Welcome App Installation!

After long discussions and help from the forum I decided to make a fresh install with BTRFS (online, KDE Plasma)

Booted from the USB flash disk I installed EOS from less than a month ago, clicking on “Start the Installer” gives me another window where I select “online”
I could only notice something like a window that pops up and disappears in a millisecond.

I have connected my my WiFi, (I am already on the live session now)

I thought OK try install the “welcome” app again:

[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ sudo pacman -S welcome
warning: welcome-3.32-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1)          Old Version  New Version  Net Change  Download Size

endeavouros/welcome  3.32-1       3.32-1         0.00 MiB       0.03 MiB

Total Download Size:   0.03 MiB
Total Installed Size:  0.08 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.moson.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from de.freedif.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from endeavour.remi.lu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.alpix.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from ftp.acc.umu.se : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from fastmirror.pp.ua : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.linux.pizza : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from ca.gate.endeavouros.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'welcome-3.32-1-any.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.jingk.ai : The requested URL returned error: 404

Seems like a problem with EOS servers, this is why live install is not working?

In the welcome screen I thought to select “Update Mirrors” and selected the check boxes of “World” and some countries…

Still, no install is showing anything or starting any installation. Even “Offline”

I just thought to double check with you instead of downloading the ISO and setting up the flash disk again!

What can I do? :astonished:
(I feel so unlucky! Why me!)

You should update first before installing software.

You can do both at the same time with:

pacman -Syu welcome

When you get 404 errors during an update list that it usually means that the version of the package in the database is no longer available in the repos. This usually means that your database is out of date.

3 Likes

OMG! @dalto again for the rescue as usual.

[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu welcome
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                                    157.9 KiB   269 KiB/s 00:01 [-----------------------------------------------------------] 100%
 extra                                                                  1711.9 KiB   810 KiB/s 00:02 [-----------------------------------------------------------] 100%

Still working… I hope it will work with “welcome”
But I do not understand how is it possible to install from this same flash disk 3 weaks ago… and now not!
Currently checking this thread… similar case!

UPDATE:
It seems to me it is unable to reach servers??!

downloading required keys...
:: Import PGP key 139B09DA5BF0D338, "David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>"? [Y/n] 
(202/202) checking package integrity                                                                 [-----------------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: libcap: signature from "David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>" is marginal trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libcap-2.65-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
error: libtiff: signature from "David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>" is marginal trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libtiff-4.4.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: lv2: signature from "David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>" is marginal trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lv2-1.18.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/sratom-0.6.12-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: lame: signature from "David Runge <dvzrv@archlinux.org>" is marginal trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lame-3.100-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ 

What does this mean?!

is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

It seems so illogical for me!

1 Like

Try launching Calamares (the installer) from a terminal:

calamares

[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ calamares
KDSingleApplicationGuard: Could neither create nor attach to shared memory segment.
QSharedMemomry::create() failed: QSharedMemoryPrivate::initKey: unable to set key on lockQSharedMemomry::attach() failed: QSharedMemoryPrivate::initKey: unable to set key on lock

KDSingleApplicationGuard::instances: need to be operational to report on other instances
Calamares is already running, shutting down.
[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ 

Just wondering, if I rebooted my already installed system, launch welcome and install from there (or calamares)

I am just worried there is a problem with the servers somehow and I end up with no working EOS.
What you think?

There seems to be an instance of Calamares already running :thinking:

Sorry, I didn’t notice that you were trying to do an install.

First, reboot to get a clean starting point.

Then try the installer again.

You can’t run calamares like that.

I don’t see anything here that looks like a server issue.

Part of the install process is to get the latest keyrings and get everything setup. You haven’t gotten that far in the install so it isn’t. The real issue is why calamares isn’t running.

Try a reboot first.

You mean you can’t launch Calamares from the command line?

You can, if you use the right command and do the proper setup first.

Like this:

sudo cp /etc/calamares/settings_online.conf /etc/calamares/settings.conf
sudo calamares -D8 | tee endeavour-install.log
1 Like

I get it!
Thanks!

1 Like

Just fired up the live ISO. There are are three settings.conf files in /etc/calamares: one for online, one for offline and one for community editions. Thanks again for your explanation!

OK! Done. And we are one step forward!
The installer starts, but with the setup language already selected (my location), but “next” and “previous/back” buttons not working! Only the cancel button.

What if I boot to the already installed EOS and run “welcome” → Install → online from there?

Can you share the full log output? It will be in endeavour-install.log

That won’t work. The install button won’t even be there.

endeavour-install.log.pdf (34.4 KB)
(I hope I did it OK)

After the installer starts, I see a message saying (in brief)

• Endeavour can not be installed
  • Clamares was unable to load all of the configured modules
    -Module that couldn’t be loaded
    summary@summary
    shellprocess@modify_mk_hook
    shellproces@copyfiles

This is so strange!
Can someone after downloading the ISO have this situation? It is the same flas disk I installed from 3 weeks ago!
What if I downloaded the ISO and made the USB flash again?

A normal install should be done like this:

• download the latest EndeavourOS ISO
  • burn the ISO to a USB stick with a proper application
  • reboot
  • let the EndeavourOS installer start from the USB
  • then select what you want to install

Only if you need something special and know exactly how to achieve that, other ways might be required.

(Hopefully I didn’t exclude anything important above… :wink:)

1 Like

I think you should. I wonder if your USB was corrupted somehow.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @manuel
The question now is:
This is the usb I just installed from about 3 weeks ago. Would downloading and making a new USB will work?
What is the logic of this one not working and the new ISO will work?!

just successfully installed EnOS Artemis without any problems. was also an online installation.

1 Like

If the USB is working OK and you have the latest EndeavourOS ISO on it, then no need to download it again.