Warning: The root device is not configured to be mounted read-write!

Well, i agree that it doesn’t feel right. I guess there is still something wrong due to the hard reset, unfortunately. Maybe you need to take a deeper look into your disk(s).

let it run when you have the time for it :neutral_face:

i have no experience with that, but i don’t think so. Did you run from a recovery shell / a live environment?

1 Like

You’re right, it would bug me too.

Regarding the fsck you ran manually. Did you actually repair anything?

Maybe try running fsck.ext4 -p to automatically repair or try to force a check with fsck.ext4 -f to mark the device as clean.
[Edit] Oh, and you should unmount the device before checking or repairing file systems. But you probably know that.

2 Likes

From USB live environment

Nope…Just ran extremely quick and nothing was found / fixed
Output was normal

Thank you i’ll read man on those options and try it out! :slight_smile:

Yep, luckily fsck also warns you about it, because if you don’t you can loose data :scream:

Might still be worth running with fsck -f so it runs a check even if the FS is marked as “clean”. -c (check for bad blocks) might also be useful, though that will take a while.

1 Like

Ok so i’ve ran fsck.ext4 -f for all drives:

1. It definitely actually runned this time, took at least some time (although pretty fast)

2. System disk was totally fine

3. On two of my 4 Tb storage drives (one of which was the one which i used to watch movie in VLC), i had been asked few times about:

Inode <some number> extent tree (at level 1) could be narrower. optimize <y>?
    Inode <some number> extent tree (at level 2) could be narrower. optimize <y>?

I’ve said y to everything, although from what i have read - it’s not a major error / problem.

At the end both disks had message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

4. After reboot still got the fscking message! :japanese_goblin:

So i guess should try with -fc now…?
30% of system disk, so far (0/0/0 errors)

1 Like

Finished fsck.ext4 -fc for system drive, got:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

in the end, so it fixed something i guess :upside_down_face:

Guess what…
Yep, still got this fscking message on reboot!! :astonished: :scream: :scream_cat:

So that’s why systemd sucks…:thinking:
(c) keybreak

:rofl:

Are you dual-booting with Windows ?

Run a memtest from a live iso too; page faults in your RAM will fsck your harddisks.

4 Likes

@zangoku
No, God forbid!
Only :penguin:

@onyxnz
Will do, thx!
I had no idea that’s the case

3 Likes

Do you have a backup of your root file system?

File system corruptions are relatively rare, especially for ext4, but they can happen.

Only home, seems to be intact :slight_smile:

Yeah…Well running fsck.ext4 -fc should have noticed that…hopefully?

Running Memtest86 with defaults “as is”, no errors found so far

I was asking because it messes up with hard drives if you shut it down or restart pressing the actual buttons. I made a shortcut with a command that shuts it down without messing my drives in the start menu.

1 Like

I know, i know…Was unlucky enough to not enable [Tip] Enable Magic SysRq Key (REISUB) on exactly this machine :cold_face:

1 Like

Single pass for memtest should be enough?

Not to be captain obvious but you check your cabling yes?

1 Like

Meaning SATA?
Yep cap, and also if there would be a problem SMART would’ve been full of UltraDMA CRC error types, but there’s 0 (however i still need to do full long SMART check, will do after Memtest)

Yes, it would usually show up very quickly.

1 Like

Ok, RAM is fine, did full single pass

Going for that one next:

smartctl --test=long /dev/sda

Something tells me that will be wasted 272 minutes, but since we don’t have anything else for the time :sweat_smile:

I was researching this errors which caused initial freeze and came to this russian part of arch:
https://archlinux.org.ru/forum/topic/20418/?page=1#post-238682

Here’s google-translation:

So…
My CPU is Intel i7-4770k

Could very well be that stupid anti-hacker Intel crap :thinking:

Should try

cpuid -1 | grep -i SMAP
cpuid -1 | grep -i SMEP

or

grep --color=auto smap /proc/cpuinfo
grep --color=auto smep /proc/cpuinfo

after running full smart, what do you guys think about that info?

Yep, i have smep…So if i add nosmep to grub and reboot, then remove it i guess it should work, will try it out later

smartctl --test=long /dev/sda

have wasted 272 minutes, disk is fine :sleeping:

Tried adding nosmep to grub - still fscking message! :crazy_face:

Can somebody tell me what’s that all about?! :rofl:

2 Likes