Welcome has a new notification feature

To enable the Welcome app to notify users (who did not see it in the forum) about important changes, the latest Welcome 3.36-1 window shows a possible notification on the upper part of the Welcome window.

When the notification is no more needed, we will remove it.

Implementation

At start, Welcome checks for a file at github/gitlab that tells if there are any need for a notification. If there is, the text will appear in the upper part of the Welcome window.

Example

welcome

29 Likes

This is an awesome feature. Nice work @manuel !!
:vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

Thanks!
I guess users who are not using the forum actively should see these things as well.
Hopefully this reaches also those users.

8 Likes

Will there be a notification for the important news too??

Also, should we pin this message?

2 Likes

That might be a great addition, thanks!

What do people think? :wink:

In itself a good undertaking. However, many users (including me) turn off the Welcome app anyway, because it is rather annoying after each restart and the forum is also open for many anyway. But still: good work, thanks for the effort! It’s amazing what great work this small development team does!

2 Likes

YESS!

2 Likes

Awesome feature this will at least keep 50% more users informed!
:sunglasses:

:tipping_hand_man: :information_source:

Next… close to tray option :wink:

6 Likes

honka_animated-128px-24

2 Likes

As an alternative, I made a simple script which opens a rofi-dmenu with the latest important notifications, and will open a browser for the selected item. As a bonus, there is an accompanying polybar module.

The polybar is red and with a number of important notifications from within the last 14 days. If there are no notifications it turns blue.

Screenshot-2022-09-25_19:28:21

4 Likes

with desktop notifications.

And screenreader enabled by default!

I can understand that. And this is why the suggestion by @sradjoker above is interesting, we just need to think about the best implementation for it to be useful.

1 Like

Something like
Untitled

KDocker | AUR

1 Like

Some time ago I’ve developed an app for Manjaro which is showing notifications when there is a new announcement in their forums. https://github.com/moson-mo/matray

Should be easy to port that to EOS…

6 Likes

Sorry to be annoying, but shouldn’t it say: ‘There is important news’, not ‘There are important news’?

3 Likes

English is not my native language…
But if all English natives agree, then I’ll change it.

Thanks! :+1:

2 Likes

“News” is singular and uncountable in English. So I believe “There is important news” is correct.

2 Likes

Yep: https://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/news-singular-or-plural.htm

2022-09-26_16-38
:wink:

1 Like