We need your help to create an optimus install script

we try to have hardware detection, but it could be also simple a helper script with options to add for the different hardware/DE/DM combinations what will work without the need to detect hardware, but can fail if you use it wrongly :wink:

1 Like

Oh well, i removed that part somehow from my memory :laughing:
Yeah, user input is probably best idea anyway.

P.S. Anyway, if you need list of current Nvidia Hybrid / Optimus GPUs ping me iā€™ll try to dump it like in my good old windows driver modding times :upside_down_face:

The MATE Optimus indicator will not appear unless you have a compatible system and the appropriate drivers are installed.

(c) https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-optimus

The ā€œcompatible systemā€ part might be of interest perhaps something useful can be found in source code :upside_down_face:

This one which suffered more during the short 5.10 period than during the three years beforeā€¦

[roger@roger-lenovo ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A 
  Device-3: Acer EasyCamera type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4

An unintuitive info I grabbed from the old tuto is that Nvidia-settings may behave as a ā€œBumblebee killerā€. In any case, I could not make it work (good luck for me) and finally, after reading this, I dropped it.

Bumblebee is reported to be worst for performances. It may make life easier though.

is also not in any way to be used on new hardware it is still usable for some older systemsā€¦ but there are only a few left compatible with the latest nvidia driver, so it will pass away soonā€¦

i am sure they will use some general use hardware detection framework used by thatā€¦

Hi!

Iā€™m new to the eOS community, but it seems like an awesome distro, I am daily driving stock Arch Linux with MATE right now.
I have an optimus setup right now, here are the outputs of the two commands:
lspci:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Xe Graphics [8086:9a49] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
2c:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX330] [10de:1d16] (rev a1)

inxi:

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX330] driver: nvidia v: 460.39 
           Device-3: Realtek Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4 

If a consensus has not been reached, I have been working on a tiny script for my distro-hopping, so that I can easily set up my Optimus drivers. I could easily add a GUI and expand it to add more options, such as choosing to only use one GPU or PRIME (use prime-run to run with NVIDIA, otherwise run with Windows, supported by nvidia and same thing windows does). I do need a project to contribute to anyway, and eOS seems great toā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Continuing on, I had another idea, which is that maybe Endeavour can have something like Manjaroā€™s mhwd (Endaveour OS Hardware Configuration? eoshwcfg :laughing:) that lets people do more things in addition to the Optimus configuration, for example choose between proprietary or open source drivers, fix screen tearing, install sound drivers (sof-firmware is pretty awesome), switch between kernels (like the latest stable version, the latest LTS version, Zen, etcā€¦) and more.

Iā€™d love any feedback or ideas on this!

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

Oh huh, that seems pretty slick. I have yet to try Garuda yet but Iā€™ve heard good things about it, although mhwd does have itā€™s fair share of problems.

Also, itā€™s nice to see you here jonathon! I (and Iā€™m sure many others) really appreciate the work you did on manjaro, and were saddened when you left.

1 Like

I did install first optimus-manager rather easily but once it was done, I realized that I had also to fine tune the ā€œpower managementā€ and this proved to be too much for me. So, I reverted to bumblebee, because I mostly use the integrated GPU and very few my Nividia card.

1 Like

lspci -vnn | grep ā€˜ā€™ā€™[030[02]]ā€™
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop) [8086:3e92] (prog-if 00 [VGA control
ler])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] [10de:1b81] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])

Graphics: Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver: nvidia v: 460.39
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 3440x1440
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.39

Edit: added inxi output.

1 Like

You havenā€™t installed the inxi package ā€¦ available via pacman

1 Like

Thanks. There should be a GUI that allows to choose these tools to be isntalled. :smiley:

1 Like

Dell Precision 7510 with KDE Plasma as DE

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] [10de:13b1] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] driver: N/A 
           Device-3: Sunplus Innovation Dell E5570 integrated webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4 

1 Like
aur/egpu-switcher-git 0.16.0.r0.gd22ce2e-1 (+0 0.00) 
    Distribution agnostic script that works with NVIDIA and AMD cards.

eGPU stands for external GPU?
Itā€™s not exactly same as Optimus i guess

yea but is this also a thing? who use such stuff?

Well yeah iā€™ve heard of it, it usually aimed for someone with less powerful laptop, slimbook or somethingā€¦

And then when you come home you can use eGPU to play games or create 3D graphics, something like a dock station but only for GPU

Personally i havenā€™t encountered anyone whoā€™d use eGPU, but since itā€™s still on a market - probably someone uses it :laughing: