We need your help to create an optimus install script

do you build optimus-manager-qt with enabled plasma feature?

I just use the AUR package aur/optimus-manager-qt 1.5.3-1
As I sometimes run Cinnamon/XFCE, and it works happily there also.

the PKGBUILD have an option for including some plasma specific stuff and packages needed for this:

# Maintainer: Shatur <genaloner@gmail.com>

# Use KDE API features (recommended for Plasma users)
_plasma=false

# Submodule versions
_singleapplication=3.1.3.1

Ah I see. Nope, didnā€™t know I could. Hasnā€™t made any difference for me not having it enabled.

it is working fully then no issues ?
I think this is for a better integration into plasma only as i can see:
it installs: knotifications kiconthemes
but also is compiling with the flag:

cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$pkgdir/usr" -D PLASMA=ON

This would be great. I couldnā€™t even get Optimus to recognize my 3 monitors besides the laptop. I am running Cinnamon and connect through an Alienware graphic amplifier (desktop video card with monitors connected there). The inability to recognize the monitors was the same if I ran without the desktop card system and used the internal laptop video card (980m) with an extra monitor connected directly to the laptop through HDMI. After installing with the Nvidia option in the installer, all is working fine just without the ability to configure card use.

lspci -vnn | grep ā€˜ā€™ā€™[030[02]]ā€™
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] [10de:1401] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] driver: nvidia v: 460.39
Device-3: Sunplus Innovation Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB
driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel,nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1: 1920x1080
2: 1920x1080~60Hz 3: 1920x1080~60Hz 4: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4

1 Like

https://9to5linux.com/how-to-connect-your-laptop-to-an-external-monitor-on-linux-fix-for-hdmi-no-signal-issue

Sadly, got rid of my only Optimus laptop about 6 months ago because it had the worst designed keyboard in the history of laptops.

1 Like

I have no issues connecting an external monitor except with Optimus.

article say the same second display works only if you where using nvidia as primary, same for you?

Yes.

I am not really an expert on mhwd but is that really how it works? I was under the impression that it was just a framework for detecting certain types of hardware and then taking action in a unified way.

Are we sure the non-standard things that they are concerned about are not artifacts of the specific implementation in the Manjaro scripts as opposed to mhwd itself?

If it did what you wanted it to do, it seems there would be some advantages to using a framework like that over a bespoke script.

1 Like

Clarify that already :wink:

It will need some time to understand how MHWD works and what we would need to use it.

3 Likes

Yes, works fully, no issues. For my machine it is also the case that if I wish to use an external HDMI monitor then I must be on nVidia chip.

I think that one of the most important things with these optimus configurations and linux usage is weeding out the documentation, getting rid of the old stuff that doesnā€™t do a great job, so that the best solution is available. I know that is not an issue here on EOS, as I can find the correct docs easily, but other distros have information plastered everywhere, and frequently seem to rely upon the forums.

And just musing aloud here, as I donā€™t know how possible it is, but could there be a grub switch that gets passed to the kernel loader if the display system fails with the usual black screen? And an extra grub menu entry to trigger that? Thatā€™s the main gripe with getting anything nvidia to run properly; if it fails for whatever reason you are left with a black screen, and no recourse other than live-usb reboot, chroot, etc. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong?

This. TNE and Libre are already making great strides, but with some more development along these lines thereā€™s potential for it to be made more robust and extensible for all Arch-based distros.

Then, it could be renamed to ahwd (ā€œarchā€) (or ghwd (ā€œgenericā€) - if youā€™d prefer an omghwd command).

1 Like

should be possible to have a boot option added to boot to cli or blacklisting nvidia and using the open source driver (modesetting) from kernel itself.
@manuel

this will work also with blacklisting nvidia and using nouveau instead

2 Likes

lspci -vnn | grep ā€˜ā€™ā€™[030[02]]ā€™
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile) [8086:3e9b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] [10de:1f15] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA TU106M [GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile] driver: nvidia
v: 460.39
Device-3: Chicony HD User Facing type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel,nvidia
resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4

Agreed.

Here are the details for my laptop (ASUS UX461UN) I can try different installation options, etc if you want some help testing anything. This is a secondary laptop, so itā€™s okay if I run into issues.

~ >>> lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]\]'                                                                                              
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 [8086:5917] (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GP108M [GeForce MX150] [10de:1d12] (rev a1)
~ >>> inxi -G                                                                                                                        
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX150] driver: nvidia v: 460.39 
           Device-3: IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: wayland server: X.Org 21.0.99.1 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4 
~ >>>      

@joekamprad
When weā€™re talking about Hybrid / Optimus what exact info do you seek from lspci / GPU?

I believe i still have enough skills to dump at least all of Nvidia Hybrid / Optimus GPU models from Windows Nvidia x64 driver, if it helps to build list for Nvidia.

Itā€™s not most ā€œsmartā€ approach to just hardcode stuff, but seems there are no other way around it to universally detect Hybrid / Optimusā€¦

And even more, there are some edge cases when you can disable Optimus in BIOS and use one of chosen cards as only dedicated ones (extremely rare) / mod BIOS to make that option available, so in that case probably hardcode detection would be mistake (i believe in such case technically lspci and any other tool will still see both GPUs listed as they were before in Optimus mode, however you wouldnā€™t be able to install Optimus drivers for it to work. It will work only with usual drivers which youā€™ve chosen)ā€¦

But anyway that case is:

1. Pretty damn rare
  2. User should be aware at that point of what heā€™s doing anyway, if he switched it in BIOS