minimal GUI application to write compressed disk images to USB drives (GTK+ Frontend)

Iden

As far as I can tell, it is identical to the browser version. I use the standalone and browser versions interchangeably.

Nice oneliner! Much shorter than what I cobbled together.

Good choice of packages for productivity, too. I have Pandoc on another machine.

Program expac is very useful for listing package info. :wink:

1 Like

These are mine

➜  expac -Q "%n§%v§%d" $(pacman -Qmq) | column -t -s'§'
archlinux-java-run                    10-1                            Java Application Launcher for Arch Linux
brave-bin                             1:1.59.120-1                    Web browser that blocks ads and trackers by default (binary release)
catppuccin-gtk-theme-frappe           0.7.0-1                         Soothing pastel theme for GTK3 - Frappe
catppuccin-gtk-theme-latte            0.7.0-1                         Soothing pastel theme for GTK3 - Latte
catppuccin-gtk-theme-macchiato        0.7.0-1                         Soothing pastel theme for GTK3 - Macchiato
catppuccin-gtk-theme-mocha            0.7.0-1                         Soothing pastel theme for GTK3 - Mocha
conjure                               0.1.2-1                         Magically transform your images.
fastfetch                             2.1.2-1                         Like Neofetch, but much faster because written in C
freetube-bin                          0.19.1-1                        An open source desktop YouTube player built with privacy in mind.
gaiasky                               3:3.5.5.3b4d54b77-1             Open source 3D universe simulator for desktop and VR with support for more than a billion objects
hardinfo                              0.5.1.816.g877ea2b-2            A system information and benchmark tool.
imagewriter                           1.10.1432200249.1d253d9.2.17-1  A graphical utility for writing raw disk images & hybrid isos to USB keys
klassy                                4.3.breeze5.27.5-1              Klassy is a highly customizable binary Window Decoration and Application Style plugin for recent versions of the KDE Plasma desktop. It provides the Klassy, Kite, Oxygen/Breeze, and Redmond icon styles.
konsave                               2.2.0-2                         Save and apply your KDE Plasma customizations with just one command!
librewolf-bin                         118.0.2-1                       Community-maintained fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom.
lightly-git                           r2172.121a61e5-2                A modern style for qt applications
localsend-bin                         1.11.1-1                        An open source cross-platform alternative to AirDrop
metadata-cleaner                      2.5.4-1                         Python GTK application to view and clean metadata in files, using mat2
nitch                                 0.1.6-2                         Incredibly fast system fetch written in nim
nordzy-icon-theme-git                 r491.f44043ce-1                 Nordzy is a free and open source icon theme for Linux desktops using the Nord color palette from Arctic Ice Studio and based on WhiteSur and Numix Icon Theme.
pacseek                               1.7.11-1                        A terminal user interface for searching and installing Arch Linux packages
pfetch                                0.6.0-3                         A pretty system information tool written in POSIX sh.
ph-userjs-updater                     1.6.1-1                         Load or update user.js for Firefox and Thunderbird from privacy-handbuch.de
plasma5-applets-weather-widget-2-git  r272.da2eef4-1                  An updated version of the plasma-applet-weather-widget by Kotelnik
pyradio                               0.9.2.16-1                      Internet radio player for the command line
sddm-theme-catppuccin-git             r48.7fc67d1-1                   Soothing pastel theme for SDDM
softmaker-office-nx-bin               1204-1                          Proprietary office suite; word processing, spreadsheets, presentations (subscription version)
stellarium-bin                        23.3-1                          Free GPL software which renders realistic skies in real time with OpenGL
ttf-twemoji                           14.0.2-2                        Twitter Color Emoji for everyone.
tvbrowser                             4.2.7-1                         Java-based TV guide which is easily extensible using plugins

I could answer how many I have loaded - but a little harder to determine which ones I actually USE. As I find the time, I am weeding them out - the ones that I tried and didn’t turn out to need :grin:

For sure am using brave-bin, and the GTK versions of Audacious - the rest I have to do through…

Very true, didn’t know about it. Small consolation: My version is more readable here.

1 Like

Here is a little variation of the command using grep instead awk. Why? Because I can:

$ pacman -Qm | grep -oE '^[^ ]+'
cpp-httplib-compiled
cubeb
kwin-bismuth
tochd
xemu-git
xone-dkms-git
xone-dongle-firmware

I think cpp-httplib-compiled and cubeb aren’t used directly and was probably needed to make something else to work. kwin-bismuth is an addon for KDE Plasma to have auto tiling functionality. I used Qtile for years and just recently switched back to KDE and couldn’t live without autotiling anymore. Great extension. tochd is actually my own package from my own application. It’s to convert emulator related CD like formats into a universal format called CHD (hence the name to and chd). xemu-git is an original XBOX emulator. The xone related packages is to make my proprietary Xbox One wireless receiver from Microsoft work. I prefer that over Bluetooth.

Tip / reminder:

pacman -Qmq

shows the same. :smile:

2 Likes